Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Controlled cave in  (Read 992 times)

Cookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Controlled cave in
« on: December 30, 2008, 06:16:59 am »

Hi, if I'm trying to make several floors of a certain area cave in how would I ensure they don't crash into the floor below? Unfortunately I'm storing much of my resources under it and it'd be a pain to have to move them all, let alone having to repair the ceiling. Any ideas?

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Controlled cave in
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 06:35:42 am »

Cave-in crashes through any floors that's hollow and constructed. Only way to stop it is to stop it with a un-mined layer. I recommend slowly stripping it back using channeling, or alternatively link a lever to a support on bottom and channel the edge out of each floors, making sure that each floor supports the above floor if it's to be fallen in.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 08:16:56 am »

Cave-ins will not crash through constructed walls. Found that out the other day, lucky for me!

So if you can afford to not have a chunk of that floor usable, wall it up! Then remove the walls when done.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 08:31:24 am »

Cave-ins will not crash through constructed walls. Found that out the other day, lucky for me!

So if you can afford to not have a chunk of that floor usable, wall it up! Then remove the walls when done.

My experience begs to differ, I've always had them crash through walls, assuming the walls are right under the path of falling object. Yer sure twas the walls that stopped 'em?

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 09:10:48 am »

Id sugest leaving the level directly above your storage undug and colapsing everything above that first. Then just channel out that last level.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 10:27:09 am »

My experience begs to differ, I've always had them crash through walls, assuming the walls are right under the path of falling object. Yer sure twas the walls that stopped 'em?

I'm pretty sure. I had several layers of nothing but floors, and then I built a chunk of wall where I wanted it to stop. All the layers above were crashed through, but not the layer with the wall.

Granted, I was only caving in a layer of floor as the starter. I dunno if having 'full' tiles fall with it would affect this or not.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 11:53:19 am »

In order to stop this effect, I used magma to create an obsidian layer beneith the floot I was collapsing.  Worked but my volcano was bugged so that fort had to go.

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Majorlag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 03:15:32 pm »

In my own experience, a support will also work for stopping a collapse.
The True Adventures of ___________

Insight into the minds of Dwarf Fortress Players - Random Quote of the Month:
He once spent a week visiting a cave in which there lived seven giants.  Each day, he would come in, track down each of the giants, and beat it to the point of unconsciousness.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 03:53:43 pm »

In order to stop this effect, I used magma to create an obsidian layer beneith the floot I was collapsing.  Worked but my volcano was bugged so that fort had to go.
Your probably a dwarf.

An insane one at that.