Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mining  (Read 1915 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mining
« on: January 04, 2009, 09:21:57 pm »

Give us rock for every tile regardless of skill, skill affecting only speed much like woodcutting

Also, remove it and furnace operating from the list of artifact eligible labors

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mining
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 09:41:24 pm »

Why?

It should affect the amount of rock you get because that rock is the usable rock retrieved. A completely unskilled dwarf isn't likely to leave nice, big chunks for you to work with.

And why remove it from the eligible labors? Do you really want more shitty legendary craftsdwarves? Miners work with stone, so it makes sense for them to go for a stone-related mood instead of something silly and generic.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 10:10:20 pm »

Miners don't shape stone, they dig it out in crude lumps. I don't see such a profession gaining anything from making a mug or a statue. Same logic as for furnace operating. At least let me mod it

I really just dislike a production skill destroying a nonrenewable resource randomly. Woodcutters don't splinter the logs they try to cut

If quarrying chunks of natural wall is ever added, I could see that requiring skill

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 01:33:50 am »

It makes sense. But I think that gems should be ruined by bad miners. Ores and other general chunks of rocks should be fine.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 06:56:56 am »

Why?

It should affect the amount of rock you get because that rock is the usable rock retrieved. A completely unskilled dwarf isn't likely to leave nice, big chunks for you to work with.

Yeah, but smelting doesn't need nice big chunks.

L0j1k

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 07:30:44 am »

Greetings everyone! I found this game a few days ago and I am TOTALLY addicted.

With mining, I think skill of the miner SHOULD definitely affect his ability to produce rock. There should also be an option (a toggle of sorts) to choose NOT to produce rock. Your miner should be equally skilled at NOT creating rock as he is at successfully doing so.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 07:35:18 am »

With mining, I think skill of the miner SHOULD definitely affect his ability to produce rock. There should also be an option (a toggle of sorts) to choose NOT to produce rock. Your miner should be equally skilled at NOT creating rock as he is at successfully doing so.
Check out the "realistic mining" thread.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 08:28:51 am »

While stone all over the hallways that can't be cleaned up in a reasonable time period is a problem, this is the wrong solution. What method of digging out a cubic area (say 5ftx5ftx5ft, even though tile sizes aren't really precise) do you imagine would "not create rock"? (well, sure, it's not technically _created_, but it's not destroyed either. thermodynamics and all that)

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 11:30:35 am »

I actually draft my legendary miners so I have a large number of lesser miners getting rid of useless rock. When I want good rock, ore, or gems, I leave 'em and wait until my lesser miners gain some skill.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 05:31:28 pm »

Why?

Yeah, but smelting doesn't need nice big chunks.

True, but building chairs/blocks/cabinets does. :P
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 01:00:31 am »

I agree that we should at least have gravel chips, saiol and small chunks of stone if nothing else. Perhaps these could be could for small crafts, decorating (mosaics perhaps) ore smelting, or even simple construction work. Concrete or gravel walkways, filler and reinforcement could be used if nothing else. Even a growing pile of slag and rubble outside could help reflect the mass displaced in a large mining effort.
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 01:40:34 am »

I agree that, at the very least, metal ores should never be ruined by bad miners. In reality, mined ores aren't hauled off in huge chunks, but in fist sized lumps, which are going to be melted down anyway.
!!&!!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 10:59:02 am »

Possibilities:

A rock is always created, but in the case of destroyables (either ore or gems or whatever) it can be in the for of the containing layer.  (Failure to mine diamond leaves a kimberlite rock)

B Rock is created, or detritus.  Most detritus is useless and will rot, but ore detritus will not and is useable in reactions.

eh?

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 01:47:46 pm »

Possibilities:

A rock is always created, but in the case of destroyables (either ore or gems or whatever) it can be in the for of the containing layer.  (Failure to mine diamond leaves a kimberlite rock)

B Rock is created, or detritus.  Most detritus is useless and will rot, but ore detritus will not and is useable in reactions.

eh?

I'm worried that that won't be extensible to a more flexible reaction system - maybe choose based on economic stones (which could be extended easily) which ones should "rot" (or, rather, abstracted cleaning of non-useful rubble) and which should be gathered up.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 02:21:42 pm »

I like the cleaned up (faster than hauling, but still requires work)

and a new catagory of economic materials could easily cover this (economic stone, economic detritus), and if we limit detritus to reactions, just automatically add anything that has a reaction to the list.  (You'd have to add detritus as an option to the smelting action, which would be good, because you should add blocks as well)
Pages: [1] 2