Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Slower skill development / higher skills on dwarves  (Read 2355 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slower skill development / higher skills on dwarves
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 03:44:19 pm »

1 year of conversation

Yeah well, maybe if you're powertraining with abundant materials. Gets a bit iffy when it's 966 logs in a desert or thousands of bars of metal

Wait, that doesn't say conversion. Not sure what you were going for now

I don't really see how getting premade artisans as immigrants would make me appreciate my dwarves more. Especially when the new adept mason that showed up likes sand and battle axes

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 03:45:18 pm »

You'd appreciate them more because, unless they come in droves, they aren't as easily replaceable as they are now; at least not all the time.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 03:51:51 pm »

I think I'll appreciate a hand picked dwarf I cultivated to the greatest carpenter the world has ever known from the ground up using a thousand logs more than a random immigrant who not only does not possess the traits of a great carpenter (likes beds. Or pine), probably doesn't strive for excellence either

I don't think anyone seriously considers his real artisans expendable. Other than the easily made ones like stonecrafters. That crap is only good for selling and is light, not so much for those 966 cabinets, beds and whatnot

It's not like we're not already relying on what we can get. Engraving is the only profession I can think of that anyone grinds to max before even trying to use it
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 03:55:13 pm by Pilsu »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 03:56:44 pm »

All right, I see your point. Some skills ARE kind of hard to raise.

It's still more of a time concern with me, though, with the viability of long-term fortresses at stake.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 04:27:05 pm »

Personally I wanted Gateway breakthroughs to be connected to fastforwarding.

For example... A Fresh Dwarf can only get lets say... 3 advancements every 10 years... you fast forward 10 years (or lets say a year) and they can gain more. (Or perhaps having Advancement allowance connected to the Dwarves stats)

Of course the exception is Spirit quests, Mentoring, and simply being a supperior specimin.

Though some... Like Blacksmithing is still a huge pain to advance as it is anyhow. (If I don't get a legend from creating an artifact... I am pretty much never getting a Legendary Blacksmith/armorsmith/weaponsmith)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 07:27:27 pm »

Honestly though, I think that makes it more important to get dwarves with higher skill. If your fortress is obviously trying to do a lot of blacksmithing, and has the population/wealth/supplies/whatever to make it apparent/attract people, it would be nice to get dwarves who are ALREADY highly skilled. Although they should be relatively rare, of course.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 09:01:23 pm »

I like this idea. How exactly would one mod it into the Raws, though?

I think I'd make it so that, once someone reached "Legendary" status, there'd be ranks above and beyond that.

Legendary status should be more a mark of potential, and genius talent, than a measure of experience and knowledge in a given field.

I wish Talent (the ability to create masterwork items and artifacts, with the potential to still make awful junk that noone likes) were calculated separately from Skill (the ability to consistently perform adequately, without screwing up).
For they would be your masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 10:02:43 pm »

Do you mean how would toady actually handle who goes to which site and how, and how to put that info in the raws? Honestly, I have no idea.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 10:07:19 pm »

Well I remember something about Talent... where Artifacts are basically the most common way to get legends (that and immigrants who come with skills in certain areas). Why? Because skill gained by moods ignores talent and current skill level.

Anyhow Legendary Status should be a combination of Talent AND skill.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 10:13:24 pm by Neonivek »

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 11:34:56 pm »

I think I'd make it so that, once someone reached "Legendary" status, there'd be ranks above and beyond that.
Note: There actually are, though not how you want them implemented. There are six levels that the game calls "Legendary," dubbed by players as Legendary+0 through Legendary+5. A Leg+5 is substantially more skilled than a Leg+0, making masterpieces 67% more.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 12:37:20 am »

1 year of conversation

Conversation.  You know.  Talking.  Chatting it up.  Meeting the neighbors.  Socializing.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 06:12:18 am »

1 year of conversation

Conversation.  You know.  Talking.  Chatting it up.  Meeting the neighbors.  Socializing.

Yeah but it just seems like a random post containing information no one asked for if you weren't trying to make a statement

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 06:23:16 am »

I think some of this could also be helped by drastically slowing down the time it takes to make or do stuff, Masterpiece tables can be made by the dozens faster then they can be hauled away, miners can swim through rock, increasing the time it takes to do stuff by an order of magnitude or two would have the effect of slowing down development quite well, and also help solve the problem of needing half a dozen haulers per craftsdwarf to keep up.  It would also help in providing a bit more challenge, which is always useful. :)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 11:21:37 am »

I think some of this could also be helped by drastically slowing down the time it takes to make or do stuff, Masterpiece tables can be made by the dozens faster then they can be hauled away, miners can swim through rock, increasing the time it takes to do stuff by an order of magnitude or two would have the effect of slowing down development quite well, and also help solve the problem of needing half a dozen haulers per craftsdwarf to keep up.  It would also help in providing a bit more challenge, which is always useful. :)

I think the problem is more 'people walk too slow' than anything else.  (Not that I want them to walk faster fps-wise) but the fact that getting from one end of the fort to the other takes days is kinda problematic.

The fix (IMHO) isn't really to slow everything else down, either, because the rate of events(Things a player in a mid-level fort needs to react to) is already pretty low.

It's just travel makes up such a huge portion of the time taken for any given production chain.

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 11:27:04 am »

Do you mean how would toady actually handle who goes to which site and how, and how to put that info in the raws? Honestly, I have no idea.

Make it like nobles. You do a certain amount of high-quality blah in a certain amount of time, and have a small chance that the Royal Blahsmith will show up. On the one hand, he's fussy and makes annoying demands, like all nobles. On the other hand, he will produce masterwork blahs far more consistently than a leg+5 blahsmith. Maybe give him some other funky abilities. Maybe the King's own personal blahsmith can make things above masterwork - maybe a .05% chance any task he undertakes will become a Mood. Maybe his work is slightly magical all the time.

Now this guy you'll really treasure, while simultaneously hating him for being purpley.
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)
Pages: 1 [2] 3