Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How to handle addy in next release?  (Read 4862 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to handle addy in next release?
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2007, 01:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by puke:
<STRONG>think of it this way:  maybe the demon isnt trapped inside a wall of adamantium.  maybe the demon is IN the adamantium, and hes a little pissed that youre mining out bits of him and making hammers out of it.</STRONG>

I freaking hate it when that happens! I mean, what's with some people? Cutting off bits of you and smelting them like that?

If the adamantium contains little demon-bits, what will that do to the items you make of it? Hmm... Maybe they slowly corrupt whoever owns them, eventually causing them to go on a murder spree or something.

What a great way to get rid of nobles! "Here, have an adamantium bed to sleep in!"

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2007, 01:56:00 pm »

Then secretly replace "bed" with an adamantine golem. Hammertime!
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

jellyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2007, 03:58:00 pm »

The way I would imagine it working Lord of the Rings style:

Deep down under the ground is 'under dark'.  Within the underdark live lots of nasty things including a  mega demon.  Mining deep enough to find adamantium means mining deep enough to open a connection to the underdark caves (bascially just a mega chasm).  Once this is open the mega demon is aware of your fortress and wants to destroy it.

But the mega demon doesn't necessarily want to do its own dirty work. It summons hordes of minions from the under dark to assault the fortress.  Simultaneously hordes of goblins assault from outside.  Coincidence?  Or dark powers at work?  No one yet knows.

And sometimes the mega demon is in the mood for a little fun.  So he wonders around the less inhabited outer corridors of the fortress and eats whoever he can find.  If he runs into determined military resistance he fades into the shadows.  If somehow killed - that is just his physical presence and he can summon another 'avatar' within a few weeks.  It is rumoured that some mysterious artifact lost to dwarf kind for centuries may be able to permanently affect this demon....

And of course certain denezins of the underdark can mine through solid rock.  So if you block up the passage connecting the fortress to the underdark, they'll just dig a new connection elsewhere.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2007, 10:47:00 pm »

Thats an interesting idea, but it would nearly double the time spent generating the world.

If creatures lived at different elevations then your dwarves could too! A "magma" fortress in the new version would no only be beside the magma river but deep underground. Possibly with no connection to the surface.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2007, 08:01:00 am »

Isn't "underdark" from AD&D?

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2007, 01:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning4:
<STRONG>Then he charges out and starts slaughtering nearby kittens and nobles</STRONG>

I think demons should have extra vulnerability to kittens.

g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2007, 02:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ookpik:
<STRONG>

I think demons should have extra vulnerability to kittens.</STRONG>

And be particularly attracted to nobles... due to... all the bling they wear!

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2007, 07:56:00 pm »

Nah, you've got it backwards.

"FOOLISH DWARVES! Gaze ye upon your destruction, for I am Umomsobith, scourge of a thousand worlds, devourer of all that lives. For centuries I have bided my time in my adamantine prison, awaiting the day I might be released to resume my reign of death and decay. Yea, the reward you shall reap for my freedom shall be torment unending, hellish agony for all of eternity, for not even death shall grant you release from the pain I am about to unleash upon you. All souls within these halls shall be made to suffer; your anguished cries shall echo across the mountainside as a trumpet-call, heralding the end of all things. Weep, ye dwarves of Wheeldaggers, for-"

"No time for that, young man! You need to start cracking on that order of green glass goblets!"

"-your young will drown in rivers of blood; the stench of decay as your pathetic mortal shells decay will... wait, what?"

"Goblets! We need glass goblets!"

"I, uh... I don't think you're quite understanding this. Look, I'm the destroyer, right? Prophecies of the end times, any of that ring a bell? The black devourer, bringer of the apocalypse, doom of all creatures upon the earth?"

"Well, I don't care who you are. I am the Mayor, and I say we need those goblets!"

"You don't get it, do you? You can forget about the goblets. Goblets are irrelevant. The end is upon you, dwarf! I am Umomsobith! I bring you pain and torment undying!"

"Do it in your own time, then. A hobby's all well and good, but some things need to be saved for after you're done with your work."

"You don't pay me at all, you bleeding sack of pus! I--uh, wait. What's that behind you?"

"I don't know what's up with the younger generation these days, too wrapped up in your little apocalypses and eternal damnation and whatnot..."

"Wait, turn around. Look over there, is that... yes, it is. There's a great huge pile of freaking glass goblets right over there."

"Oh, yes, I know. Disgraceful, isn't it? Here we are, we're practically a mountainhome in our own right, and this is all the goblets we have to show for it?"

"WHAT?! Look, dwarf, right behind you is the largest pile of goblets ever amassed anywhere in the world. It's practically a mountain in its own right. Any day now you could have expeditions from other dwarven kingdoms arriving to colonize your mountain of green glass goblets. How the hell could you possibly want, let alone NEED, any more gobl--wait, did it just move? What the hell?! There appears to be a small child trapped inside your pile of goblets... you have a child literally SWIMMING in your gigantic heap of goblets. Look, I've seen some pretty sick stuff, being the incarnation of pain and terror, but this... this tops them all."

"Yes, fine, fine, whatever. Look, I can't spend all day listening to you moan, I've got goblet factories 5, 6, 10-14, and 19 all falling behind schedule. Honestly, I have no idea how they'd ever manage to get by without me..."

"I... urrrgh. I think I feel a headache coming on. I'm going to go back to the adamantine prison and lie down for a while."

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2007, 01:14:00 am »

Makes you wonder who's the real demon   :p

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2007, 03:22:00 pm »

That is probably eerily close to reality or fantasy in this case.
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!
Pages: 1 2 [3]