Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wagons, more realistic animals, and beginning option  (Read 908 times)

arcane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wagons, more realistic animals, and beginning option
« on: January 04, 2009, 03:35:14 pm »

Love the game, it's refreshingly addictive and has sent me to the other wiki a couple of times for geology lessons.  I have not read through all 200+ pages of the suggestions forum, so apologies if these have been suggested before. Also I have practically no programming experience, so I have no idea how difficult any of these would be to code.

First, it would be nice if the starting wagon could be moved.  Perhaps not releasing the drought animals until after deconstruction.

Second, it would be more realistic, and possibly much more annoying, if animals got thirsty and went to the local watering hole/pond/bucket when they so desire.  Additionally when milking is added perhaps the animals other "byproduct" could be added for use as fertilizer.

Lastly I would like it if once embarked, the game begins in a paused state.  Once I lost a hunter to a Unicorn before I was able to turn off his hunting labor and assign dogs.

Keep up the good work.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Wagons, more realistic animals, and beginning option
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 04:47:15 pm »

Second, it would be more realistic, and possibly much more annoying, if animals got thirsty and went to the local watering hole/pond/bucket when they so desire.  Additionally when milking is added perhaps the animals other "byproduct" could be added for use as fertilizer.

Yeah, right now only your dwarves need to eat/drink. Prisoners, tamed animals, captured beasts etc. don't need to eat/drink at all, and it's absolutely unrealistic. Hopefully this is gonna be changed soon enough.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 09:06:16 pm »

I want to be able to force feed prisoners and crazy people

Melancholy should result in suicide, not moping until they starve. As is, I've yet to see a single dwarf kill themselves by throwing themselves off cliffs

Steal a rope from the stockpiles and go to your room. Or a tree in the forest. Steal a short sword and slice your neck open. Do something you bastard, dying of thirst is stupid

LrZeph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 10:39:02 pm »

Steal a rope from the stockpiles and go to your room. Or a tree in the forest. Steal a short sword and slice your neck open. Do something you bastard, dying of thirst is stupid

.... Thats just ^$*&ing ominous, But my thirst for realism has forced me to agree with you.
And everyone knows, when the Dwarves come out of the walls, it's all over.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 12:53:14 am »

Lastly I would like it if once embarked, the game begins in a paused state. 

This is an option in the init file
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 02:06:05 am »

Melancholy should result in suicide, not moping until they starve. As is, I've yet to see a single dwarf kill themselves by throwing themselves off cliffs
Funny, mine threw himself in the boiling lava pretty quick.

Actual cliffs are rare presently, it seems.

How do you get it to pause on startup? I know you can pause on load, and on autosa'e, but this doesn't fix it unless you make it autosa'e on embark, which I  don't want.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 07:36:13 am »

[PAUSE_ON_LOAD:YES]

Newest version has it below the autosave options.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 08:49:57 am »

"[PAUSE_ON_LOAD:YES]"
This setting does not pause on embark. I just tested it again to confirm this.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 06:32:45 pm »

However you can set

[INITIAL_SAVE:YES]
[AUTOSAVE_PAUSE:YES]

the downside being that it also saves, but that's not really a big deal.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.