Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: What do you think Plump Helmets taste like?  (Read 13775 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think Plump Helmets taste like?
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2009, 06:59:26 pm »

Someone once told me that beets could not be fermented, and that was why beet juice was in V-8 juice.  I tried to ferment some V-8 juice, and it ferments quite nicely.  It made a nice, dry, straw-colored wine.  Unfortunately I forgot that V-8 juice has salt in it.  I drank the wine heated, in a cup, like an alcoholic vegetable broth.  It was nicely warming on cold winter days.

Whoa.  It's like a premixed Bloody Mary.

Scope

• Bay Watcher
  • tophats, oh tophats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2009, 07:44:56 pm »

Probably something like...

THIS?!

Stargrave

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATES_ELVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2009, 11:51:22 pm »

dwarves seem to be fine with a pretty low standard of creature comforts. they spend a remarkably small amount of their waking life in the persuit of recreation. the fact that plump helmets can be grown in all seasons in just about any underground conditions marks their popularity by their avalibility and not by their desirability as food. dwarves are simple workers and plump helmets to me seem a simple food. the idea of them being quite bland as potatos really seems fitting to me,especially considering the celtic tropes usually attributed to dwarves. now when we start getting lavish foods like fisher berries and the like (the foods of elves and humans) i think it might be a little easier to imagine a diverse palate from surface crops. elves i think we can all agree are a fussy sort and wouldnt settle for eating something thats barely tastier than a rock.

sorry if i took this thread too seriously and didnt mention grape jam or smurfs :P

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2009, 03:30:31 pm »

I'm pretty sure they just taste like forest floor, like every other mushroom out there.

And yeah, I know how forest floor tastes :/ More than once I faceplanted while mountainbiking... and I tell ye, forest floor tastes not good. combined with a mouthful of your own blood, it aint that bad, however.

And to all the possible gourmets going "but this mushrooms tastes like this or that"... just try a bit forest floor, then come back and tell me, thats not how mushrooms taste...

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2009, 05:04:12 pm »

I'm pretty sure they just taste like forest floor, like every other mushroom out there.

And yeah, I know how forest floor tastes :/ More than once I faceplanted while mountainbiking... and I tell ye, forest floor tastes not good. combined with a mouthful of your own blood, it aint that bad, however.

And to all the possible gourmets going "but this mushrooms tastes like this or that"... just try a bit forest floor, then come back and tell me, thats not how mushrooms taste...

That could be because most forest floors consist of quite a bit of fungus which is what mushrooms are.  So what you are really saying is that mushrooms taste like mushrooms.  Fancy that.  XD

Personally I picture plump helmets to taste something like scotch.  (And the wine would taste like scotch and be as strong.)
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2009, 06:21:38 pm »

The kind of mycelium concentration you get from a healthy bite of singletrail shouldnt actually be noticeable. Well... and if mushrooms taste like earth and earth tastes like mushrooms... why are people eating champignons but not mud?

Dont get me wrong, there are quite some shrooms I love. But they still taste like dirt.

purpl monstr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2009, 07:59:23 pm »

i always thought of them as tasting, well, mushroomy, but much juicier.

like mushroom juice-soaked beard juicier.

i figure brewing booze from them would give something resembling a thin and very alcoholic mushroom gravy.

i'm making myself hungry just thinking about it.

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2009, 10:04:11 pm »

The bread in Middle earth made by the elfs, it keeps you full for days on end, it doesn't really taste good

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2009, 10:37:11 pm »

The bread in Middle earth made by the elfs, it keeps you full for days on end, it doesn't really taste good
Cram was made by dwarves, IIRC.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2009, 12:08:43 am »

Both are half-right, I think. Cram was dwarven and highly nutritious but unappealing in flavor (like hardtack), and lembas bread was made by the elves, could sate one's appetite with but a small handful broken from the loaf, and was supposedly quite a lot more appealing in flavor.

I feel uncomfortably nerdy now.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2009, 01:55:15 am »

The kind of mycelium concentration you get from a healthy bite of singletrail shouldnt actually be noticeable. Well... and if mushrooms taste like earth and earth tastes like mushrooms... why are people eating champignons but not mud?

Because A) They're pussies and B) Mushrooms have caloric value.

;D
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2009, 08:10:15 am »

I'd guess they taste like mushrooms.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2009, 09:15:35 am »

Both are half-right, I think. Cram was dwarven and highly nutritious but unappealing in flavor (like hardtack), and lembas bread was made by the elves, could sate one's appetite with but a small handful broken from the loaf, and was supposedly quite a lot more appealing in flavor.

Well, duh, in Tolkien's books, everything the elves did was better than anyone else's. And their farts didn't stink.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2009, 01:30:59 pm »

Well, duh, in Tolkien's books, everything the elves did was better than anyone else's. And their farts didn't stink.

Yeah. Entirely shit, that.

And the only Dwarf Fortress we got to see was long since overrun by Goblins.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2009, 03:13:24 pm »

To be fair, the single elf member of the fellowship contributed the least of all of them...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10