Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Chasm Workshops  (Read 2865 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Chasm Workshops
« on: August 29, 2007, 01:06:00 pm »

Hi!

I am not sure whether this will even be an issue in the next release (will there be a chasm designation making it a special area?), but if there is something like the chasm, it would be interesting if there was a workshop actually making use of it.

I mean you have the mill taking advantage of the river.

And you have the magma forges that make use of the magma.

Only the chasm is left out cold.

Especially since we can't be sure which features are there to in our new locations, having some kind of workshop associated with each of these terrain features could add to the feel of each region.

Just a spontaneous idea while reading about the magma forge bugs.

Deathworks

PTTG?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://2funnyguys.com
Re: Chasm Workshops
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 01:32:00 pm »

Ah, but isn't chasming a special use?
.@..**@.

Gask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 02:22:00 pm »

The chasm is just a big pit, what do you think it should be doing that it isn't already?

I just wish there would always be a chasm civ, its so dull without them.

[ August 29, 2007: Message edited by: Gask ]

http://l052.mybrute.com Come and meet my dwarf eating bear

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 02:24:00 pm »

Bungee-jumping workshop!
"It's unpossible!"

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 02:45:00 pm »

I can't honestly think of anything you might use it for. Except maybe windmills, if it's large enough to have it's own weather patterns?
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Felix the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 04:52:00 pm »

Well, if the chasm is a very deep pit, it's likely that it is a very cold pit.

The rest of your cave being dug inside insulating rock and being heated by the magma, it is probably a very hot cave.

Perhaps some sort of workshop that collects the cool air from the chasm? You could then build vents elsewhere and connect them (via mechanisms) to this workshop. Dwarves would receive unhappy thoughts from working in the heat too long, and cooling down your magma metal industry would become vital to preventing all of your magma furnace operators and metalsmiths from throwing tantrums.

I'm not sure what the appropriate "fantasy" name for this workshop would be.

termitehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 06:29:00 pm »

Chasm fishing?  for worthless crap that may be down at the bottom?  perhaps boots and discarded stuff.  maybe you'll get lucky  ;)

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 07:48:00 pm »

I could see a crane or something that could provide multiple levels of z-transport at once, and not be usable by invaders.  This wouldn't necessarily be for the chasm alone, but anywhere you needed a defensible access point crossing multiple levels.

threetoast

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 12:36:00 am »

Instead of a workshop, it could be a sort of watchtower, that, when manned (dwarfed?), gives some sort of warning of a chasm invasion.
-Hey Urist, wanna go down to the hall to get a drink?
-Naw mate, can't do. I'm on fire. I wouldn't want to ruin the booze for everybody.

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 12:44:00 am »

Tourist area. I rewall my entire chasm wall with green windows, its probably quite a scenic and green pit when looked from within my fort.

Black Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 02:03:00 am »

quote:
Well, if the chasm is a very deep pit, it's likely that it is a very cold pit.
The rest of your cave being dug inside insulating rock and being heated by the magma, it is probably a very hot cave.

Perhaps some sort of workshop that collects the cool air from the chasm? You could then build vents elsewhere and connect them (via mechanisms) to this workshop. Dwarves would receive unhappy thoughts from working in the heat too long, and cooling down your magma metal industry would become vital to preventing all of your magma furnace operators and metalsmiths from throwing tantrums.

I'm not sure what the appropriate "fantasy" name for this workshop would be.

Why would the chasm be cold? Is it refrigerated? Big empty spaces don't get freezing cold just because they're big and empty. If the chasm is open to the outside air, it'll be as warm or as cool as the outside air. If it's not open to the outside air, it'll be the same temperature as the rest of the mountain around it. Either way, it makes no sense to riddle your fortress with Silent Hill-esque industrial fans in order to pump in air which would be nowhere near cool enough to deal with the heat coming off of a river of molten rock anyway.

The chasm's purpose is garbage dumping. There's no other even vaguely realistic use for a big empty hole. Not even unrealistic uses, that I can think of.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 02:28:00 am »

Maybe wind power like mentioned, but more crude, and used for simple mechanical things like making additions to workshops like faster and easier grain milling, powering a forge's bellows, pumping water (useless since wells fill this purpose already)

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 07:55:00 am »

It would be logical to assume that the chasm is colder than the playing area, as cold naturaly go down and heat naturaly go up. But it would make no sense to assume that the difference in temperature would be so extreme it would be usefull for something.

Plus, the air would probably be pretty foul down there, with all those creatures and all... :P

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 09:50:00 am »

Since temperature increases with depth at the scale we're working with, an extremely deep chasm would be hot at the bottom and cool at the top, leading to convection that would make it a bit drafty.  Probably only drafty enough to make it unsettling, especially if you're walking across a narrow bridge, with bats fluttering about your head, and you hear footsteps in the dark ahead of you, footsteps mingled with a scratching sound, and it's getting closer, and maybe that's just an echo but it sounds like there's more on the opposite side as well, and just as you catch a glimpse of a beady-eyed creature clambering up onto the bridge, between you and the safety of solid ground, a sudden draft blows your torch out, leaving you in pitch blackness.

So yeah, nothing that would be useful for a workshop, but it sure would add a lot of flavor.

Baneslave

• Bay Watcher
  • Claymore Thrower Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 02:10:00 pm »

Noble catapult for faster moving over (to) chasm?
[BUTCHERABLE_SIGNATURE]
Pages: [1] 2