Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Mars Fortress  (Read 5840 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Mars Fortress
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2009, 03:32:27 am »

I don't think this is a good thing. I'm not flaming, I'm just giving my two hot and spicy cents.

Thanks for coining "sciencefaggotry" and then pretending you weren't insulting anyone.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2009, 07:37:51 am »

I don't think this is a good thing. I'm not flaming, I'm just giving my two hot and spicy cents.

Thanks for coining "sciencefaggotry" and then pretending you weren't insulting anyone.

Hurp. My bad.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2009, 08:48:46 am »

Hurp. My bad.

4chan is another country.  They do things differently there.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2009, 02:42:16 pm »

"This is one small step for dwarf ... but one giant leap for dwarfkind"

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2009, 02:52:53 pm »

1: It's pretty clear that there are two mods being discussed in this thread.  The uber-realistic mars colony simulation (The one I'm interested in) and the space pirates DF in space game with aliens and lasers.

Anyway, I've read some pretty convincing arguments that the only difference between going to Mars and going to the Moon is the time you spend floating and the difficulty breaking the gravity well to come back.

That is, most of the energy spent going someplace local (inside the solar system) is spent escaping Earth's gravity, and Earth -> Moon (staging) -> Mars is significantly worse than Earth->Mars all in one big go, but better than Earth->Earth Orbit->Mars

Additionally, there is more useable material (sic. water) on Mars for low level chemistry fun (sic. making rocket fuel)

My .02 anyway

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2009, 05:37:27 pm »

Hurp. My bad.

4chan is another country.  They do things differently there.

4chan is a cesspool of acne-ridden teenagers with no friends masturbating over badly-drawn cartoons and laughing at disabled people because they're the rare few who actually are below them.

Anywho, maybe the RULESRULES rulers are right(TO A DEGREE). i enjoy somewhat of an illusion that I'm ther but I like to have my lasers and pirate alien 6-armed acrobat spacegirls
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2009, 09:13:51 pm »

[ECONOMY:ON]1 breath air:☼5? And those nobles are STILL breathing my air.

I'm calling dibs on "The Moon is a Harsh Fortress."
That's rather what made me think of it.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Ciber_Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2009, 11:20:17 pm »

Skiped bought half the thread but I have something to say actualy several things
Why Mars>moon:
Simple realy Energy on mars we not only have the ability to Quickly expand our energy production see solar panels BUT we have COMBUSTION
yes you heard me right its a form of low temp liquid silicon that BURNS in the atmospher of mars
while it is a late stage thing to make it is PERFECT rover fuel think would you rather bring huge batteries or rocket fuel or some other crap that requires you to carry 80%
of your weight in OXIDIZER no no you would not
back to solar panels and such:
on the moon you can have no combustion
and you must import almost all of your HYDROGEN for the reactions in converting the lunar soil into sompin useable
on mars you have wind power
on Mars you have a near earth leangth day
try growing plants on the moon
its a Logistics NIGHTMARE
you need batteries thAT LAST A MONTH

Ciber_Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2009, 11:42:45 pm »

Oops ran out of room pardon my grammer I tend ro ramble
and by that I mean Pardon my grammer
OR I WILL THROW FLAMING CANS AT YOU
This post will be on the topic of
Building Quick Easy Habs on mars:
Brick And Concrete:
you can make a fairly strong concrete useing plain dirt and water the water is reuseable
simply build a roman style arch building cover with a few feet of dirt for compression and boom you have a relativly airtight lom maintenence striucture with good radiation protection
you can spray the walls with a thin plastic film to make it entirely airtight OR
since the air in your hab is shurly warmer than the outside the moisture will likely freeze  in all the paths that air leaves through providing free sealant
BTW I get most of my info from the book The Case For Mars
i4got author and lost book
also i forgot to mention thears a good posibility for Geothermal power
My skedule for what we should send to mars
after we fijnd a good sight
1 sets up a basic greengouse and scouts around stay for 1my
2.will do greenhouse stuf stays for 2 myears the next one will be a thing holding the factory and nessasary machins to start building they spend the rest of thear time setting this stuf sup
4.thease guys stay for 2my they should make the first hab come with special parts for hab like airlock they will set up as a spacious kitchen/ baraks prolly connect to one of the habs entrances so they have easy axcess to comms n sutch
5.delivers anything that needs replaced and a 4th crew for a 2my stay
kinda the basics by the 10th my 20th earth year they should be  mostly self suffecent cept 4 complex things like microchips
after 20 years they should have ample food production to feed 8 comfortably with farming and maby tilipa tanks for ,meat they should have water and basicly everything other than complex things like chips they will probably import suplementary food
by 40 years im estimating atleast 1 base thats able to export something
btw from the first mission they make thear own rocket fuel but thats useing hydrogen in the erv not native hydrogen
the habs may have wheles to be moved around

