Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Post your: Mad plans  (Read 5451 times)

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
Re: Post your: Mad plans
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2008, 04:10:36 pm »

The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2008, 07:02:41 pm »

1. Is there still a limit on how many trees you can grow?
I think it was like 200.

That was removed with the move to 3-D. I'm already getting about 1000 logs annually. My 2 carpenters are doing an incredible job and lately I haven't had many extra after making bins and barrels.

2. Did you discover a cave river and/or cave pool?

Yes, I have a cave river. Otherwise I would be very upset from digging all that and not being able to do anything with it.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2008, 07:07:09 pm »

Hmm... looks like I will be forced to move with extreme measures, what with the barrel shortage and the lead shortage.

And preety much the shortage of everything else.

EDIT: I am totally wowed by your creation.
Can you make a rough diagram of how it works? Im confused.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 07:12:08 pm by woose1 »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2009, 01:01:27 am »

I am now plotting adding a drainage system to every single lake on the map, in case a dwarf finds his way in there without an escape.
And, of course, it will work in reverse in order to refill them afterwards.

Or I just drain them into a deep pit to use as my water source.

Either way, a few lakes will be drained to provide an elf-drowner controlled by logic gates to stop things opening in the wrong order. I may even add pressure plates to automate it.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2009, 01:30:44 pm »

I got 2 diffrent plans, one is a working Giant Cat Minigun. And the other is to build Karazhan.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/wowwiki/images/c/c7/KarazhanInstanceMap.jpg
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/wowwiki/images/2/25/Karazhan.jpg

What a coincidence. I'm searching for a good site for my Blackrock Depths(needs a magma pipe and LOTS of iron ore). I abandoned my plans for Naxxramas long ago due to size restrictions(i'd need about 120 z levels to make the actual pyramid). And the smaller necopoles like Acherus are just meh in the architecture department. They look like stone baloons with a spider sitting ontop.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Bitzeralisis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2009, 09:18:10 pm »

Dwarf Computer.

'Nuff said. =P

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2009, 09:26:30 pm »

I got 2 diffrent plans, one is a working Giant Cat Minigun. And the other is to build Karazhan.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/wowwiki/images/c/c7/KarazhanInstanceMap.jpg
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/wowwiki/images/2/25/Karazhan.jpg
Hahahaa.
Holy carp.
Good luck.
You should model the surroundings, The Master's Cellar, etc., too.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 09:33:38 pm by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2009, 12:41:03 am »

The Dwarven Siege Toilet.

Any entrance that might need to be protected(against Goblin invaders, demons, or what-have-you) is rigged up as an airlock with three sets of doors.
1 to the outside
1 to the inside
1 holding back a massive reservoir of water.

When you need to protect yourself from a siege, simply pull everyone inside, lock the inner doors, and open the water-retaining doors.

Invaders try to open the outer doors, and--
*FLUSH!*

Sadly, I haven't experimented with pumps yet, and I haven't yet had a fortress that lasted long enough and was planned well enough to implement this idea.

Idea 2: Dwarven Rapid Transit System

Need to get dwarves from one end of the fortress to another quickly? Do this.
Dig two parallel, straight channels(one for outgoing traffic, the other for incoming), then cover them over with floors.  On one end, place a diverter which allows water to drain and closes off the incoming channel.  On the other end, place a lever.

The lever is connected to a floodgate which holds back another immense reservoir.

Dwarf pulls lever, water is released, pushing dwarf through the transit tube to the diverter, where he trips a pressure plate, shutting off the flow of water and draining the tube for the next traveler.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2009, 06:33:42 pm »

I was actualy trying to make a fortress where all "walkways" were in fact swimways, but somehow I couldn't get my dwarves to take a dive, even thouhg there was a pretty pond smack in the middle of the meeting zone, with ramps on all sides. Of course such a fortress would initaly only span 1 z-level, (the level with the brook, which was actualy straight down 2 levels into rock hard gabro and bauxite)

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2009, 06:43:17 pm »

For the GS Succession game I'm going to make a Secret Chamber of EVIL. No, not just a regular one, a 4 z-level deep chamber, with a vat of water. There's no magma on the map, unfortunatly; so I'll just use it as a drowning chamber, I'll drop my victims in via retracting bridge. It'll also have an overlooking office, I may even make it lead up to the suface and claim it's a missle silo.

"You expect me to talk?"
"No Mr Bond, I expect you to die!"
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Chandrasekhar

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIES_WHEN_KILLED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2009, 01:44:16 am »

I've considered building something like that Siege Toilet with magma.  I have all the necessary infrastructure in place, actually, except for the magma itself.  Also need to buy more bauxite...

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2009, 07:47:33 am »

My mad plans are fairly tame by df standards...  i want to make an obsidian tower that I can engrave :3 So far I've got the first level walls built, just need to finish a few tiles and hook up the pumps to the water and magma. :D
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2009, 12:30:34 pm »

I want to build an iron tower, stretching from the entrance level down 6 or 7 Z levels (obviously limited by my iron deposits). Probably 7, so that each of my founding dwarves will get a level. There'll be a dining room on top, and a moat around the bottom, with a well inside the lowest. Might even have plumbing, providing a watersource on each level.

The floors will be made of whatever expensive material each founder likes, as will the inner walls. The only entrance will be from a single door in the base, though I may have a secret escape tunnel dug for them.

It'll stand alone in a large chamber, possibly stretching to the sky, with a clear glass ceiling over it.

I also want to have another tower for the nobles, similar but hollowed out. They'll have to cross a retractable bridge at the top to pull a lever, which will plummet them to their doom. It'll be made out of the cheapest, most common material I have, not smoothed, and have a bridge at the top for an entrance. I'll also dump goblins down the shaft, and other refuse.

If the nobles somehow survive, they'll be locked into a tube filled with rotting corpses, and likely too crippled from the fall to do anything about it. In fact, I'll probably build it at a height to have a better chance of a non-fatal fall.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2009, 07:27:37 pm »

Well, I've recently settled on a cliff side, and started building this:

That moat was constructed.  The areas on the side serve as barracks.  Or they will, once the roof is done.  The T-shaped construction is for wagons to get in.  There is a bridge over the first island of the moat that has fortifications towards the inside of the fort.  If necessary, the moat can be drained to retrieve any magma proof items that have fallen in.  I'm working on a trap that dumps magma on the last island when a pressure plate is triggered.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2009, 12:27:20 am »

My lake-drainer is somewhat complete. Operation drain-the-lake-to-reclaim-a-valuable-axe worked a treat, so I channeled to another lake and drained that at the same time.
Then drained another nearby one.

I'm aiming to have a 3-level water tower, with the contents of one lake on each level. Perhaps extended to contain ALL THE WATER ON THE MAP, apart from my one lake of watersourceness.

Also, it has to be fortified and linked into my defenses, but without blocking passage around. This may require magic dwarven cantilevers.

EDIT:
Operation wall linkup is a go! It's finally all designated, just waiting for the final portion to be built.
But horribly, horribly delayed by a two-squad goblin siege. Forcing everyone indoors knocked a full season off my timetable, and probably one or two more hauling 15 goblins of loot.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 08:14:13 pm by Skorpion »
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4