Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Chronicles of Impulsiveness and Arson  (Read 3820 times)

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McMason has been feeling clever lately.
    • View Profile
Re: Chronicles of Impulsiveness and Arson
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 12:25:31 am »

Clearly, I've made a mistake. Apparently, dropping the burning item wasn't enough, as the burn has spread to my upper body.  I throw myself in the nearest murky pool, hoping for the best.

Meanwhile, the humans continue to die.

I managed not to burn myself.  After the smoke clears, here's what's left of floor one.

And here's floor two.  Among the dead was the town's Axe Lord.  No one minds if I just take his stuff do I?  No?  How nice of you.

All in all, having only done this twice now, I could've planned that much better.  If I'd been a little more patient this time with waiting for folks to catch on fire, my Adventurer here would've have gotten his burns.

Also, if I seeded the upper floor of the mead hall with corpse-kindling or even just leather items on each tile that'd also gone easier.  The fire won't naturally spread there from the first floor, but it also requires exactly one thrown burning item to land on the second floor to spread the love around.  And again, it's problematic because carrying enough items for every single available tile would put quite a weight on the adventurer.  But there's less floor space upstairs and a greater concentration of folk.  A chain of corspses to just inside the door, ending at an easily thrown item and as many corpses as possible to place kindling on the second floor might work out best.
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

NikkTheTrick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 12:50:10 am »

Hmm, what if we have very light leather items. For example, one starts a fortress with a lot of leather, mass-produces leather crafts and then abandons the fortress so that adventurer can take those crafts? Crafts are light, so we can have a lot of them!

Also, what if we use wooden crafts/weapons instead? Can we get a lot of wooden bolts and then just thinly spread those bolts?
Dwarf Fortress- where nightmare fuel is recycled into business plan.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 01:04:10 am »

Inspired by your efforts, I just tried the same tricks with a burning larch sapling and some harpy bits.  It took a lot of tossing until I finally resorted to just dropping the pieces.  Lucky I didn't light myself up.

Finally had one success.  I tricked the legendary macelord of a human town into burning to death and took all his improved armor.  Awesome.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 01:06:36 am »

The haul I had from that particular fire included enough iron armor and weapons to weigh me down to a speed of 99.  Not that big of a deal, but it resulted in that I couldn't leave by normal means.  The original tree was still burning and squares near it still had fires.  So, at speed 99, moving into the square where the doorway use to be was enough to send several blistering and burning messages, and even a few "you are being incinerated".  Just be careful.
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you really butcher this kitty?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 02:24:12 am »

I still find it hilarious that wooden constructions don't burn. Toady really has to fix that.
[CREATURE:VINCENT]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 03:10:19 am »

I was inspired by this and went on a burning spree. As a Spirit of Fire.

Burned an entire town down to the ground, that is a field of ash with starkly empty structures and no items except for a smattering of human and elf bones and skulls. Got a collection of various molten metal coverings on my hands too. Meat takes a LOOONG time to burn, i gave up on waiting for it and just picked them up which sped the process up a whole lot. After that i tried crossing an ocean by walking along the sea floor, vaporizing all water in the way. That slowed my fps to a crawl so i eventually gave up and flew out.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 10:26:30 am »

Any mods you know where you can play as a fire-based adventurer, play them and do this.  A matoran swordsman from the LEGO mod, a fire sorcerer from the overpowered sorcery mod, anything.  Do it now >:D
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 02:48:00 pm »

Another item that might be worth mentioning is that wood doesn't catch fire, just gets destroyed by heat.

so that admittedly great idea of using arrows for kindling actually isn't going to work.  So far only corpses and leather get that great !!burning!! property that allows us to spread fire around.
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 02:53:22 pm »

Fire-arrows would be kewl beanz. :V

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 07:52:29 am »

i know people use barrels of alcohol to make explosions in fort mode, so can you do this in adventure mode?

can you get barrels of booze or do you need an abandoned fort?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2009, 09:13:56 am »

i know people use barrels of alcohol to make explosions in fort mode, so can you do this in adventure mode?

You can find unbarreled booze on the ground around the cave of a megabeast that has stolen in the past.  Or at least you could.  I haven't seen that happen lately.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2009, 02:28:33 pm »

You can find unbarreled booze on the ground around the cave of a megabeast that has stolen in the past.  Or at least you could.  I haven't seen that happen lately.

I have seen booze just lying around in 40d.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2009, 06:19:14 pm »

Okay, yes.
I can attest to the fact that, while it takes a long time, fire does in fact spread in adventure mode.
Use this wisely.
..What am I saying?  Nobody uses anything in DF wisely.
Go nuts.
EDIT: Holy crap, I'm on a mythbreaking spree here.
GLOWTILE does in fact switch to one apostrophe instead of the usual two if the glowy person in question (goblins or kobolds in vanilla) is missing an eye.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 06:21:45 pm by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2009, 08:20:35 pm »

Heat appears to ignite booze, but I didn't get a good read on the consequences of that.

AFAIK, the booze explodes in a cloud of steam and vanishes, and doesn't really do anything other than that.  I do not recall taking any damage on my parts from when the booze went up, and I do not recall the heat being anything significant to light up any other items.
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 07:50:45 pm »

You just have to modify the point at which it boils.  That should work.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 [2] 3