Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Goblin traders are putting my craftdwarves out of work!  (Read 1933 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin traders are putting my craftdwarves out of work!
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 06:42:15 pm »

This isn't the World of Warcraft economy, the finished product is always more valuable than raw materials

Food, logs and the like are a bit cheap compared to the goods themselves but that's the fault of the value multipliers really. Some items like prepared meals shouldn't be able to be sold at all really, they're not suitable for transport. I do wonder why alcohol doesn't have quality price increase but prepared food does. It does have quality levels, why doesn't food work that way?

Guess it'd work if stuff like clothes and furniture dropped in value but stuff like dried meats and booze never would. Assuming they'll ever be worth something. What'd be more dwarven than buying out entire caravans with a large shipment of decade old fine dwarven booze fermented in huge barrels. Assuming alcohol ever becomes more complex than instant mix juice

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 07:17:38 pm »

Assuming alcohol ever becomes more complex than instant mix juice
Everything else I blacked out for.

THIS is what im really looking forward to.
We would have MASSIVE dwarvern breweries, pipes streching into oblivion above our heads, leaking steam and water and shaking like one huge monstrosity of a creature.

I picture fields of hopps, cultivated by goblin prisoners, whipped whenever they fall behind.

I picture dwarves drinking merrily out of a keg of beer the size of a full-grown dragon.

Maybe I de-railed the thread a bit. oops....
FORGET EVERYTHING I JUST SAID!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 08:21:10 am »

Maybe they should have a tag for having holes in them, old, worn, bloody, and these tags would affect the price of the item.
I support this idea. It goes well with DF's style. Battle will damage armor, and you'll have to send armor to the armorsmiths or tailors to repair them. Same goes for the clothes that rot slowly away. Just patch 'em up, like the beggars do.

Now your armorsmiths and tailors have something to do ;)
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 09:08:34 am »

The goblin traders have very kindly donated to me a seemingly endless supply of (narrow giant cave spider silk clothes) and (narrow iron chain mail).

So much so that I can often use it to buy the entire contents of human or elven caravans (with maximum quantities requested), and still have some left over.

Which is nice, but means there hardly any point in creating goods of my own, other than furniture and for noble's mandates........

What i think there needs to be is .

When you make clothing, or clothing is spawned on monsters. It can be set to different sizes or species.

So any goblins which come to your fort, would be wearing clothing and armor that is fitted for goblins. Preventing your dwarfs from using them.

Also, when trading these items to races which are not goblins. There should be no value for them other then the smelting value for armor.

When your dwarfs make clothing, there should be different options for which species to make the clothing for.
There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 09:46:33 am »

Clothing already comes in different sizes. You simply can't make clothes that fit humans yet

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 07:45:06 pm »

What if all the goblin clothing were not silk and that plant fiber materials could be shredded to make something else.  Paper?  Mattress stuffing?

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 04:26:36 am »

I've bought out carvans just by trading previous year's raw materials turned into crafts. Granted they bought abnormally lot of cloths and leathers so yeah  ;D

I can actually top that. I have many times bought out the first few human and dwarf caravans like so:

1. Sell something I need to buy up all their metal bars
2. Wait for the hauler to bring it to the forge.
3. Forge their bars into goblets.
4. Wait for the haulers to take the goblets to the depot.
5. Buy back my <insert item>, all your food, those bolts, and whatever crafts you have for change.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 11:49:22 am by Othob Rithol »

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 08:12:35 am »

Here's my plan...

1: All goblin clothing (even GCS stuff) gets tossed in the chasm or volcano, or at least the dump.
2: Chain gloves, boots and helms are also thrown away as in #1.
3: Chain hauberks and leggings are melted down.
4: Weapons are melted down or installed in traps.
5: Shields are saved. If there is a surplus I seel them to traders or melt them.

Chasming the material not only lets your craftsdwarves keep on keepin' on but also creates a slew of hauling jobs for the peasantry. Its win-win.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."
Pages: 1 [2]