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
  • [HOMEOTHERM:10032]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2009, 02:38:32 am »

I'm reading the thread, really digging it (hurr, hurr), and then out of nowhere, wham - the urge to claw out my eyes.

In any case, someone asked why one would want to go to Mars and not the Moon - last I checked, Mars was a bit bigger than the Moon and had more gravity.

Also, wouldn't more of an atmosphere help with the keeping of an atmosphere? With the whole MOAR GRAVITY thing?
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:RARE]
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
[ETHIC:USE_MIND_ALTERING_SUBSTANCES:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:CAUSE_UNFUNNY_DRAMA:SHUN]
[ETHIC:PLAY_DF_AS_ELVES:UNTHINKABLE]

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2009, 03:02:56 am »

4chan is a cesspool of acne-ridden teenagers with no friends masturbating over badly-drawn cartoons and laughing at disabled people because they're the rare few who actually They think are below them.

But yes, I did have plans for something like this. I never figured out in the underground has a constant temperature despite aboveground temperatures, which would allow me to make clothes that layer enough to protect from sub-freezing temperatures that would kill most life instantly. That and a system of resource generation while located entirely on a construction.

I might even get back to that mod. Dunno if I deleted it or not. I assure people it would be colorful sci-fi with the Latex Babes of Estros, and laser pistols and pew pews and stuff.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
  • [HOMEOTHERM:10032]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2009, 07:12:25 am »

I never figured out in the underground has a constant temperature despite aboveground temperatures, which would allow me to make clothes that layer enough to protect from sub-freezing temperatures that would kill most life instantly. That and a system of resource generation while located entirely on a construction.

I suspect this may be relevant, but it may not be - I was experimenting with my own custom race which prefer temperatures below -50C / -58F, and in temperate zones, meeting areas were labelled 'HOT' in red when designating meeting areas that (I think) would have caused heat damage to them.

This leads me to believe that there is a temperature difference - the custom race HATED being underground more than ten tiles or so because it allegedly was stiflingly warm.
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:RARE]
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
[ETHIC:USE_MIND_ALTERING_SUBSTANCES:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:CAUSE_UNFUNNY_DRAMA:SHUN]
[ETHIC:PLAY_DF_AS_ELVES:UNTHINKABLE]

Sourlout

• Bay Watcher
  • L-l-l-ook at you hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2009, 08:06:45 pm »

(I haven't read the rest of the comments)

When I first started playing Dwarf Fortress, I had a similar idea hit me.... every world generation is, in-fact, a new world to colonize. 

A little mix up to the dwarf fortress game play would be the fact that the original starting crew would be robots, with limited abilities, who are charged to set up a small base for humans (or "meat-bags", aka organics).  After they have created a controlled environment, then the humans would show up.  This would be desirable as the meat-bags would be able to do higher level research or goods.  There would be multiple trading groups, which you could get on the wrong side by creating black-market goods.

Anyway, I agree with you that the above would have to await for a difference version of dwarf fortress.  But, you gotta admit, a game like DF that inspires such creativity is freaking amazing in itself.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2009, 08:30:24 pm »

I love this idea In fact, I kind of imagine I am playing that sort of game already. If not in Mars, perhaps in the South Pole, isolated from civilization, and finding strange terrorific creatures.

"Horrors! Martians from the deep" falls around the line of what I want

Rather: HORRORS! SHOGGOTHS FROM THE DEEP!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 08:52:38 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2009, 08:29:42 am »

I have a piece of armor called the power suit, it's what you're looking for, it has high coverage, and immense block, and since it's made from space age materials, it weighs no more than 30 dwarf weight units
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6