Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: [MOD] DFCP [v.B2] 40d13 FULL  (Read 35266 times)

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Complete [Alpha v5] (+new creatures)
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2009, 01:31:50 am »

Sorry I count provide more info but at this stage I lack DF modding skills.  The razor bow armed elves are nice, I had 2 of them carve  up a goblin ambush.  As I said, if you can add any more nasty fliers (or if anybody else can suggest!!!) id enjoy it greatly.  Id recommend that you check out neoadepts zombie mod is its current format if only for the smelter reactions, hes done some clever stuff which may inspire. 
good luck with the exams.  If that fails you can help me come dig my hole (I cant mod but I Know how to make booze!!)
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2009, 02:07:12 am »

If my exams fail I can help you to dig up your hole? Where's your hole you dig up? :)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2009, 02:42:56 am »

Australia, probably a bit far if you are a non english speaker, but maybe we could join holes somewhere in the middle?
  Hell, maybe Ill just dig harder.  And convince my girlfriend to dig.  To the mines boys!!  SLAP.  ow, I mean people.

Yay, Deons back!! relationships are doomed anyway.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 02:47:19 am by jester »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2009, 03:13:04 am »

Oh, sometimes I don't get you. Which relationships? :)

And yea, right now I'm sitting here (and making a 3d model for a friend's game) while my uni group tries to pass the "statistics physics" (I don't know the right name in english) exam :). I just decided to pass it another day because I wasn't able to prepare myself good enough :(.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2009, 03:52:46 am »

which relationships?  hmm when it come to a new *quality* DF mod then the one with my boss, co-workers and any significant females that I may have in my life at that moment.

If your uni is anything like mine then any class with the word "statistics" in the title = useless bullshit  somewhere down the road.
  Dont worry, if it all gets too much just wait for a scrapeing under the floor and a sudden explosion of shortarse bearded australians.  We will be there to help  (and drink all your booze but thats just a given).

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Complete [Alpha v2]
« Reply #95 on: February 08, 2009, 08:25:50 am »

It was cool to have various "humans" in fortress mode but it's too confusing when you play adventure mode. Any suggestions for desert people race?

im skipping some pages posting this, so forgive me if its allready been mentioned, but a middle eastern race would be great, and they had different weapons, architecture, art, and social values.

again, sorry for posting without reading the last few pages, but it really bugged me, as in, like a white hot lump of molten cockroach burning through my brain that a japanese race would make it into a european medievil fantasy setting before such geographically closer and more likely group themes as the mongols, africans (someone mentioned nubians), celts, Persians (or any empires from the middle east, think the crusades), and even bronze wearing ancient Greek or roman themed ones.

i do recognize that japanese samurai vs western knight is a popular geeky preocupation nowadays, and that you seem to have chosen them as a race to add in because you know an awful lot about them and their weaponry and warmaking, but it still kinks my brain around. guess i have some serious carry over from how some writers and D&D gamers, etc mash japanese themed stuff so horribly into generic fantasy.

anyways, my rantis done. this mod looks really neat, and a lot of good work has been put into it. i especially like the idea of heat/cold runic swords. can we make fire resistant armor as well? also,  an aztec/mayan themed jungle dwelling race is only a short step away, their freakish obsidian sword/club weapons are already in vanilla DF. again, i laud your achievement, this looks really neat. if i play it i assume i can always remove the Nipponese group from the raws so i don't have to go crazy.

EDIT: ive read the thread now and stand by all my mistatements. also, i need to add that i really like the sounds of these new creatures you are adding in. some of your made up ones like 'nerve spider' and the new demonic entities have pretty interesting names that evoke all kinds of awesome mental images.

if your still after yet more creatures, then how about the huge flightless birds of new zealand? plus their real life giant eagles, and the enormous carnivorous 'demon ducks of doom', large carnivorous flightless birds of australia from 40 000 years ago. actually, any of the big creatures from australia 40 000 years ago are totally weird and often dangerous. try really huge carnivorous kangaroos and wombats, marsupial lions and herds of giant wombatlike grazers. here is some ideas generating links for you to either use or ignore -

megafauna (lot of these are still alive and in game, check the Oceania section for weird things)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megafauna

island gigantism (including real world giant eagles that only dissapeared in 1400)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_gigantism

australian 'demon duck of doom'. think fast and big and hungry.
http://www.lostkingdoms.com/snapshots/miocene_late_animals_birds.htm

more lists of big dead things
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_World_Pleistocene_extinctions

marsupial lion - ambush from trees. very big teeth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsupial_Lion

