Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Invading adventurers  (Read 6763 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Invading adventurers
« on: December 30, 2008, 11:48:23 am »

I would like to see 'sieges' by other adventurers of various races please. Basically, these adventurers are like kobold thieves, but they'll kill more, fight better, and will leave after stealing a certain amount of money. Also, they'll drop valuable, high-quality equipment, and sometimes gold coins and gems too :P

It encourages the placement of dungeon mazes and decoy treasure, ala Evil Genius ;)
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Invading adventurers
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 12:22:31 pm »

1 man against a 70 dwarf fortress?

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 12:28:48 pm »

A party of adventurers. 4 adventurers, all of them probably champions. One guy could bash down doors, another guy could disarm traps, one champion marksman. Probably more likely early in the game, than late-game. Somewhere in the late 1st year or 2nd year.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 01:31:45 pm »

1 man against a 70 dwarf fortress?

Let me see here... One man... with insane legendary skills... equipped with Artifacts/Adamantine with actual powers.

I think that would be deadly for any fortress. (though... those would likely be your old adventurers)

A team of them... would be downright apocoliptic!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 01:47:21 pm »

Add an elven druid and yiu have DF Shadowrun.

No seriously its an good idea but this adventurers must have some form Motivation and objectives.

Without that they are only some better Kobold Thiefs in my oppinion.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 02:05:54 pm »

Add an elven druid and yiu have DF Shadowrun.

No seriously its an good idea but this adventurers must have some form Motivation and objectives.

Without that they are only some better Kobold Thiefs in my oppinion.

Obviously they want to kill all the dwarves in your fort just for fun, experience, and money.

Which is an acceptable motivation for an adventurer.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 03:19:35 pm »

Adventurers coming by to buy things would make sense. Adventurers randomly assaulting fortresses is a bit silly

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 04:14:43 pm »

Well, adventurers will be able to join armies in the future, so we gonna have that feature for sure. [Even tho, the dev note is saying that the player's adventurer will be able to do that, but hopefully we gonna have AI adventurers also.]
As for your suggestion...a party of adventurers attacking a fortress? That makes no sense, imo at least.  :) They wouldn't be able to cause any trouble I guess..  :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 04:25:31 pm »

Adventurers coming by to buy things would make sense. Adventurers randomly assaulting fortresses is a bit silly

You do that in the game as it is... Or were you all trying to tuck all those goblins into bed?

In what way is an adventurer attacking the fortress of his race's mortal enemy silly? especially if they can pull it off

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 04:30:37 pm »

I'd enjoy this, as long as the adventurers were properly created during worldgen and all that, rather than spawned at the map edge.  Megabeasts attack your fortress at random and they're not nearly as dangerous as a squad full of champions.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 05:23:28 pm »

Considering all the times you hear players saying, "after I had depopulated every town in the world..."
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 05:34:04 pm »

Considering all the times you hear players saying, "after I had depopulated every town in the world..."
Good point.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 06:10:19 pm »

So because players do something silly it suddenly makes sense for single guys to attack fortresses for no reason?

I could see bandits sneaking in to steal items, maybe even cultists beating people unconscious and putting them in sacks to take home for religious sacrifice but genocide for it's own sake isn't much of a motivation for an entity in a fantasy world simulator

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 06:13:02 pm »

Insanity/bloodlust is a completely valid motivation.  Also, how do you explain megabeast attacks?

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 06:33:02 pm »

Hunger I guess. Or a desire for worshipers

The threshold for going on a killing spree is just a bit smaller when you're a 30 foot lizard, not a 3 foot kobold swordsman you know?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4