Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Died of Natural Causes?  (Read 3095 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Died of Natural Causes?
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2009, 01:45:50 am »

Why make it a different mechanic? Miasma[bad air] is what was belie'ed to cause disease, at the time.

And I seem to recall some biological warfare actually being period (dipping blades in refuse, or the oft-mentioned catapulting of corpses). But I could be wrong.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2009, 09:32:03 am »

Ah man, now I'm thinking of dwarves abusing shower nozzles. And sharing it with you because misery loves company

I recently helped a fellow translator who was translating something about "abuse-proof shower heads". She seemed to suspect they were proof against some kind of immorality ("but zees ees wall mounted, at ze level of ze ead, ow can anyone abuse that?") ... too bad she had a boyfriend.
... in the end, tamper-proof turned out to mean simply "impossible to tie a rope to" or, in plain words, suicide proof.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2009, 11:30:22 am »

Showers were first invented a few thousand years ago. I think we can safely say that they're within the scope of DF tech.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2009, 11:45:19 am »

Showers were first invented a few thousand years ago. I think we can safely say that they're within the scope of DF tech.

Yeah that is true, but again....perhaps having showers in the game would be kinda ridicolous. Sims Fortress anyone?  ;D

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2009, 11:47:33 am »

Yeah that is true, but again....perhaps having showers in the game would be kinda ridicolous. Sims Fortress anyone?  ;D

Ohhhhh! but i want a hot tub! and a robot! and a heart shaped bed to make snoo snoo in!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2009, 11:49:16 am »

Ohhhhh! but i want a hot tub! and a robot! and a heart shaped bed to make snoo snoo in!

Well yeah...we have soap also, so maybe I spoke too soon.  ;D

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2009, 12:24:05 pm »

A shower can be a bucket with holes in the bottom. I see no problem with that.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2009, 12:26:51 pm »

Whut? that's for surface dwellers, Real dwarves uses waterfalls

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2009, 12:28:17 pm »

Whut? that's for surface dwellers, Real dwarves uses waterfalls

A shower can also be a waterfall or getting rained on. Also, elephants.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2009, 12:33:01 pm »

My dwarves won't accept anything short of a bath. None of this bucket with holes nonsense

Now to just enable water pathing for swimmers so my magma heated swimming pools actually get used

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2009, 04:58:46 pm »

Yep, diseases would add an entire new angle of strategy. They would also probably require you to dedicate about 5% of your dwarves to nothing but cleanup duty...especially in large forts. They would also make aboveground forts more appealing; no miasma, no disease.

That being said, the Captain would probably require an entire fort built around him as a quarantine.

Or, y'know, actual cleaning facilities. Like a Shower building.

Nist Akath has shower facilities. They do not clean the Captain. The Captain has bathed, showered, and once swam up a waterfall to my amazement. None of these led to cleanliness.

Urist McDwarf has been happy lately. He ate a fine meal lately. He took a luxurious shower lately and is now perfectly clean. He had a truly decadent drink lately.
Thats exactly why you'd need a quarantine. Or maybe a bath in magma.

As for micromanagement, there could just be a new skill, similar to cleaning; something like maintenance, or maybe hygiene. Then the dwarfs automatically take care of it. Immunities could also be introduced, forcing players to deal with a small infection early on, or face fortress wide ruin at the hands of some simple disease that noone is immune to/vaccinated against.

Majorlag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2009, 05:25:15 pm »

You mean dwarves pumping magma through the nozzle at invaders, right?

Notice: Please be careful when adjusting the shower temperature to prevent accidental meltings.

--The Management
The True Adventures of ___________

Insight into the minds of Dwarf Fortress Players - Random Quote of the Month:
He once spent a week visiting a cave in which there lived seven giants.  Each day, he would come in, track down each of the giants, and beat it to the point of unconsciousness.
Pages: 1 2 [3]