Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Post your: Mad plans  (Read 5454 times)

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
Re: Post your: Mad plans
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2009, 08:28:21 pm »

i had a huge fort on a chasm, cave river and magma pool. i had the water come up 15 or so z levels with a giant stack of pumps into a giant holding tank above my main hallway. where it cascaded down through some moats around my outside area and through a really complex network of drains and pools networked all through my fort, to make little waterfalls everywhere and wells in every dining room. the fps was so very awful, and it was unfortunately unexplorable in adventure mode as it was unbearably slow. i could also seal my entrance hall and flush any invaders into some very deep channels at the end, and put a waterfall over my main entrance. there was also a giant artificual multilevel cave with huge stalactites, two waterfalls and a river running through it.

currently i have a badlands map with a really really big cliff cutting one corner off, and a 5 z level deep pit near its bottom that would form a pool if only i redirect the river at the top over the edge. im thinking of making a huge wall to dam the entire thing. imagine the water pressure at the bottom from a 25+ level lake....

im thinking grates in the ground or in underground chambers that gush water straight up at a lever press to mash invaders or make for cool things in adventure mode. can i have suggestions?

EDIT: everyones projects are pretty awesome. bonus points to the guy doing karazan if he puts megabeasts and goblin invaders and things in cages all around the place to replicate the mobs and boss encounters for adventure mode, and makes epic loot available in places where you get it in the instance as well.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 08:31:12 pm by Cheshire Cat »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2009, 11:54:21 pm »

currently,  I have a bridge across a rather large river that will soon have a hotel built on it. the crazy part about it is that it's connected to the edges by 8 squares of flooring. in the future, these shall be destructible.  :o

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2009, 06:42:21 pm »

New mad plan:
Fully automatic obsidian factory.
Construction is underway for a 21x21x16 pit underground and two 21x21x1 tanks with pressure plates in them. One chamber will hold magma, the other will contain water. A single lever pull will start and stop the factory; NO MICROMANAGING LEVER PULLS!

I have somewhat nutty plans for the control mechanism that cycles dumping magma, then water in the pit and refilling the tanks. I don't know if I'll be able to make it stop automatically when the pit is full, though.

OOH I just got an idea for how to shut it off when the giant block of obsidian is ready to be mined and make it not start up again until the single lever is pulled again.

Oh yeah and I lied... there are 3 levers. One controls the block making mechanism, one allows access to the obsidian block through flood gate'd side tunnels at each floor, and the last one cuts off the magma and water supply in case I need to access the tanks (like if some magma cools unexpectedly and jams the pumps... or I want a quick way to kill of something  ;)).

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2009, 11:49:33 am »

Two words: Obsidian Fountain!!!

All i would need is a relatively flat area, magma, and water! I build myself a huge tower, pump magma and water to the top, separated of course, and design a pump system that will allow me to mix them as they fall. Hopefully, this will crush anything outside the tower and build a massive dome around my tower. Then I will dig a fortress into the dome and engrave the exterior.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2009, 12:23:38 pm »

So what do you guys generally do when looking for inspiration for a fortress design? What websites to you browse? Books?

I look for threads like these and then steal the hell out of the ideas and modify them to my liking.
 ;D

also - Ti Lung's Escape in Kung Fu Panda. As soon as we can have up/down elevators, man, I'm all over that one.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2009, 12:45:25 pm »

also - Ti Lung's Escape in Kung Fu Panda. As soon as we can have up/down elevators, man, I'm all over that one.
That was pretty cool  :)
Makes one think twice about the usefulness of ballistae.

I get my mad plans from completely random thoughts, some based off of the area I embark on, like the plan I posted earlier in this thread.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2009, 01:09:45 pm »

So what do you guys generally do when looking for inspiration for a fortress design? What websites to you browse? Books?

Trying to figure how I want the interior to look, and I just can't put my finger on it, so I've been googling things like "crazy architecture" and "fractal architecture" looking for ideas.

Also; Hi Rilder.
YOu know that Raymond E. Fiest book? The Battle at Seathanon I think? I want to make that big-ass castle city from the book

For those that don't know, this castle had walls like the great wall of china and twice as tall. They had and entire population of warriors, male, female and children, a huge stone city and put the medival equivilent of a nuke under the castle (I am working on filling the place with magma) as a contingincy plan.

Chandrasekhar

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIES_WHEN_KILLED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2009, 01:43:34 pm »

If we ever get the ability to make our own vehicles, I want to make a mobile fortress...  with magma inside.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2009, 02:55:45 pm »

If we ever get the ability to make our own vehicles, I want to make a mobile fortress...  with magma inside.

It must run on magma, CHandrasekhar. imagine the fortress stories.
Obsidion obstructions blocking the intake valve. Heat death of dogs chasing after it.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]