Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A possible exploit  (Read 2196 times)

Zasit Alebath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jedvagenij.blog.hr
A possible exploit
« on: December 29, 2008, 04:17:44 am »

If you have kids in your fort, and you asign a meeting area somewhere, by the time they grow up, they will be maxed in all comunication skills, and be super strong/agile/tough ... makes me want to draft them right away
I deny that I exist, or have ever existed, for any legal purposes, particularly lawsuit.)
'b' is different than 'x' and a Bed doesn't hold back magma as well as a Floodgate no matter how fast you type.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A possible exploit
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 04:22:26 am »

Have you tested this? I didn't think they'd get there.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 04:26:43 am »

Don't know about maxing, but in my experience, well, 12 years of chattering? I'd think they'd be fairly skilled in such practices and I do tend to see them with decently high physical capacities on average when they grows up. (Course, this's assuming that kid's born inside of the fortress, thusly the 12 years for growing up  ;D )

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 04:48:32 am »

20 idlers will max out there social skills in about 2 years. I can't imagine that a 12 year old wouldn't manage to max out their skills with half a dozen other children.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 04:57:06 am »

Curiously, not even maximum stats, *steel (everything)* armor (chain under plate), and *steel shields*  can prevent a dwarf from being red-wounded and bedridden for life when sparring against someone with a *Steel Battle Axe*

Pro-tip: give the stupid little buggers something made of silver by a drooling incompetent, not dwarven steel made by a demigod of the metal arts.

Kreega

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 05:17:44 am »

This works best if you assign a really small meeting hall/statue garden/whatever, and have it be the only meeting place. With a 2x2 zoo, I managed to get every constant idler up to proficient (give or take) in all conversation skills in about a year and a half.

Edit: Also, it was an artifact cage with a tamed giant eagle in it, so they were all constantly ecstatic.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 05:19:41 am by Kreega »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 05:25:46 am »

Curiously, not even maximum stats, *steel (everything)* armor (chain under plate), and *steel shields*  can prevent a dwarf from being red-wounded and bedridden for life when sparring against someone with a *Steel Battle Axe*

Pro-tip: give the stupid little buggers something made of silver by a drooling incompetent, not dwarven steel made by a demigod of the metal arts.
give them weapons made of wood as thay do 50% of the damage and are cheap and easy to make.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 05:28:49 am »

And then when the goblin menace comes, all these kids are friends with each other.

And we know what can happen when a dwarf loses several friends at once...

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 06:17:25 am »

He doesn't care, because watching 10 goblins die makes you completely apathetic to everything ever.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 06:23:16 am by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 11:34:31 am »

This isn't an exploit, it's just the design.  If they weren't children, you could turn off all of their labors and they'd go to the meeting hall and converse anyways.  In fact, you could make them wrestlers and they'd also be champions at that point, too.

I think the "exploit" is more that a dwarf can go from being a wimp to an uberdwarf in 2 years or less.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 01:50:24 pm »

I think the "exploit" is more that a dwarf can go from being a wimp to an uberdwarf in 2 years or less.

That, and the fact that they can get uberstrong by talking to their buddies. Real life should be like that. Growing muscles by playing DF, running faster by surfing the forums.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 02:29:31 pm »

You think it's an exploit?

Wait 'till one of 'em dies.  I bet the resulting tantrum spiral would be epic.  ;)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 04:51:12 pm »

don't worry, that will be fixed with the next version
the next version will have 13 mental attributes, and they will likely be trained with all the chatting

so all you have then is intelligent dwarves, and not muscle monster dwarfes
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 05:22:30 pm »

urist mcdwarfy has build a nuclear bomb, he laughed when he saw the goblins die from it...
 sounds like fun part of the game if that can happen

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 05:36:12 pm »

don't worry, that will be fixed with the next version
the next version will have 13 mental attributes, and they will likely be trained with all the chatting

so all you have then is intelligent dwarves, and not muscle monster dwarfes

Yeah... The idea of an enraged genius dwarf disturbs me. Probably the quickest and easiest way to find out how to make a flamethrower out of nothing but basalt, silk cloth, and cheddar cheese, though.
Pages: [1] 2