Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A.D.A.B.; The Succession Wars {Rules, input and sign up}  (Read 2220 times)

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A.D.A.B.; The Succession Wars {Rules, input and sign up}
« on: December 31, 2008, 06:30:13 am »

A.D.A.B.; The Succession Wars
A spin-off competitive succession game.

AKA All Dwarves Are Bastards (But Some Less Successful Than Others)

Setting / Plot
The Succession Wars is set in the same loose continuity as All Dwarves Are Bastards (But Some Less So Than Others), but to recap: Ten years ago the dwarf race was forcibly exiled from the mainland as a punishment for damaging the land with their mining. In their new home they slowly flourished, maintaining something of a peace with the natives there. Recently though, something has changed. Stories of unleashed evils roaming the land are abound, and the suspicion has landed squarely on the dwarves. Few truly know the cause, even among the dwarves, but with each unexplained disaster hatred of dwarves grows.

Several smaller outposts have been destroyed by vigilante attacks. The few survivors have banded together and fled to a cursed patch of land, long abandoned by even goblins. Their goal: to form a resistance and strike back at those who dared accuse innocent dwarves of conspiracy. But with hostile wildlife, goblin mobs still hunting them, and tension and leadership infighting within the fortress itself, can they hope to be anything more than another statistic to the battered dwarven kingdom?

I haven't picked one yet, but it will be compact and fairly flat (to reduce FPS issues) while still including a few different features. It will definitely be terrifying!

Game Rules
(Okay, I haven't finished planning all the specific challenges and such, so any suggestions or input would be appreciated. Exact points and number will be decided when I know how much (if any) interest there is in this. Also note that while these rules require a minimum of six players, I can still run a slightly modified game with only three, it will just mean replacing the teamwork bonuses with individual endgame bonuses and probably tweaking what you can spend points on.)

To start with, players are placed into teams of three. There can be any number of teams as long as enough players sign up before the game starts. The game consists of ten rounds, the first and last taking twelve months gametime and all others six months. For the first round, all players are given the same savefile just after embark (ie. same location, dwarves and items). At the end of each round, players email their save to me, I awarded points, and then each player is emailed the save of the next player in their team, so each player alternately succeeds in their team's three forts (ie. you would play your original save in rounds 1, 4, 7 and 10). If a fortress dies, the save is emailed anyway and the next team member has to reclaime it, although with an extra six months gametime to do so.

For each round, there is a specific challenge you should try to accomplish, such as achieving the most legendary skills or greatest number of kills by one dwarf. Points are awarded to players based on the individual fort they played that round. All these challenges are known in advance, so you can try to set yourself up for future challenges or (more importantly!) screw your successors out of achieving them with that save.

For each round or two, there is also an accumulative teambased goal such as the single most developed fortress or fastest average round completion. (These are also known in advance.) Winning these awards all players on their team an equal number of points.

Players may also opt to spend their points to attack another team's fort (or even one of their own). These have such results as all dwarves becoming drowsy or setting fire to something using magma, and are applied via utilities inbetween rounds. Several players can split the cost to target a particularly hated fort, too.

After the final round, the player with the most points wins, the second most points second and so on regardless of the team they're on. The end result to all this should hopefully be several very chaotic messes with players trying to achieve their own goals while screwing everybody else and occasional bouts of tenuous ceasefires to screw the other teams instead. ;D (I shouldn't need to add this, but just to clarify, using third party utilities, turning off important game features in your ini file, save scumming etc. is not allowed. However, making use of exploity mechanics ingame like perpetual motion or quantum stockpiles is fine.)

So!
Anybody interested?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A.D.A.B.; The Succession Wars {Rules, input and sign up}
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 09:37:52 am »

Are you going to continue the ADAB normal forts?

I'll show some intrest (I still have trouble with getting these things to work).
Even the avatars expire eventually.

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 05:47:24 pm »

Are you going to continue the ADAB normal forts?
Yes.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 10:59:26 pm »

...Oh so shiney game mode. I'd like in, if it's still an option.

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 05:47:05 am »

Only two interested parties says it's probably not! :-\

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 01:40:25 am »

...Cowards.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 05:19:52 am »

I'm interested. In ANY community sort of a game, but I'm still not sure on how this all will work.
Also - is it plain vanilla DF?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 05:32:25 am »

hmm if there's enough people I wouldn't mind trying this out. been wanting to join in a community game or two here. Might as well start somewhere.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 05:40:50 am »

I am intrested.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 10:13:53 am »

This sounds like it should be fun.

I'm up for it.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 02:09:54 pm »

Ah... That's more like it. We've got two teams so far, it would seem. Could use more... This game type seems to lend itself to high numbers.

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 08:30:37 pm »

It would be run with a clean install of v0.28.181.40d, yeah. I'd hesitate to call it a community game, given what the term seems to be mostly used for here, this is something you'd need to be playing for a couple of hours each week or so until it's finished rather than just pick a dwarf and read along with.

Sudden interest is unexpected, I guess I'd better get back to brainstorming challenges, huh?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 01:20:41 am »

Da comrade!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 02:04:42 am »

If it helps, for some challenges you could just think of yourself as a particularly irritable and hard-to-please noble. hehe.

Baron: "I want a water feature in my statuary!"
Me: "But you don't HAVE a statua..."
***HAMMER-ED!***
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 07:51:57 pm »

So, just waiting on challenges? Curious as to where this is at process wise.
Pages: [1] 2