Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Died of Natural Causes?  (Read 3099 times)

Grumblefish

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Died of Natural Causes?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 10:06:11 am »

Question is, does poop generate high pressure methane if sealed in a chamber underground?

Not only would it explode in a force to split the ground open, it'd shower the countryside with shit! And if it's a semiliquid like magma, you could drown people in it

If by "people" you mean "psychopathic tree-huggers who want to kill and eat me because they dislike my sustainable industry", then yes, I could drown people in it.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 10:09:25 am »

I don't know the actual life span of a DF elf, but i guess they live more then dwarves  :'(
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 10:17:10 am »

I'm a bit curious about this...

Is it even possible for any dwarf, human, or Elf( >:() to die from natural causes?

I"ve never heard of this happening, EVER.

Do people just drop dead or something? has it ever even happened?

Yeah I've seen dwarves dying of old age in my ~120y old fortress.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 03:26:09 pm »

Yeah I've seen dwarves dying of old age in my ~120y old fortress.
Which is why I mod my dwarves to prevent that.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 06:11:10 pm »

I don't know the actual life span of a DF elf, but i guess they live more then dwarves  :'(
DF elves are much like Tolkien's elves - they're immortal unless killed in battle...well, while that's true, it sounds a bit daft, so I'll rephrase: DF elves have an indefinite lifespan

In an unedited game, goblins also have an indefinite lifespan, dwarves and kobolds will live until they're 150-170 (immigrants are all pretty young so you'd need to have a game running for over 100 years to see any dwarves die of old age) and humans live until 60-120 (quite a big gap, but realistic)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

roundedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 07:44:22 pm »

Diseases would make the game impossible.

Disease spreads out of no-where.
Lots of dorfs die.
Dorfs get angry that their semi-half-brother's freind died.
Tantrum spiral.
More disease from dead bodies.
Everyone is dead.

I think it would make the game more challenging. Toady would have to include more mechanisms to keep these things from happening, like you could hold burial services at a temple in order to prevent too much unhappiness from the death of friends. Like was said before, you could also have a medical system, which is something I would like to see. As for disease from dead bodies, it would add a strategic element to the construction of tombs.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 08:21:30 pm »

Yep, diseases would add an entire new angle of strategy. They would also probably require you to dedicate about 5% of your dwarves to nothing but cleanup duty...especially in large forts. They would also make aboveground forts more appealing; no miasma, no disease.

That being said, the Captain would probably require an entire fort built around him as a quarantine.

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 09:05:32 pm »

It would be cool if certain things generated green 'Disease Clouds' like miasma, and had a random chance of infecting anything inside the cloud - even animals. That way you'd have to make sure nobody ate diseased animals.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 09:09:56 pm »

Yep, diseases would add an entire new angle of strategy. They would also probably require you to dedicate about 5% of your dwarves to nothing but cleanup duty...especially in large forts. They would also make aboveground forts more appealing; no miasma, no disease.

That being said, the Captain would probably require an entire fort built around him as a quarantine.

Or, y'know, actual cleaning facilities. Like a Shower building.

Urist McDwarf has been happy lately. He ate a fine meal lately. He took a luxurious shower lately and is now perfectly clean. He had a truly decadent drink lately.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 10:03:42 pm »

They didn't even have sponges, I can hardly justify a shower nozzle. A bucket and a bar of soap with charges before disappearance would work for basic hygiene. Sure, a magma heated swimming pool is very dwarven but how would the game recognize such things? The water would probably need changing too, micromanagement doesn't sound too appealing

Ah man, now I'm thinking of dwarves abusing shower nozzles. And sharing it with you because misery loves company

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 10:11:56 pm »

Well, they're capable of steel when all other civs use mostly iron.

I daresay if anyone makes a water nozzle, it'll be the Dorfs.

C'mon, admit it, you'd like a Shower. Just put it over/near water, wash dorfs, ???, profit.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2009, 10:14:24 pm »

Well, waterfalls already have a shower effect to my knowledge

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 10:14:31 pm »

They didn't even have sponges, I can hardly justify a shower nozzle. A bucket and a bar of soap with charges before disappearance would work for basic hygiene. Sure, a magma heated swimming pool is very dwarven but how would the game recognize such things? The water would probably need changing too, micromanagement doesn't sound too appealing

Ah man, now I'm thinking of dwarves abusing shower nozzles. And sharing it with you because misery loves company

You mean dwarves pumping magma through the nozzle at invaders, right?

Right?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2009, 10:18:11 pm »

Or, y'know, actual cleaning facilities. Like a Shower building.

Nist Akath has shower facilities. They do not clean the Captain. The Captain has bathed, showered, and once swam up a waterfall to my amazement. None of these led to cleanliness.

Urist McDwarf has been happy lately. He ate a fine meal lately. He took a luxurious shower lately and is now perfectly clean. He had a truly decadent drink lately.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 01:36:16 am »

ill laugh when all my dorfs start dying of AIDS
Pages: 1 [2] 3