Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Apprenticeship/Tutor system  (Read 1169 times)

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you really butcher this kitty?
    • View Profile
Apprenticeship/Tutor system
« on: January 04, 2009, 07:41:31 pm »

Did up a quick search, couldn't find anything on this.

The Idea is, Instead of hanging out near the well/statue garden/Dining hall The entirety of their miserable childhoods, Kids will start following other dwarves around when they near adulthood. They'll watch the dwarf do their job, and learn from it. They might more likely to adopt the profession of a dwarf they admire (Read; Older siblings/Parents/Legenadry Dwarves). This'll train them until they reach the non-descript skill level, so that When they mature, They won't be completely useless and grow up to be Slain recruit #64 or Engraver#19. Of course, Noble children will probably follow their noble parents around, resulting in another useless noble with no skill and a fancy title, but at least You'll have more useful dwarves.

Military skills would probably work different, and the Kid would choose a weapon at random and hang out in the barracks or Xbow range and watch people spar/target practice. Then, they'd gain skill in their chosen weapon, as well as armor use and shield use if they choose a melee weapon.
[CREATURE:VINCENT]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Apprenticeship/Tutor system
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 08:20:43 pm »

Well they mature at 12, I think it's a bit early to try to teach them any professions in the child stage

Kids hauling from say, 6 years and onwards would certainly help

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 01:37:11 am »

I quite like this idea. It's similar to what the Dark Sun dwarves do :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 04:49:10 am »

Well they mature at 12, I think it's a bit early to try to teach them any professions in the child stage

Kids hauling from say, 6 years and onwards would certainly help
Kids are even sent to school from ages 6 and onward. They could certainly learn a lot by watching, but of course they'll get distracted and chase butterflies quite often, so they won't be a reliable part of the workforce.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 04:55:47 am »

Did up a quick search, couldn't find anything on this.

A 'quick search' for 'apprentice' or 'learning' or 'tutor' or any number of other things brings up all sorts of stuff.

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 11:12:54 am »

Apprenticeship sounds awesome. I actually made a thread about it the other day, but it's kinda wordy and I botched the idea by making it too complicated. I'd love to see apprenticeship in the game though :D

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 11:34:02 am »

I'd agree with this; or at least a way to give young dorfs the toy axes/hammers/miniforges I keep making for them to ignore.

GAAAAH.