Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Scattering  (Read 2121 times)

Fenrir

No Scattering
« on: December 31, 2007, 09:41:00 pm »

I would like it if the stuff in abandoned fortresses didn't get spread everywhere. We have enough trouble finding things in adventure mode without this feature.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: No Scattering
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 09:56:00 pm »

I wish the scattering would be kept in only the areas INSIDE or barely outside of the fortress, not half a world tile away from where the fortress was.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

puffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 10:16:00 pm »

I like the scattering, but maybe it should disperse over time? So if you visited a month after abandon, everything would still be (sort of) where it was.

Fenrir

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 10:22:00 pm »

Maybe there should be an option to turn it off.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 11:12:00 pm »

The scattering as it is now is ridiculous.

I mean if you go to ancient ruins, there is jewlery and toys and stuff scattered around. But it would make MUCH more sense if those items were clustered around buildings and broken chests instead of lying on the ground 1 per 100 tiles.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 02:00:00 am »

I know another solution: how about instead of scattering, it is moved accordingly and slightly randomly if monsters decided to take over the fort, but if nothing is inside the fort, it all stays in perfect condition.

[ January 01, 2008: Message edited by: Torak ]

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 02:06:00 am »

The reason for the current scattering is obvious:  Poltergeists.

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 02:15:00 am »

It might be interesting to have items in ruins located in randomly positioned containers.  I would like the idea of hunting for treasure chests in ancient ruins.  I do agree that more logical placement of items would benefit the game.  Interior areas make more sense, but having a few items scattered outside is also realistic in a way, especially in the case of ruins.  As for fortresses and towns (I end up with lots of junk scattered around towns after pillaging them), the items shouldn't go too far from where they were originally.

How about this:  for every day that passes, one random item or stack is moved a certain distance in a random direction from its previous location.  Items outside containers are the most likely to be moved (33% chance?).  Items within containers are less likey to move (maybe 16% chance).  Containers themselves are the least likely to be moved but it is still possible (8% chance sounds about right).  This way, most items in containers will usually stay there, but the container itself might move around a bit.  And the amount things get scattered depends on how much time passes.  More time = more chaos.  My percentages also don't add up to 100%, so there is a chance that nothing will move on a particular day.

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 05:12:00 am »

I had an idea a while back: a series of fortresses, all in the same world, each with an elaborate series of traps and monster-rooms leading up to a grand prize: a piece of adamantine equipment. Gauntlets in one, boots in another, plate, greaves, helm, weapon, shield. Thus, a brave adventurer would have to travel about and gather his godly gear. With the current scattering system, this wouldn't really work... I'd like to see it changed so that dungeons like this are made possible.

Also, do monsters locked into a room remain there?

[ January 01, 2008: Message edited by: Tyrving ]

MyBeardIsOnFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 08:55:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrving:
<STRONG>Also, do monsters locked into a room remain there?</STRONG>

No, and they seem to get out even if they're locked in a cage and their room is submerged in magma. Which makes it really impossible to create a "final boss" room for adventurers.

Ahh... so much wasted potential right now.

iantspider stands before you!
Giantspider...killed Yourlast Adventurer
Giantspider...killed Yo Momma

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 09:27:00 am »

it would be nice to have an option in init to turn off scattering and such to make dungons for adventures...
Smash me and I shall rise again, but not make stupid threads that get me muted.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 02:26:00 pm »

Agreed, but it's still fun sometimes.
One of my fortresses had reached a demon pit, but I managed to have it walled.
Later, the goblins took my fort, and when i came back as an adventurer, i saw goblins being torn apart by tentacle demons.
Quite a good day.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 03:04:00 pm »

I think that the system that Rob Allen suggesgted would be great.

Also, I would like scattering to be an option in the init that can be disabled. It really annoys me that all of the stuff in my forts scatters over the entire area. I want my founding dwarve's tomb to contain the piles of golden crafts I put there, not a pig tail sock and some fish bones.