Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you bring a fort into adulthood?  (Read 2034 times)

Sassbeard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How do you bring a fort into adulthood?
« on: January 04, 2009, 04:13:19 am »

Newish player here. I can get my fortress self-sufficient with 7 dwarves and can keep it self-sufficient up to above 30-50 with no issue. I'm just not sure about what's next. What's the midgame all about?

Let me give you my build order and you tell me what you think:
1. Carve out a main chamber, room for workshops, meeting hall, stockpiles.
2. Carve out barracks/apartments below. Add farm plots.
3. Smooth and engrave my fortress so far. Add statues liberally. Add chests to the rooms.
4. Await migrants.
5. Migrants arrive, expand apartments.
6. Begin a small militia.
7. Now what??

What is the next step you all usually take?

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
Re: How do you bring a fort into adulthood?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 04:16:09 am »

7: Train trade-good producers
8: Produce stone crafts
9: Exploratory Mining
10: Buyout caravans
11: Get forges running, magma if possible
12: Fortify against attack
13: Megaprojects!
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 04:17:42 am »

Well, when a fortress reaches maturity strange and wonderful things happen to it. Parts expand, things grow and many things you don't fully understand start to happen. Soon you will have your first experience with Nobility. Now I know you have heard of Cooties or whatever from the other kids, but let me tell you nobility is a wonderful thing. At least, it will be in a few years. For now you have have strange experiences with them, and it would be best to avoid them 'till you have your emotions under control.

Also, I should teach you how to construct a megaproject. Boys your age often start now, so be sure to keep an eye out for the proper way of doing it. Botching it is painful and can cause tears.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ElChad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 04:28:47 am »

Well, when a fortress reaches maturity strange and wonderful things happen to it. Parts expand, things grow and many things you don't fully understand start to happen. Soon you will have your first experience with Nobility. Now I know you have heard of Cooties or whatever from the other kids, but let me tell you nobility is a wonderful thing. At least, it will be in a few years. For now you have have strange experiences with them, and it would be best to avoid them 'till you have your emotions under control.

Also, I should teach you how to construct a megaproject. Boys your age often start now, so be sure to keep an eye out for the proper way of doing it. Botching it is painful and can cause tears.

Wow didn't know there was a "Talk" for Dwarf Fortress... The Giant Eagles and the Beak Dogs?

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 04:41:52 am »

Wow duke..That was aweosme. Lets stick 'er on the wiki.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!