Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Designated 'Forbidden Zone'  (Read 1458 times)

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Designated 'Forbidden Zone'
« on: December 21, 2006, 08:05:00 pm »

Its happened several times to me, and I'm sure to others, we are under attack and order everyone inside, so our traps and such can do their jobs, and some fools just HAVE to go stand in the doorway to welcome the invaders.

My last fortress, before it flooded, killed 50 out of 60 attacking goblins, before they could take 3 steps thru the front arch. But sadly, I had 5 killed, because they just HAD to go pick up something graciously donated by its former owner who had no further need of it. Would have been far more, but I managed to draft several and order them back out, and then locked the door. But soon as I locked the door, the remaining goblins, who had no trolls with them, started walking away.

It would be great, if we could designate an area like the front hall, as being a "forbidden area", so the dwarves would stay out of that area, like they would stay away from the outdoors when ordered inside. It would also be very useful for clearing out farm and forest rooms, before they are flooded. and even for channels, so we dont get fools "racing the train".

I would like to save my troops and people for the real bad guys, not have them killed by a bunch of wussie goblins. Thats just embarassing. I'd rather leave my traps deal with them. (Tho I did meet a not-wussie-at-all goblin axe lord, who managed to swim a channel halfway from the chasm drowning room, to a bridge that crossed that channel in my nobles section, over near the river. He then, even tho he had no weapon, still managed to kill 4 people before he was killed. Goblin or not, he gets a salute from me! Wonder if a klingon was visiting, and got mistaken for a goblin?)

ho watches those that watch us???

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
Re: Designated 'Forbidden Zone'
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 12:45:00 pm »

On a side note, you can turn off the gather refuse/item/corpses/wood/minerals on the standing orders screen. This helps with some of the door rushing during sieges but not all of it.

frostilicus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnerpin' the Glorpenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 08:12:48 pm »

Another great reason to have a forbidden zone is motherf**king ice. I'm stuck here, watching my moronic dwarves run around on ice as it's melting. Well, I'm actually stuck here, watching my moronic dwarves drown in the water as it melts underneath them.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 09:10:12 pm »

Now why would Toady put that in? Without it there's so much more opportunity for fun!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 09:25:16 am »

The fortress guard is even worse.  "Nah, who needs tactics or traps?  Everyone, fill the void with our pointless dead!".

Also, I'd like to be able to tell wounded ("unconscious") dogs to STAY AWAY from my entrance hall, which is FULL of rock traps.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 09:28:40 am »

There's a difference between "fun" and "moronic".
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

scale_e

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 10:13:46 am »

There's a difference between "fun" and "moronic".
I had these fire imps, right. I watched for ages as my dwarves kept climbing the mountain witht the volcano, trying to get at the ore that was mined near the top. They'd get burned, sometimes get away, sometimes not. I could have forbid the ore, but I didn't as I was hoping that maybe, maybe this time. They would learn...

...burning dwarf went to get a drink.