Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tutorial  (Read 1348 times)

TheMastermind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tutorial
« on: January 01, 2009, 11:07:03 am »

I'm new to this game and i very like the idea of it, the thing is the game is very not freindly to me XD
i can't understand how to play, what all the "!@#$dfs" mean, and i would really want to XD
almost all of the games today have an in-game tutorial that explains how to play and guides you. most of today games are simple and similer and expirienced gamers can understand it quite well without the tutorial, but this game is very diffrent and if i might say the interface is not very user friendly and the manual does not have much detials in it (it could use some pictures).
so, mm.. a tutrial (and a way for me to figure the game until the tut is ready) would be nice.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 11:56:57 am »

In the mean time, try http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm. Not having to decipher the ASCII makes the game considerably more accessible. Pair it with http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Main_Page running in the background and you'll get to a slow start

perilisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 12:05:47 pm »

There's also help in the game using ?

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 12:22:02 pm »

but it is really poor help. Basically, Toady doesn't care about making an ingame tutorial yet - so much stuff will change that it would be a waste of time. And he doesn't care that you don't like that.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 12:25:35 pm »

And he doesn't care that you don't like that.

I wouldn't say that.  I'm sure he cares, but there's nothing he can really do.

Someone might make a video using the game though.  That would have to be a community project, I'm sure, but it shouldn't be too hard.  Anybody interested?

Maybe a serious of them, hosted at the DF video archive or on YouTube or whatnot...

Also:  I found this link by complete accident yesterday, but it's a pretty good Fort guide, with tons of pictures.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Indecisive's_illustrated_fortress_mode_tutorial
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 12:27:42 pm by Tylui »

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 12:29:10 pm »

I think there already are video tutorials. The thing to do when you can't tell what you're looking at is to hit "k"
The great game of Warlocks!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 02:21:35 pm »

There's also the wiki.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 05:50:44 pm »

And he doesn't care that you don't like that.

I wouldn't say that.  I'm sure he cares, but there's nothing he can really do.

Yeah it would be pointless to work on this part of the game right now, since lot of stuff will be changed in the future.

..to the OP:
cpt duck has made excellent video tutorials. You can find them here:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28477.0

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 10:42:23 pm »

Yup, tutorials are a waste of time to make, sorry. Right now, it's still in alpha. The next version is going to flip a lot around, especially with the new stats system.

This is the one that helped me the most:
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Your_first_fortress

It took me a week to learn to play DF. I'm sure it took other people a similar amount of time as well :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 11:08:32 pm »

To clarify, an alpha is where the core, fundamental aspects of gameplay are still in the process of being added, while beta involves tweaking and balancing.  When we say we're in alpha, we mean that the basic gameplay can change DRASTICALLY from version to version, as fundamental features come into play.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 12:54:45 am »

There's no need to put icing on the cake while it's still in the oven.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 04:13:15 am »

There's no need to put icing on the cake while it's still in the oven.

Great, now I'm hungry.