Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: [MOD] DFCP [v.B2] 40d13 FULL  (Read 35260 times)

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Complete [Alpha v2]
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2009, 06:03:43 am »

Oh, and I can't decide should I name humans or not. Let them be "humans" or name them "nippons", "nords" and such?

I'd prefer it, it's only a easy change to the [NAME] token and it would go a long way to cut down on the confusion of finding out what civ a human is from.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 06:05:37 am by Smitehappy »
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2009, 06:19:51 am »

It was cool to have various "humans" in fortress mode but it's too confusing when you play adventure mode. Any suggestions for desert people race?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2009, 06:45:09 am »

It was cool to have various "humans" in fortress mode but it's too confusing when you play adventure mode. Any suggestions for desert people race?

Hmmm, well I'm probally wrong on this but most middle eastern cultures relied heavily on blades so maybe focus on mainly edged weapons. As for clothing I think a quick google on Middle Eastern culture would give you alot of ideas. Getting a good balance in the entity file so they mainly stay in the desert biome without frying will be a tad difficult but I'm sure it won't take long to get it right. As for the name, just pick a middle east nation or you can just call them zareth which is the dwarf name for desert.

http://www.geocities.com/normlaw/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 07:07:40 am by Smitehappy »
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2009, 07:55:04 am »

Actually they have swords and poleaxes/spears mainly, as it should be. Spears were used quite often because they were better than swords in mass combats. Just check the 1st post ))). Other weapons like maces or hammers have just a single/rare item to allow appearance of hammermen/macemen, however their main arsenal consists of the bladed weapons.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2009, 08:21:51 am »

Meh, maybe make the desert civ build mainly with glass since sand should be in abundance. Glass weapons, buildings, etc. Though I suppose it's pretty far-fetched.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2009, 08:31:52 am »

It's not possible to make civs to make items from anything but metal/wood/leather/cloth.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2009, 11:09:16 am »

Here're the sprites for norse I'm working on. Any ideas for unique maces?

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2009, 12:39:41 pm »

It looks like this thread draws not too much attention (well, it doesn't have a lot to offer) so I post new creatures I've added for the next release. I need to draw tiles for them though.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 12:55:41 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2009, 12:40:46 pm »

Mjöllnir.

Well, it's a hammer not a mace, but would fit.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2009, 12:54:45 pm »

The problem is that it's a name not a type of a weapon :). It's basically a war hammer.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2009, 03:44:34 pm »

Any ideas for unique maces?

Not every faction needs each type of weapon. The norse were very found of the shield wall tactic,the primary weapon in the formation is a spear; even a sword is secondary. Compared to the other secondary weapon, the one handed axe, a mace would have all of the disadvantages (unbalanced) but none of the advantages (a cutting edge).

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2009, 04:03:37 pm »

Oh, sorry, thought you were looking for unique individual weapons, not weapon types  :-[

Dunno about maces, but nordic axes would be like a bearded axe (could come in one or two handed varieties). Seax would work for a short sword/ big knife: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seax

Don't know what maces would really fit with a nordic theme. I've always stereotyped that sort with hammers and axes. And spears of course. Maybe stay simple and just give them spiked or flanged or studded maces. Or flails... they could be made with the mace skill.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 04:13:04 pm by Fleeb »
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2009, 05:21:57 pm »

I just took a look at this now.  I don't think I'll download it (at the moment) but it looks pretty cool. 
About the fire and ice weapons, I put those in the LEGO mod and I haven't heard complaints, so I don't think that you should need to remove those.  I know what's wrong with the hammer picks, too.  Mining is hardcoded.  It doesn't work like other weapon skills, because miners are set to unarmed combat.  Adding the weapon tag confuses that.  It works perfectly as the weapon, but the miners won't equip it because they aren't set to use that kind of weapon.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2009, 03:22:05 am »

Thank you, Legolord, I've fixed the hammerpick. Also, about nords, I'm going to give them some of the finnish weapons you could see in the Unreal World roguelike. And spears are definitely good, everyone from japan to greece used them in mass fights :). Sadly we can't use combat formations in DF yet.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2009, 05:17:14 am »

OK, I've managed to setup biome settings and clothing layering for norse to live in tundra, taiga and seldom on glacier, but I'm going to give them damblock of 1. Well, at first people living in such climate should be tough. But also they have a GREAT natural problem with polar bears. These evil monsters ambush cities quite often. Right now I've started as an adventurer and a polar bear got an iron bolt in his brain and still managed to shred the crossbowman into pieces and tear both fisherman's arms off before bleeding to death. Also he died with my right hand in his mouth :(.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12