Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need Help with Graphics...  (Read 557 times)

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need Help with Graphics...
« on: December 31, 2008, 11:25:48 pm »

I've been having a bit of trouble with graphics sets. Not the ones that you all have made, they work just fine. I just can't get the ones I've made to work with the game.

I made a custom race, and it works just fine. I just can't get the frugging image I made up for it to display right. I only have 1 tile drawn out right now, I want to get that ONE working before I go on. Instead of displaying my custom tile, it just displays a mess of random characters instead.

Tile is in graphics/custom, and the file is graphics_custom.txt. Can't seem to get this working, figured someone more experienced than I could help.

graphics_custom.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

raptors.bmp (png format shown for sake of preserving bandwidth)

Screenshot of my failure:

When I take out my graphics_custom.txt (such as adding a garbage extension to the end), it'll display the character I chose for it properly (Darkish-green R, if you're curious).

Furthermore, I doubt it'll affect anything, but I am using Mayday's combination graphics pack and tileset.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help with Graphics...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 09:47:26 am »

I think your bmp is in the wrong format here.
Try to open it with Mspaint and "save as..." 24 bit bmp.

Also are you sure that you want ADD_COLOR?

P.S. Also do you paint other creatures? I like yours and I'm currently working on a large-scale mod with a lot of new creatures included so some graphics from other people whould be great if you don't mind to share (I can share some of mine).
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 09:49:31 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 10:27:25 am »

I think your bmp is in the wrong format here.
Try to open it with Mspaint and "save as..." 24 bit bmp.

Also are you sure that you want ADD_COLOR?

P.S. Also do you paint other creatures? I like yours and I'm currently working on a large-scale mod with a lot of new creatures included so some graphics from other people whould be great if you don't mind to share (I can share some of mine).

Ah, 24-bit. That'd explain it. I'm not sure I entirely understand all the tags, so that'd be why I used ADD_COLOR. Didn't quite know what I wanted, heh.

I can paint other creatures, if you'd like. Feel free to use my stuff, I'd just prefer if you didn't sell it off as your own works. But I doubt you'd do that.

Edit: Yay it works. It was the 24-bit thing, like you said. Thank you!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 10:30:37 am by GenericOverusedName »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 10:50:13 am »

I try to credit everyone whos stuff I use so don't be afraid.

Also about ADD_COLOR. Example: you have a gray colored tile which you want to use with different professions. You set there ADD_COLOR and the game replaces white with appropriate color for each profession. If you set AS_IS the game doesn't alter the color scheme. So when you have a creature which is already colored by you there's no point in using "ADD_COLOR".
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository