Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goblin traders are putting my craftdwarves out of work!  (Read 1934 times)

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin traders are putting my craftdwarves out of work!
« on: December 29, 2008, 09:51:05 am »

The goblin traders have very kindly donated to me a seemingly endless supply of (narrow giant cave spider silk clothes) and (narrow iron chain mail).

So much so that I can often use it to buy the entire contents of human or elven caravans (with maximum quantities requested), and still have some left over.

Which is nice, but means there hardly any point in creating goods of my own, other than furniture and for noble's mandates. 

Even my count has decided to claim a blood and vomit soaked (narrow donkey leather robe), and is keeping it in his cabinet (along with his own donkey leather dress and a clean pair of narrow donkey leather trousers).

So anyway, my suggestion is that goblins should use much cheaper equipment, so that looting their bodies is a nice bonus, rather than being the mainstay of your economy. 

Their clothes should definetly not be giant spider silk or anything of comparable value (and perhaps a few more dwarf leather items, just to demonstrate how unpleasent they are).  Their armour should either be made of a cheaper metal, or leather (so it can't be recycled).

Alternatively or additionally, a new quality tag could be created for goblin items (e.g. "shoddy", "crude", "ugly"), that would reduce the value of an item.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin traders are putting my craftdwarves out of work!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 10:00:58 am »

They are waging an economic war against you. This is a feature, not a problem. :P
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 11:03:41 am »

It'd be fine if GCS stuff was reserved for sufficiently skilled creatures and nobles only

I just burn it all

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 11:26:34 am »

You know what's funny?

I'm drowning in GCS clothing, and yet I have not a piece of usable GCS cloth, making all moody dwarves who demand it go insane.

It's like being in Hell on the best golf course with the best clubs, but no balls.  :(

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 01:21:30 pm »

Just order some. Thread too

Getting undyed thread is a real pain though. No, I don't want the shoddily dyed crap, give me fresh stuff you bastards

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 01:29:03 pm »

Yeah, it's just that by the time the first caravan with silk arrived, my dude had already died a long time ago.  :D

I'd be willing to see something like, you can deconstruct clothing that is still in good condition, and giant cave spider silk/items would get a significant price nerf to compensate.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 01:38:52 pm »

I make it a habit of buying up all of the goods I can and stacking them in a corner for just such occasions.  MW Stone Mugs pays for a LOT

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 03:22:37 pm »

They're just waiting till you are completely dependent, then they will cut off your supply.
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 03:19:47 am »

i've noted this issue here:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28985.0

i also posted some suggestions on it, and we've discussed it a bit more on the above thread. go ahead and have a look, i would like some more opinions.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 04:42:26 am »

One of the most pathetically easy mods to do is to remove the goblins' and kobolds' clothing in the raws to avoid the silk thong economy.

Having said that, and considering how often it is done, could we maybe get an init option on it Toady?

To tie in some of the other common trade complaints/frequent mods:

• No Goblin/Kobold Clothing
  • Mugs nerfed (Either 1/3 value or produce one)
  • Increase the import cost of cloth

What I'd really like to see is a managed thread concerning trade balance / craft valuation so we, as the community, can lay some of the basic conceptual groundwork for the caravan arc.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 06:49:03 am »

I think having a real dynamtic trade economy would balance it out. Sell more of such and such stuff over such and such period, less it's worth to the traders that recieves it. Some kind of crude supply and demand system linked to pricing would help a lot, maybe actual percentage changes in trade agreements for product based on such and such material, in such and such style. Kinda similar to the economy screen on the Status screen but expanded for specific nation, materials, styles and such. Though this brings up problems of what happens if the nation don't send diplomats and trade negoiators, it probably should be automatically done by tradepersons themselve in those cases, without being able to look ahead to next years' rate.

All in all, probably would turn the silk panties economy into something that you can actually get off yer hand as opposed to watch it build up and up and up and up as carvans get bought out, as well as giving  your workers some oppounities  ;D

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 11:32:38 am »

Init option to strip goblins naked would be pretty silly

Without giant cave spider stuff their clothes aren't worth much so that's really the only thing that needs fixing for now

Goods falling in price would be pretty irritating considering how hard it is to acquire raw materials in sufficient quantities. Not to mention you have to pay through the nose if you want to order things at all

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 04:21:11 pm »

Without giant cave spider stuff their clothes aren't worth much so that's really the only thing that needs fixing for now

Goods falling in price would be pretty irritating considering how hard it is to acquire raw materials in sufficient quantities. Not to mention you have to pay through the nose if you want to order things at all

Currently I simulate goods falling in price by giving the trader a TON of extra goods *I created a macro to mark them and keep my bins*

The traders get 150000 worth of goods and I pick up some bars worth 2000 or so.. gets rid of goblin crap and makes me happy... still have a massivly overflowing stockpile of crap though.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 05:42:05 pm »

Im... I got a solution.

Currently, most clothes you pick up from battle are in PERFECT CONDITION (more or less... traders dont mind blood and vomit) which seems a little silly.

Maybe they should have a tag for having holes in them, old, worn, bloody, and these tags would affect the price of the item.

"Ya, I dont care if it is a GCS sock, it's covered in VOMIT!"

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 06:09:35 pm »

It gets silly when you starts to buy anything you need ( not everything ) off a carvan, just by using the previous year's shipment of turtles and cave lobsters ( if they have any ) for the shellcraft or even just decent pace of bone and leather crafts from breeding animals. I'd consider it a low price to pay, esperically since one can still mass-manfacture pigtails out of literal dirt with decent farms.

I've bought out carvans just by trading previous year's raw materials turned into crafts. Granted they bought abnormally lot of cloths and leathers so yeah  ;D
Pages: [1] 2