Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: [MOD] DFCP [v.B2] 40d13 FULL  (Read 35280 times)

DarkMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a comfort sash, ok?
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Complete [Alpha v5] (+new creatures)
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2009, 09:42:01 pm »

This is a cool mod, but please please please change the name of the Asian race. 'Nippons' is incorrect and sounds like 'nipples'.

Why not 'Nihonjin'? Sounds cool, and it's the actual term.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2009, 05:16:38 pm »

Ok, so here is my request. I will repay the giver(s) in any way I can.

Basically I love the tileset to pieces, but I have modded this to play as the norse, and fight against all the other human races along-side the dwarves. The tileset is gorgeous for the most part but.. The walls are a bit.. Square.

If you'd like you can go ahead and look at healedabbey. Go ahead, look. It won't kill you.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4942-healedabbey
Ok? Ok.
Now, that tileset has one redeeming feature: The walls.

TL;DR: All I ask is you mod in
's walls into the existing tileset.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2009, 01:06:19 pm »

If ye won't mod it in, can you at least explain to me how to myself?

And I don't mean "just move the walls over the existing ones". I mean seriously.

NOT EVEN A "NO"? RAWRHGHAHKDGHSGHASDHGH
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 04:51:29 pm by Im_Sparks »
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Complete [ver A5]
« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2009, 09:52:02 am »

Oh great, I think I was just too long away from my mod. I will spend time to make "better walls",

Also Nippons are not nipples :). If others don't like it I am going to change it. Brainstorm :).

I've modded a few new weapons and armor for goblins. Desert people are next.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2009, 09:56:13 am »

Oh great, I think I was just too long away from my mod. I will spend time to make "better walls",

Also Nippons are not nipples :). If others don't like it I am going to change it. Brainstorm :).

I've modded a few new weapons and armor for goblins. Desert people are next.

nippons sounds fine =)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2009, 12:45:05 am »

I like the 'Nihonjin' suggestion. Not sure of the accuracy at all, (it does sound cool) but it's even less recogniseable than 'Nippon', which would further distance it from the idea of modding Real World Japanese in. Not a bad thing for a fantasy game.
For they would be your masters.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I quite want them to be a recognizable culture :).
Anyway it's a minor issue.

The new a bit updated version is up, it has updated graphics (rounded walls and a hill picture), I've fixed a few typos and also it comes as a stand-alone install (no need to unpack in DF folder) and with a pre-generated world with all races. The info on world is in the post 3 in this thread, with detailed list of civilizations, creatures and a map.

P.S. Also Nihonjin and Nipponjin is actually almost the same. "Nippon" was used originally, "nihon" is modern and became popular after 1940s. But to be more accurate, we should call then nikkeijin since they live not in actual Japan :). So just let them be for a while as they are I think. You can always change their name for yourself with 1 quick notepad editing.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 08:12:10 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any chance of a 40d11 download? :P

If not, I'll give it a go myself. But what will I need from the download?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Here it is:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1021
I haven't packed the pre-generated world in it, you can get it from the 40d version. Just copy /data/save folder.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 12:35:08 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here it is:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1021
I haven't packed the pre-generated world in it, you can get it from the 40d version. Just copy /data/save folder.

Thank You, that is brilliant. Keep up the great Work!!!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I plan to revamp creature speed (i.e. a wolf should outrun an unexperienced dwarf and cheetah should be faster than an elf, also swimming speed is totally messed up in DF), it should be a save-compatible change.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

OK, seriously, this is the first time I bump my own thread.

Any feedback, comments, ideas? I've returned to it to make it more enjoyable, but it looks like noone is interested... despite the fact that it has 50 new downloads and 466 downloads total. I'd really like to have some feedback. I have a few ideas for a new version, but they are minor (like penguins and various flavorful items).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile

What's with all the harpy queens running around? I killed one, and felt very proud... Until my next harpy queen kill. I now have 6 harpy queen heads in my flax sack. :P

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I think I should rename them or try to limit their biomes :). Well, I planned them as test to give adventurers some ability to trade (these heads are quite expensive, as well as a werewolf head).
They are originally called "queens" because they are stronger than usual harpies... I bet "harpy hag" would be more suitable. I think I've played too much Heroes of Might and Magic 3 back in those days :). Thanks for the tip.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is an ambitious project, and I'd like to congratulate you for the work that must have gone into making this. It's good to see people trying to approximate things that are currently missing from Vanilla DF. Still, I am of mixed feelings about certain parts of the project.

Beware, this is something of a rant.

When fantasy books or games make a direct allegory to a culture from the real world, I admit that it makes me wince. Not only does it seem corney and contrived, but it also drastically oversimplifies a myriad of peoples with different ways of life into fusions that reek of Western Skin-Color based grouping of peoples and cultures. I like the notion of different "cultures" existing within a given race in DF, and this is a nice alternative until Toady codes some method for factions of a race to develop styles of dress, modified ethics, and cultural affinities for certain styles of weapons/armor/materials.

Still, I'd like to see something a little less Euro-Centric. The fact that the "Western" peoples are the ones called "Humans", and everyone else is "different" is a bit sore with me, but additionally the grouping of a multitude of indigenous Asian cultures (Korean, Tibetan, Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, to name a few) and indigenous Lapland cultures (Norway, Finland, Sweden, Northern Russia, etc.) into what are essentially skin-color based racial generalizations is more than a little offensive to me.

I'd much prefer to see you create a handful of original cultures, with different ethics, perhaps different tools/technological specialties, and significant differences in clothing style (most of that could be controlled with Clothing Frequency in the Civ Raws) rather than transport Eurocentricised "Earth" cultures into DF fantasyland.

As an aside, calling them "Westerners", "Norse", and "Nippon" is silly, since these names relate to real-world languages, and the first two relate to the Nations' relative positions from Old England. Perhaps you could call them something else, maybe even using the DF Human dictionary to describe some part of their ethics or culture, or something about what sets them appart. Even just calling them the "Sun Children", the "Plainsmen", and the "Winterbloods" or something would alleviate some of the Real-World stigma I'm getting right now... though they're still all thinly veiled allegories.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 11:20:06 pm by Solifuge »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12