Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Post your: Mad plans  (Read 5453 times)

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Post your: Mad plans
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 03:30:47 pm »

Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 03:33:28 pm »

I don't currently HAVE plans for my fortress, aside from 'find that goddamn magma pipe they said was here somewhere'.

Otherwise, I'm making it up as I go. My huge curtain wall topped with fortifications and with a rim of walls on the inside is working fine, even with the bypass for caravans being a pit with ramps to take the wagons under the wall.
But the entrance was undefended, so I extended the walls and fortifications to over it.
But things were getting in the front door! So I constructed a new doorway full of cage and stonefall traps, with multiple doors. And extended the walls and fortifications over that.
But the idiotic caravan staff were getting confused by it, so I extended the walls a bit to cover it.
Then I got bored, the rockstockpile got a bit full, and my dwarves were idle. So, I added a tower, and extended the walls out. And fortified the whole thing, and added flooring.
And added a cage full of wardogs to the courtyard in case anyone DID get in, and made a goblin mincer to deal with the captives from the recent siege.
Now, after I've extended the quantum rock dump with the engraved floorings from my deepest apartment project, I am contemplating more towers. Or a goblin dropper.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 05:24:33 pm »

This reminds me, I have yet to blot out the evil sun by building a tower over the entire map, then extending it to the four corners. I'll get to that soon.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 06:45:14 pm »

Dwarven Midgar sounds awesome.

Bonus points for the money grubbing king getting killed by a berserk swordsdwarf.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 06:48:03 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 08:44:11 pm »

Heh.  My loony plans?  Well, might as well let y'all in on my ultra-secret project, since I'm such a lazy bat it'll probably just die out.

Dwarven medieval-modern fusion metropolis.  Skyscrapers, city streets and warehouses all share space with magma-powered wagons (for the privileged few who can afford them), screw pump gyms and semi-automatic crossbows.

This was to be the setting for a story unlike anything I've ever written before.  Like the city it found itself in, it was also a fusion.  From gritty film-noir narrative from the perspective of a dwarven private eye that had seen too much darkness, to the third-person "bird's eye" of the moody landscape of so much dwarven promise destroyed by corruption and greed.

From the prestigious offices of the largest company in the city where one of the city's founders sits at the controls to almost unimaginable wealth and power, to the shady back alleys where drug dealing has run rampant with a new influx of dwarven sugar, plump helmets, and a new drug known only as "Gnomeblight", the protagonist travels through the writhing mixture of cultures in the city of Stonehammer in search of what he thought was just a job like any other, something to put food in his mouth.

The city currently contains over 13,650 blocks in it.  It's not an exact number because my bookkeeper can't count that high yet.  And as the number of blocks goes higher, the number of frames per second goes lower. 

And only the warehouse has a second level so far.  It doesn't even have a floor.

Man, what I would give for a full-fledged DF editor...  I've ripped up this city's streets three times already, just because of a little design flaw or reconsideration.  That hurts.  That really, really hurts.  And I'm not even going to talk about the overpass, let alone the on-ramp.

I really wanted to write that story...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 09:05:44 pm »

If the new versions end up really increasing FPS when I get home in a couple months, I have plans to turn off cave ins and build a floating city of three separate islands connected only by catapult travel, with three separate groups of dwarves, each powered by a "magical" magma core, which in my mind is what keeps the islands afloat (and the workshops running, for that matter).

It's going to be beautiful. I still need to draw up the plans though.

Chandrasekhar

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIES_WHEN_KILLED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 04:40:17 am »

My fortress-inside-a-volcano doesn't seem so awesome anymore. :P

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 04:44:29 am »

My fortress-inside-a-volcano doesn't seem so awesome anymore. :P
Somebody needs to build an active volcano inside a fortress inside an active volcano.

Yer halfway there!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 04:55:52 am »

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 05:26:32 am »

If the new versions end up really increasing FPS when I get home in a couple months, I have plans to turn off cave ins and build a floating city of three separate islands connected only by catapult travel, with three separate groups of dwarves, each powered by a "magical" magma core, which in my mind is what keeps the islands afloat (and the workshops running, for that matter).

It's going to be beautiful. I still need to draw up the plans though.

Practice for Vactor's Airlands project?
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Inari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 12:31:48 pm »

No pics sorry, but I've been inspired by Artyr's Pyramid Challenge, and have planned out my pyramid in meticulous detail.  It's great to have a long term goal!

Escudodeteixo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 01:04:00 pm »

This dungeon does the least of damage to the plant life, only a couple of towers come out of the graound, 5 levels above ground a net of scenic gardens and zoos keeps the comuters happy and acostumed to sun. A great elevator tower tales water 18 levels above ground to a tank that casts shadow to most of the 4x4 map.

Sieges have been always dealt by the caravan entrance, wich works around a maze of traps and doors that can digest a goblin army in less than a season. (Though lately, my overtrained army has dealt with them most of the time, even if this means more hauling work)

The work is almost finished, just a lack of wood is keeping the work down, I chose to use windmills instead of waterwheels to feed the pumps, wich was a serious mistake.
The reservoir is mostly for fishing in, the dumping of water being more of a doomsday device, in fact i'm not sure how materials work and if the faling of water through 15 levels won't break the (green glass block sin some places) ground below it and flood the entire fortress. I've had accidents in wich a single stone tile falling whould crush through 20 built floors destroying everything on its path)

;D Next time i'll look for a less boring location, lack of !*wild*life! made me plan this  ;D

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 01:36:43 pm »

I have a plan for a simple suicide booth... except it doesn't rely on dorfs falling asleep.
Lever connected to support -> make dust in the area -> dorf walks back through hallway -> cage/other traps depending on the dorf -> lock the door until the dust dies down so other dorfs don't get caught -> unlock door for cleanup -> re-build support + floor tile using a bridge and re-connect the lever

Oh yeah, in the same fort I have an aqueduct leading to what I hope will be a rather large holding tank. I have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE what I'll do with the water once it gets in the holding tank, though I know for sure I'll have a drainage system for my bottom level.
The pump stack (2 pumps wide for speed) is already done, and it has two shutoff levers. One in the pump house, another in the ZOMG WAT HAPPEN panic/lever control room.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 03:27:10 pm »

I'm building the largest tree farm EVER. The plan will have it covering 4 whole levels on a 4x4 map. Around 140,000 tiles will be dug out, cleared and muddied. My last map upload was about 33% of the way through or about 45,000 tiles. Currently (not uploaded) I'm at about 70,000 tiles done with another 25,000 being cleared. However work should start to speed up since the kids are growing up and can help with the clearing.
Here's the latest map:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3954-steelforests
This is after 10 years. I'm currently at about 15 years. If I'm lucky I should be able to finish it by year 20.
Previous estimates have shown that I will have to deal with about 2,000 logs annually. So that should keep my fort busy.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2008, 03:36:16 pm »

Wait....

two questions..

1. Is there still a limit on how many trees you can grow?
I think it was like 200.

2. Did you discover a cave river and/or cave pool?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4