Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worldgen bridges  (Read 687 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Worldgen bridges
« on: December 28, 2008, 11:05:13 am »

Currently civs go around chasms and the like when building tunnels. Why is this? The detour can be absolutely massive and this is seemingly pointless. Why not make them build bridges over chasms like they do above ground rivers? I can see why underground rivers or pools of any kind would be avoided since the tunnel would probably often run into the river instead of over it thanks to z level differences but chasms shouldn't pose any problems since they're empty

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen bridges
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 01:36:33 pm »

Well, Technicaly, once you've found damp rock you know your tunnel can go over it, so it would be logical that during world gen tunnels are build over or under rivers (but preferably over due to the posibility of collapse)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 01:39:33 pm »

I think they already build bridges over chasms.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Orange Drink

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 08:10:18 pm »

I think they already build bridges over chasms.

yes, they do. sometimes you might find a couple of batmen, ratmen or antmen in adventure mode, waiting to assault unwary elven traders.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 08:13:11 pm »

Personally I think their aversion to building bridges over Chasms makes perfect sense.

I personally would like to go the long way then take the path that leads to being mauled by metalic men.