Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: What do you think Plump Helmets taste like?  (Read 13790 times)

Vexorg_the_Devourer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think Plump Helmets taste like?
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2009, 06:14:00 pm »

I imagine the dwarves re-converting the liquids to solids through a mysterious process called 'reverse fermentation.'  I don't ever imagine it making any dang sense.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2009, 06:44:50 pm »

I always figured they tasted like and had the texture of water chestnuts for some reason.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2009, 07:00:52 pm »

Taste and texture of a sour, incredibly overripe pear with musty highlights. In the mushroom is a little red seed that tastes absolutely horrible and looks like a cinnamon Altoid. It's always randomly distributed in the plump helmet, so when you're eating it you either tear it apart and make a huge mess to dig it out, or just take bites and spit the thing out convulsively when you find it.

Trying to keep the rest of your lunch down at the same time is a job for Dwarven Wine!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2009, 05:02:42 pm »

In the mushroom is a little red seed that tastes absolutely horrible and looks like a cinnamon Altoid.

So it's basically a cinnamon Altoid, then.

Grif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2009, 05:13:48 pm »

Dunno why but I've always imagined them looking and tasting like porcini mushrooms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boletus_edulis

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2009, 11:13:41 pm »

Quote from: UristMcGunsmith
Quote from: Vexorg_the_Devourer
For me the real question is what Wine Biscuits taste like.

*  2 cups flour
    * 1 Plump Helmet
    * 3/4 teaspoon salt (If available)
    * 2 tablespoon cat fat
    * 1 cup dwarven whine, frozen

Mince both the plump helmet and the whine.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, minced plump helmet, and salt. Using your fingertips, rub cat fat into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs. (The faster the better, you don't want the fats to melt.) Make a well in the center and pour in the minced whine. Stir just until the dough comes together. The dough will be very sticky.

Turn dough onto floured surface, dust top with flour and fold dough over on itself 5 or 6 times. Press into a 1-inch thick round. Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter, being sure to push straight down through the dough. Place biscuits on baking sheet so that they just touch. Reform scrap dough, working it as little as possible and continue cutting. (Biscuits from the second pass will not be quite as light as those from the first, but hey, that's dorf.)

Bake until biscuits are tall and light gold on top, 15 to 20 minutes.

Prepare to nom

On a glacier it's often cold enough that the complaints of a dwarf freeze solid as they escape his ale-chapped lips.

Then he tantrums.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Sabre_Justice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2009, 06:30:46 am »

I figured they taste like mushroomy grapes.

With a mild poison that acts like alcohol.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2009, 03:58:05 pm »

Plump Helmet Wine comes in a variety of flavors, like Scotch aged in various containers.

Plump Helmet Piscea: wine aged in Fish Barrels.  Exact flavor varies with locale, with a pungent aftertaste in the late season casks.

Plump Helmet Lipido: wine aged in Fat/Rendered Fat Barrels.  This wine slips down easily and goes right through you.  The Rendered Fat flavor has a stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth robustness.

Plump Helmet Caustica: wine aged in Lye Barrels.  Use it to entertain unexpected guests or relatives who stay more than three days.  Also comes in several Venom variants, for the really hard cases.

Plump Helmet Saccharine: wine aged in Dwarven Syrup Barrels.  A specialty for lovers, who can take turns ... well, you get my drift.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2009, 07:15:25 pm »

They taste like my cat.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Aeltar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2009, 01:21:22 am »

I would imagine they taste like either muddy, sandy, or silty (whatever type of ground they were grown in) and slightly poop-scented mushrooms.  Not good-tasting.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2011, 04:22:01 pm »

I think it really bland, and starchy, with just the faintest hint of sweetness. Everyone hates it, but it's really popular in the production of many sorts of cooked foods. Like how the potato was to the Soviets.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2011, 05:06:35 pm »

A necro, but I really don't mind because I'd like to share my opinion on such a topic:

I imagine they would be around the size of a large grapefruit, with a tough dark purple outer skin (like a grapefruit) but would taste somewhat like a red apple, so they would eat that. On the interior of the helmet would be a two fleshy sections, the outer one purple and tasting much like the exterior but sweeter, and would peel much like onions and it would less tough. The inner fleshy section would be a bright orange to reddish colour, stringy with a mushy consistency, and taste tangy like a dragon fruit, with a hint of pickled cucumber. At the center would be a dark red pit.

EDIT: Oh, and they would come in a classic mushroom shape, much like the Agaricus bisporus but with a longer stem
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Of course the pit is contrary to the spawn used ingame, but oh well
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 05:16:46 pm by tommy521 »

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2011, 05:26:46 pm »

I tastes like twelve parts badger,  two parts mushroom, five parts snake.
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 03, 2011, 05:30:38 pm »

They taste like morel mushrooms, which I think probably resemble a plump helmet the most.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 03, 2011, 05:31:28 pm »

I'd suspect they would taste like mushrooms, but x999 bland. They're underground mushrooms with no nutrients, I do not think they would taste very interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10