Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make blood an object  (Read 1782 times)

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
Make blood an object
« on: December 30, 2008, 12:16:32 pm »

Hopefully this can be implemented soon since Toady is already working on wounds and such (or will be soon). I really would like it if blood types could be defined in the raws as materials/objects/creatures. This allows for not only giant cave spider ichor* adorned clothing but also for creatures that bleed children, the only way to truly kill them off is to let them die naturally. It's a small and really overlooked part of the game, you usually simply sit and watch blood fly when you fight monsters but to me I would really like to change this part of the game.

*I don't actually know if giant cave spiders use ichor, I'm on the wrong computer so I can't check the raws to see.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Make blood an object
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 12:21:51 pm »

Um.... how would you get that sticky stuff to....
nevermind.

Toady disabled blood spreading a while ago, because of serious problems with it if thats what your thinking...

Somehow I dont think cultures made t-shirts out of blood.... mostly due to the problem of making it into that shape.

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 12:45:09 pm »

I didn't mean actual objects from blood, I meant that it could be definable, just like defining a wine or rum. You could use it as a dye to decorate a cloth object but it's main purpose was to make so that modders could create their own blood types. Things like acidic blood or lava blood would be possible. Each body part might have a specified amount of blood so that each part did not bleed lava/acid/little children infinately and this also adds more possibility. You may have a Gorgon who, when her head is chopped off, creates one winged Pegasus, ready to tame and help fight in wars. If you went further and seperated the body parts blood types you could have an arm that bleeds acid and a leg that bleeds poison. I also wish to be able to make DF a less gory game for those of us (or maybe just me..no?) that want to have a bloodless but still cool game. (you might achieve this by replacing the blood with miasma or air).

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 12:55:07 pm »

That's a lot of work for a pretty marginal feature.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 12:55:51 pm »

oh, now that seems plausible.

But only the kolbolds would die their stuff with blood.

and maybe goblins.

and maybe elves.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 01:04:30 pm »

and maybe goblins.

and maybe elves.

Dwarves would do it, but only unintentionally.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 01:34:22 pm »

The Future of the Fortress has a bit about acid and sand and smoke escaping from veins...

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 01:42:36 pm »

In the "Raw preview" Blood was defined as liquid material ;) Just look into the devnow.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 05:01:23 pm »

Your right Heph! It took awhile for me to find it though, so many wonderful options :). Then I guess all that is left of my suggestion is the per body part section. I think this means I've set a new record for suggestion implementation! -7ish days!

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 08:20:35 am »

and maybe goblins.

and maybe elves.

Dwarves would do it, but only unintentionally.

Unless by blood from goblins, kobolds and elves. And nobles.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 03:54:28 pm »

Dying cloth with blood is great, if you like your clothing becoming stiff, dark, and eventually rotting like crazy. Haven't you guys ever gotten blood on your clothing? It ain't Kool-Aid.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==