Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Metalcrafting can be useful  (Read 1675 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Metalcrafting can be useful
« on: December 29, 2008, 05:59:01 pm »

Okay, so a I've seen people point out that metal crafters aren't very useful due to the fact that metal crafts aren't as valuable as other goods made from the same metal, and that the metal ores are as valuable as the metal they make.  Well, I've recently found that metalcrafters also make chains, which are useful.  I had for the longest time thought that blacksmiths took care of that.  But they don't.  Just thought I'd clear up that issue.  So don't kill off all your metalcrafters.  Keep them so you can get plenty of quality chains to keep prisoners in line and make zoo going dwarves happy.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Metalcrafting can be useful
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 06:26:59 pm »

I KILL THEM ANYWAY.

I use cages for prisoners and rope for animals!   ;)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 06:44:24 pm »

Okay, so a I've seen people

Ya know Legolord, i think i'm the only one that has pointed out that metalcrafters are useless. unless i'm secretly illiterate.

and toonyman makes a ANOTHER good point as to why Metalcrafters are useless, good job toony.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 06:46:23 pm »

They're good as recruits, and for building my obsessively elaborate fortifications.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 07:16:16 pm »

If I want some metal constructions I'll undraft some cannon fodder and give them the labor. I usualy trade low quality metal crafts with the humans, melt them down and make them into armour and weapons.

Mind you, I just mass produce glass blocks and when my glassmakers are a high enough skill I then pump out glass goblets and decorate them with bone. As long as I get goblin attackers and the trees keep growing I'm pretty safe.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Inari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 07:55:11 pm »

Studs.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 08:04:50 pm »

I've never used metalcrafters myself and rarely any kind of metalworkers mostly because of lack of magma or just disinterest in metalworking, not to mention markdwarves don't really need much in way of metals once bonecrafters are highly skilled, never thought about studding, I'll have to look at it sometimes ;D

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 08:19:59 pm »

Goblets, ffs goblets.

A really good metalcrafter can turn a single platinum bar into over 6,000 worth of goblets.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 08:46:40 pm »

Alright, everyone, i will dig up my post that proves any argument you have wrong:

I'm only gonna comment on the goblet/flask issue.

To the OP, I hate to say this, but your wrong. Your just plain wrong.

Metalcrafters, a job that does very little... VERY LITTLE... in fact, the only useful thing they can do is make goblets. If they couldn't do that, Blacksmiths and armorers would beat them out EVEN WORSE than they do now as far as usefulness to the fort is concerned. Allow me to elaborate:

goblets have an item value of 10 and three are made with each bar
Anvils & platemails have an item value of 100, and each requires three bars of metal to make

So if we take a three bars of iron, a very common metal with a material value of 10, and make 9 goblets out of them, at standard quality, would collectively be worth 900 dwarfins.

If we take those same three bars of iron and instead decide to make an anvil or a suit of platemail, we'll have an item worth 1000 dwarfins at standard quality.

You might argue "But Josh, you can make goblets out of valuable metals like Platinum that you can't make anvils or platemail out of", but that only cripples Metalcrafters even more, because the ore of said valuable metals is usually the same value as the metal itself, stonecrafters can make mugs out of that ore that are worth the same amount, and don't require a piece of fuel wasted or an extra step in the assembly line, ALL this put together with the fact that the rarity of these metals in comparison to iron, Blacksmiths, Armorers, and stonecrafters will forever and ever be better than Metalcrafters.

If you take away goblets, Metalcrafters are ANOTHER vestigial job, replaced completely by Blacksmiths, Armorers, and stonecrafters. So please, consider the poor metalcrafter, he doesn't have alot. He can make valueble mugs, thats all he can do, don't take that away from him.

And NOBODY better bring up studding, studding takes up a whole bar, and only produces a decoration with a base value of 10. pathetic.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 09:01:11 pm »

I checked my job lists, I don't see any metal mugs, only rock mugs. So yeah  ;D (Checked goblets, just metal and glasses, though I suspect mugs and goblets are pretty much equilvalvent in function and value multiplers so in end, it's just more economic to make mugs from ore. ) As far as I know, the only thing that can't be crafted by other crafters are coins and studding, everything else have some similar function in stone, or is replacable by cheaper material, like cloth ropes or bone, cloth, stone and leather crafts. Not sure about studding, never did tried it out, always did had too much bones to use for decoration, or green glasses when I get lucky  ;D ( Coins are pretty much pointless under current system anyway, and metal chains are only really needed if you don't have cages or don't have water, and if dwarves don't tantrums very often, you don't even need metal chain anyway, in my experience )

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 09:03:59 pm »

Right, studding has a low value compared to a full item, but it's added to another item. Good way to make that platinum statue worth even more.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 09:23:44 pm »

I KILL THEM ANYWAY.

I use cages for prisoners and rope for animals!   ;)
Chains take 1 bar and cages take 3.  I see that as making chains greatly superior to cages.  I just make cages out of wood, and wooden cages are no good for justice, because prisoners can break out of the nonmetal frames.  Same with ropes.  Chains make the best jails because prisoners can actually sleep while they are in them, among other things.  When they are caged, there is nothing you can do to stop them from getting unhappy.

So metalcrafters are useful for something.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 09:26:39 pm »

(<3 the forum's "A new post is here! Warning!")

Studding: Because you can ne'er ha'e too many decorations on an object. (I wonder if anyone's got close to the maximum, i.e. one of e'ery material?)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 09:29:05 pm »

What I was saying is that metalcrafters are not needed to have a fort.  Sure cages are more expensive, but you could do jails that way.  I don't know what you're talking about with the ropes, I meant for the zoo, not the animals.

KILL THEM KILL THEM!!

EDIT:   To make my point, they are the least needed for a fort.   Besides fish dissectors and animal care, they are on the same level of useless.  Whatever else I missed too.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 09:30:53 pm by ToonyMan »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 09:39:43 pm »

Well no, I never said they were needed.  Just useful.  Two entirely different things.
Just so I remember
Pages: [1] 2