Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quivers and lone bolts.  (Read 1206 times)

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
Quivers and lone bolts.
« on: December 28, 2008, 02:08:31 am »

I understand that at the moment consolidating single layabout bolts back into stacks isn't feasible because each bolt acquires new information about itself when it is fired that would be lost when it is restacked.  But I don't see why marksdwarves and hunters can't put single bolts back into their quiver and just have multiple stacks in the same quiver.  A quiver could hold a certain number of bolts total instead of one stack of however many bolts.

I guess it would involve an update to their AI because they would have to have some way to judge when they needed to get more bolts, and to stop wanting to get more bolts when they have enough, and to be able to decide to keep shooting at stuff even though they've gone under their minimum bolt level.  How hard would that stuff be to implement?
Adon * Amil * Orethan

LrZeph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quivers and lone bolts.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 05:16:28 am »

maybe you could set it so they only grab more ammunition if certain parameters are met...
eg: [NonCombat] if carried ammunition is < 25 (or X) and [Combat] Reload When empty
And everyone knows, when the Dwarves come out of the walls, it's all over.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 12:03:06 am »

Right now dwarves are supposed to take multiple stacks of bolts until it adds up to a certain number (not sure what number). Unfortunately, it is bugged and rarely works - however if you keep an eye on them every now and then you will have a marksdwarf with more then one stack of bolts in his quiver like he is supposed to.

I'm sure it will be fixed eventually.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 03:48:49 pm »

Right now dwarves are supposed to take multiple stacks of bolts until it adds up to a certain number (not sure what number). Unfortunately, it is bugged and rarely works - however if you keep an eye on them every now and then you will have a marksdwarf with more then one stack of bolts in his quiver like he is supposed to.

I'm sure it will be fixed eventually.

Yup.  It's one of those annoying lingering bugs.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 05:59:16 pm »

maybe you could set it so they only grab more ammunition if certain parameters are met...
eg: [NonCombat] if carried ammunition is < 25 (or X) and [Combat] Reload When empty
Anyone ever played GalaxyHack? User programmable AI'd be cool in DF, but I supose it'd be about as hard (if not harder) to implement as hardcoded AI...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch