Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves should get exhausted.  (Read 1608 times)

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
Dwarves should get exhausted.
« on: January 03, 2009, 08:53:28 pm »

Topic. Did a quick search, and couldn't find anything along these lines.

The current system is that miners can and do mine out bunches and bunches of tiles, with no thought to how exhausted they are. I propose that labor-intensive jobs make dwarves get exhausted, such as mining, building, hauling, tree cutting, smithing, and probably a few others.

For those who want to edit the raws, perhaps each job could have a raw of its effects on dwarves, and labor intensive jobs can get [EXHAUSTS] tags. Since these jobs tend to make people happy, too, there could be a tag for [MAKES_HAPPY] for an extra happy thought every now and then.

There could also be tags for mentally challenging tasks, such as [MENTALLY_TIRES], which would affect how other mentally challenging tasks are performed. That could go away with a few days of working in a non-mentally tiring job.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves should get exhausted.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 09:06:27 pm »

I did have a dwarf manually operating a pump. After a while I got a cancel message saying he was too tired to pump.

So it does seems like something of the sort already exists, but just doesn't apply to all you suggested.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 09:17:21 pm »

Yes, currently pump operators are the only ones who get exhausted.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Athisus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 10:09:46 pm »

I think dwarves who operate querns get tired too.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 10:14:53 pm »

I think it has mostly to do with the fact that very few jobs can actually tire a dwarf.

Toady may need to seperate two things

Fatigue and Exhaustion

Fatigue represents energy over time, this doesn't recover quickly and can be specific to bodyparts.
Exhaustion (bad term) represents short term energy that constantly recharges itself.

A Exhausted Dwarf catches their breath, maybe taking a break
A Fatigued Dwarf is done for the day.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 10:31:03 pm »

I would say that there's a third attribute: tiredness, which is only helped through sleep, and represents sleep deprivation. A fatigued dwarf can be fatigued to the point where he can't work any more, but not yet tired enough to go to bed. (This happens to me a lot--helping move people in and out for most of the day, going to get dinner, then coming back and finding I simply am unable to pick heavy things up any more, but not tired--perhaps thanks to endorphines, or something.)

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 10:47:55 pm »

I think a properly fed, watered, and pampered dwarf should only get tired from the most arduous tasks. If you let your dwarves get hungry, thirsty, or unhappy. it would make sense for them to get tired, however. It might make sense for overall happiness to have an effect on how fast your dwarves work. If they're happy with their life in the fort they'd work hard, but if they're unhappy they'll begrudgingly work. Then again I think the threat of a fortress-wide free-for-all is enough incentive for the player to keep the dwarves happy  ;)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 07:01:00 am »

As long as it doesn't result in dwarves making maybe 20 goods before saying fuck it and taking the rest of the month off

If we ever have a day rhytm in the game, labor could accumulate break minutes. Once collected break time meets remaining time in the day, they take time off. People who work little would never get breaks as it's reset when they go to sleep

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 05:02:06 pm »

If you use Dwarf Companion, you will see that exhaustion is in fact an integer.  I was using the tool to figure out why a particular mood wasn't progressing (it looked like he was stuck on getting a rock) and at some point during my futzing he actually wore himself out and fell unconscious (didn't cancel the mood).

So it doesn't need to be added, but rather made so more jobs cause enough of it.

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 08:00:40 pm »

labor-intensive jobs make elvesget exhausted,

Fixed. Also: Humans, Goblins.
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

Rokiyo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 07:48:43 pm »

Dunno how it plays out later in the game, but I've noticed that in those opening 10 or so minutes my 2 miners go for a drink earlier than my woodcutter does, and the woodcutter drinks earlier than the rest. Could it be that most hard work simply makes dwarves thirstier, as opposed to exhausted?

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 08:00:06 pm »

Differing stats affect sleep and food/drink needs

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 08:25:01 pm »

I propose that labor-intensive jobs make dwarves get exhausted, such as mining, building, hauling, tree cutting, smithing, and probably a few others.

Definitely. Btw, we will have a new attribute in the next version [+ other new attribs also]: ENDURANCE
I think that this attribute should control the physical exhaustion.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 08:30:49 pm »

I think that Toady mentioned that that would be the case, yes.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 03:08:09 am »

While we're at it, giving birth should make the creature in question exhausted as well.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?
Pages: [1] 2