Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Very newbie friendly succession game?  (Read 1142 times)

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Very newbie friendly succession game?
« on: January 03, 2009, 12:14:16 pm »

Hiya as said many times, Im loving this game. It is also great when I found out that people have made these succession games, unfortunately I am quite clueless about how they work.

I noticed in certain ones, the way they worked was that players were joining the game when a dwarf was born, I'm just wandering do they usually have it so that if that dwarf dies you are out of the game?

Also the aspect of turns, I think some played a turn as 1 year game time, I am not to familiar with how DF handles dates so would appreciate if someone could point me in the direction of a page which will explain how the DF date system works.

Another thing, are there any other general rules I should be aware of for these games? I am considering participating in one if it was newbie friendly but with going back to uni very soon it would be handy to be able to hand over my turns to someone else, I would hope that I could safely find the time to play a year as and when required though.

Once a turn is completed, e.g my turn, do I just rar the region folder and send it to the next person who is due their turn?

Just curious as to what I must know before considering these games

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: Very newbie friendly succession game?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 12:34:44 pm »

First of all, note the difference between community fortresses and succession fortresses.

A community fortress is a highly story-driven fortress played by one person.

A succession fortress is a fortress played by many players taking turns.

Generally, anyone can claim a dwarf in community fortresses. This usually consists of a name and a personality, although if you claim a founder you can sometimes get to choose some of the equipment.

Succession fortresses generally consist of one guy playing for a set time, usually a year, then sending the save folder(region1 or region 6 or something) on to someone else.

There aren't really any set guidelines for these, just use your common sense and lurk a little.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 12:58:28 pm »

Thanks Boksi :D I am doing just that, watch and learn and all that :)

Actually I just noticed a game with the rule "No quantum Stockpiles" What does that mean?

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 01:40:16 pm »

If it means what I think it means at any rate, no using garbage dumps to help control stockpile sizes.

A known exploit is to designate a single tile as a garbage dump, and then dumping all the rocks/ore into the pile. You can claim them later, and it then functions as a stone stockpile, in a single tile with thousands of varying types of stones in it. You can do this with anything, really, but I've not found a way to control what goes into the dumps yet.

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 02:02:25 pm »

ahh okies, just as a matter of interest, if you dis-allow that, how are you going to relistically clear rooms of rocks so that you can make stockpile rooms or rooms full of buildings? Its just rocks obstruct things in my game so Im constantly dumping them in one square, I tried using a rock stockpile the way it was intended but they fill up to fast.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 02:27:59 pm »

The quantum stockpile thing isn't so much the dumping of loyts of crap into one garbage tile, but reclaiming it afterwards and using the massive stack as a stockpile.

Usually people don't have any problem with digging a channel and treating it as a bottomless hole for dumping stuff like rocks which are just in the way. (The channel is optional but I ike it, feels better to be chucking rocks down a hole. :) )

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 04:09:04 pm »

Note that many succession games love to include new players since the game runs too smoothly otherwise :P

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 07:29:55 pm »

Also, in case you want to start getting away from the quantum dumps, a fairly common way to clear stones is to build a mason workshop or craftsdwarf shop in the area you want to clear and using it to make blocks (easier to store since they stack in bins) or trade goods.  Since they use the closest stones they'll clear the area out and then you can deconstruct them when you're done.  If you're building something in an area filled with stones the dwarves should clear the stones to make room (unless you're [C]onstructing something elsewhere and the stones have been tagged for use in that construction... then you just have to wait for your masons to finish).

Hopefully some of that made sense  :P
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 08:21:13 pm »

I've taken to just dumping those in my way, and ignoring the rest. Of course, I abuse the "quantum stockpile" on my own, put everything in one, and just put it close to the workshops. It does mean a lot of hauling jobs though, so using shops to make blocks out of all the stone is the best solution I've heard.

I'll have to try it when I get my laptop. The comp I'm on now barely tolerates the starting 7. Migrants piss it off.