Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave-ins  (Read 724 times)

Tizer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:awesome top hat]
    • View Profile
Cave-ins
« on: December 29, 2008, 09:08:50 am »

Hello, I have been playing Df (And i suck at it) for awhile now and been reading the wiki and such, but I'm a noob at it and im scared to make any large room (>10x10) because I don't want to have a big cave-in. So is it ok to make large room in z-2 and have some stuff above it on z-1?
And I have read the wiki and still don't get it. -.-

And while I'm here whats the point in weapon and armor racks?

Sorry for asking another thing but whats a good way to make a pit ie a hole thats more than 1 z thick? Sorry
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 09:12:07 am by Tizer »

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
Re: Cave-ins
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 09:14:50 am »

As long as there is contact with a single tile anywhere, you can make an infinitely large structure hold on it.

A cave-in will only happen if there is a completely unconnected piece of terrain or construction left to float in midair.

"Contact" is horizontal or vertical (and along the Z-axis too), not diagonal.

Tizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 09:24:29 am »

As long as there is contact with a single tile anywhere, you can make an infinitely large structure hold on it.

A cave-in will only happen if there is a completely unconnected piece of terrain or construction left to float in midair.

"Contact" is horizontal or vertical (and along the Z-axis too), not diagonal.

So your saying that it will not cave-in if its like

Z-1

#########
####. . . . #
. . . . . . . . #
####. . . . #
#########

Z-2

#########
#. . . . . . . .
#. . . . . . . .#
#. . . . . . .. #
#########

#= wall
.= floor

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 11:31:24 am »

Yes.  The "rooms that are too big will cave in" was from the old 2D version of DF. 

Nowadays you could hang an entire fortress floating in the air as long as it had one floor, somewhere, connecting it to land.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 11:56:53 am »

That's right.

If you want to remember it well, try building something.  Make a piece of wall with stairs next to it and then attempt to build a floor around its top.  You will see, as you move the cursor around, where you can and cannot build that floor.  Where the floor cannot be built is because attempting to do so would cause a cave in.

You only need to worry about cave-ins if you are sculpting something or removing constructions.  In this case, the best way to go around it is to dig/channel/deconstruct from top to bottom and from center outwards.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 11:59:47 am »

I'll grab the pit question then :p
If you [d]esignate a c[h]annel it won't just remove the rocks, but also the floor beneath said rocks and then another piece of rock.
So channelling will simply remove 2 z-layers worth of rock and remove the floor inbetween.
Doing this on the same spot on multiple z-layers will create a high drop ;)
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Tizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 02:42:52 pm »

I'll grab the pit question then :p
If you [d]esignate a c[h]annel it won't just remove the rocks, but also the floor beneath said rocks and then another piece of rock.
So channelling will simply remove 2 z-layers worth of rock and remove the floor inbetween.
Doing this on the same spot on multiple z-layers will create a high drop ;)

I tryed that but my miner just channels once and wont go into it to channel again.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 10:17:28 pm »

Does he have access to the lower level?

Also, cave-ins are a bitch when you're creating earthworks above ground level. Do NOT, under any circumstances, designate a floor that can have a tile made unconnected to anything.
If they make that before the one next to it, it will cave in and punch a tiny hole allllll the way down.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 11:23:46 pm »

You only need to worry about cave-ins if you are sculpting something or removing constructions.  In this case, the best way to go around it is to dig/channel/deconstruct from top to bottom and from center outwards.
Not true. It allows you to build a floor next to a bridge or grate- which will NOT support it, thus, instant "cave-in" complete with pillar of dust cloud.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets