Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I'm an indie game dev too now! (Machiavelli's Ascent)  (Read 6654 times)

MadKap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I'm an indie game dev too now! (Machiavelli's Ascent)
« on: December 31, 2008, 09:53:21 pm »

Hey guys! I just wanted to share that I made my first game for the Xbox 360! Woohoo! For those of you that do have 360s it would be really cool if you checked it out. It's an xbox community game called Machiavelli's Ascent.

Here's a linky to it on xbox.com
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550159/?of=1

Here's Another Review
http://whoatotally.blogspot.com/

And here's a review with video included:
http://www.xnplay.co.uk/2008/12/30/machiavellis-ascent/

The review of it is... pretty good I guess. Anyways guys I hope you check it out, it would mean a lot to me and let me know what you think of it here. You don't have to buy it or anything (it's only $2.50 anyways... as cheap as they can be on there) just try the demo out... though if you do want to help an aspiring game maker please buy!

And please do ask questions.

Forgot: www.naturallyformedstudios.com
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 11:53:47 pm by MadKap »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm an indie game dev too now! (Machiavelli's Ascent)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 10:24:52 pm »

Well, since you made it, can you tell us what the game is about?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 10:25:57 pm »

From the review, it appears to be about a jellyfish traveling vertically.

That said, the video was broken for me, so sadly I cannot comment on the graphics.

I salute you, however, on general principle!
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 12:09:47 am »

From the review, it appears to be about a jellyfish traveling vertically.

That said, the video was broken for me, so sadly I cannot comment on the graphics.

I salute you, however, on general principle!
Yeps, a jellyfish going up when it hits bubbles and what look like pine trees.

Hey what do the C's mean when the jellyfish hits the red bubbles?

MadKap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 02:15:00 am »

Hah did you get a chance to play or just from the video?

It's just how the particle effects decided to distribute in the video  :D

The premise of the game is, essentially, to reach great heights as a very ambitious jellyfish. The game is an arcade game and thus highscore is your ultimate goal. You can use jumpers (the pine trees  :-\) to launch yourself quickly upwards to rack up combos or shoot for elusive (the red tailed guys) for big bonus. Starfish who follow you for awhile help your score multiplier. All of this, is tied to sound so you create a nice little melody as you ascend. I hope you find it a joyful, relaxing experience. It's a very, very, different game than DF  :P 

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 02:29:22 am »

Oh man, theirs a reason Jellyfish stay so far down in the ocean, it's because they're bodies are reliant on the incredibly high water pressure in order to retain shape! If one were to travel to high, it's body would fall apart!

Can my Jellyfish fall apart spontaneously?

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 03:25:20 am »

Oh man, there's a reason jellyfish stay so far down in the ocean, it's because their bodies are reliant on the incredibly high water pressure in order to retain shape! If one were to travel to high, its body would fall apart!
Totally incorrect. Many jellyfish drift on the surface, the Portuguese man-of-war for example and still others travel nightly to the surface. Also,  a fair amount of jellyfish species are not very resilient to pressure and those species must live on or near the surface. Also why do you think people on beaches get stung by jellyfish? By prehensile, mile-long tentacles from the depths?
On-topic, the game has beautiful graphics in the movie. Bravo on your design and creation of it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 03:28:57 am by neo1096 »
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 03:29:53 am »

Oh man, there's a reason jellyfish stay so far down in the ocean, it's because their bodies are reliant on the incredibly high water pressure in order to retain shape! If one were to travel to high, its body would fall apart!
Totally incorrect. Many jellyfish drift on the surface, the Portuguese man-of-war for example and still others travel nightly to the surface. Also,  a fair amount of jellyfish species are not very resilient to pressure and those species must live on or near the surface. Also why do you think people on beaches get stung by jellyfish? By prehensile, mile-long tentacles from the depths?
On-topic, the game has beautiful graphics in the movie. Bravo on your design and creation of it.
 Now I do. In my nightmares.

But yes, the game looks good. Although it doesn't look to feel underwater, the gameplay and fun are what matter more. And boy, that sounded good.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 03:31:40 am »

Now I do. In my nightmares.

But yes, the game looks good. Although it doesn't look to feel underwater, the gameplay and fun are what matter more. And boy, that sounded good.
Beware, the endless stinging tentacles of Cthulhu!
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 04:37:41 am »

So when's the pc port coming out for those who got tired of the xbox after it broke 3 times in a row?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

MadKap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 12:21:05 pm »

I actually am going to try and do a PC port and see if steam'll have it. The only thing is I'm not sure how the controls will feel on the PC. Right now the game uses the analog triggers (so it feels pretty organic because they have 255 levels of pressure sensitivity if I remember correctly) but using the mouse should work pretty well too I think.

Thanks for your compliments guys I hope you get to see the full version on a nice monitor (the shaders are nice but too small to see in the video)

Out of curiosity, what kind of game (smaller scale) would you guys like to see on the xbox?

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 01:02:06 am »

Keep in mind that all wired Xbox 360 controllers work on Windows XP (and Vista, I think) without anything extra (windows update takes care of it but I don't think even that is necessary).  Wireless ones work with a little dongle.  This way you can just leave in your xbox controller commands and just add in the mouse & keyboard ones.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 02:16:04 am »

Remember: Key remapping is necessary. Lots of games have failed because of a lack of this. Thus we can use joysticks or other extra little things.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

MadKap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 11:52:17 pm »

Has anyone had a chance to play it? We're listed as the 13th most popular community game right now and the 59th most popular xbox live game (I know that's pretty far down the list as far as live goes but there are like 300 and something (we're ahead of Braid  ;))

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 03:09:59 am »

Inspired from that Christmas bells bunny flash game no doubt? Looks pretty neat.
Pages: [1] 2