aforementioned giant eagle. "The eagle had power in its talons easily sufficient to snap a human's neck, or puncture the skull" for curiosity, as big eagles are kindof already in the game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haast%27s_Eagle

bleh, im done with that fey mood. use the slice of above creature articles as you wish. im off to bed, probably to have nightmares about bunyips, as i came across them in my link finding and i live in australia on the edge of a bush area with lots of watersources. according to myth they are like carp  zombie whales with feathers, hair and elephant tusks. they defended their watersources viciously, hunted at night, and had a terrifying cry. eeeehg. night all.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 09:37:06 am by Cheshire Cat »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 08, 2009, 09:35:25 am »

I was away for some time, and today is my birthday so I am pretty busy, but I plan an update soon which will include midle-eastern themed race for deserts which I wanted to do for a long time. They come as traders and warriors from popular "arabian nights" theme.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 08, 2009, 09:39:04 am »

hooray. happy birthday. you posted while i was typing.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 08, 2009, 12:47:01 pm »

Happy birthday to youuuuu~!

I really like this mod. Keep it up.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2009, 10:24:58 am »

If your uni is anything like mine then any class with the word "statistics" in the title = useless bullshit  somewhere down the road.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_physics

If the theory of probability and Fermi-Dirak statistics are a bullshit for you then yes :).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 10:40:05 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2009, 04:52:46 pm »

dear god. why would you mix something like physics with statistics? that is like taking a bowl of delicious coco pops and adding dollops of vegemite.

i was doing psychology till i deffered to work. statistics in that is unfortunately not BS either, its somewhat essential in any of the research, so you have to know it inside out.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2009, 05:27:13 pm »

Why? Why do you mix a particle with a wave then? XD It's a science, and it uses math apparatus. And no mathematics come without probability and phase dimensions.

And don't mix the humanities' terms and natural sciences' terms. These are opposite ends of a stick.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 05:29:32 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2009, 02:29:54 am »

I never really liked statistics because in the end the answers are always a bit useless.  If I ask a chemist what happens when I mix 2 things togeather  simple answer: "It will explode stupid, get that stuff away from me"   ask a statician (bugger to spell too) and they will say "well it might..."    The amount of ways that you can "fiddle" data in stats is just criminal.  Stick to physics, make a bomb that works dammit, not one that has a chance of spewing forth a swarm of burning unicorns over the land (hey its possible, so it will have to go into a statistical equation.)
  Mind you all my contact with stats was at uni and then through working for other peoples (bs but interesting) psych research projects.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2009, 07:24:49 pm »

I never really liked statistics because in the end the answers are always a bit useless.  If I ask a chemist what happens when I mix 2 things togeather  simple answer: "It will explode stupid, get that stuff away from me"   ask a statician (bugger to spell too) and they will say "well it might..."    The amount of ways that you can "fiddle" data in stats is just criminal.  Stick to physics, make a bomb that works dammit, not one that has a chance of spewing forth a swarm of burning unicorns over the land (hey its possible, so it will have to go into a statistical equation.)
  Mind you all my contact with stats was at uni and then through working for other peoples (bs but interesting) psych research projects.

Wait, so you're saying that statistics has no place in physic? What about when determining where the electron will appear around an atom or the chance of quantum entanglement occuring? How about determining the the chance of a miniature blackhole forming when ramming two atoms together? You can't take subjects like physics as absolutes, especially on the quantum level because the rules sometimes change. You need to be ready to predict the many different possibilities. You can't just assume you know all the rule and expect an outcome.

Also more on topic, I noticed that the giant eagle and groundhog have no image assaigned to them.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2009, 09:38:29 pm »

If I ask a chemist what happens when I mix 2 things togeather  simple answer: "It will explode stupid, get that stuff away from me"
Actually there's a chance that it will explode it's just close to 100% and the example is a bit plain/dumb because quantum physics studies micro processes which can't be described by "normal" physics terms so examples from the everyday life do not count. You know the principle of indefinity (I don't know the right name lol): you either know a speed of a particle or coordinates, you can't know them both exactly. If you approach to maximum definition of coordinates your impulse becomes too random, the same shit is when you try to determine the "true" impulse. Can't do without probability. You've probably studied quite different and unneeded things if you don't get it :).

P.S. Yay for the offtopic :).

Also more on topic, I noticed that the giant eagle and groundhog have no image assaigned to them.
No sprites? Eh, I'll fix it.

Yay I passed the exam so I will try to patch up a new version during the next week.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12