Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SemiMegabeasts  (Read 773 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
SemiMegabeasts
« on: January 04, 2009, 08:19:06 pm »

You know, I've noticed a large abundance of mods which include new megabeasts, and there are even quite a few mods (and board posts) which add megabeasts alone. Theres a wide variety of them now.

But I've seen almost nothing that adds Semimegabeasts; despite the fact that the tag seems to be more interesting then the megabeast tag (the creatures can reproduce and such, after all) - and the only semimegabeasts in the default game are a few similiar varieties of giant.

Any thoughts on why this is so?

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SemiMegabeasts
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 08:31:58 pm »

You know, I've noticed a large abundance of mods which include new megabeasts, and there are even quite a few mods (and board posts) which add megabeasts alone. Theres a wide variety of them now.

But I've seen almost nothing that adds Semimegabeasts; despite the fact that the tag seems to be more interesting then the megabeast tag (the creatures can reproduce and such, after all) - and the only semimegabeasts in the default game are a few similiar varieties of giant.

Any thoughts on why this is so?

"reproduce" makes me think that they would have an adverse affect on world gen, a lot like another civ.

Also, who wants semi when you can have the Real Deal? It might just be that 'MEGABEAST' seams more awesome than 'SEMImegabeast...'

And lastly, I'm 99% sure that semimegabeasts don't show up at your fort to say hi. Why add them in the first place if you won't get to see them? (barring adventure mode)
Edit: And apparently I'm wrong  :-[
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 08:36:57 pm by Sinergistic »

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 08:38:08 pm »

Aye, most mods are created for fort mode play. Semi megabeasts are pretty much pointless if you only play fort mode.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 08:44:50 pm »

I've made quite a few of them in a mod I plan to release after the next major update to DF arrives.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

StrikeTheSand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 08:48:53 pm »

When I mod DF, I try to add in a little bit of everything to the mix.
I figured demons came from the 50 or so years of inbreeding between the things, like some weird goblin evolution.
I now have justification for genocide. Thank you.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 04:29:01 pm »

My mod has a few semi-megabeasts as well. But it's true that they don't show up too much in fortress mode unless you embark on a cave.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One