Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: (Succession) Uthgurzuntir - Glory for the Queen! (New sign ups!)  (Read 15181 times)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Succession) Uthgurzuntir - Dig deep for the Queen!
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2009, 12:55:24 am »

The queen was not among them.  It tells you when the monarch comes.  (And iirc, the monarch shows up on the nobles screen.  At least that's how it worked in my last game)

5 Hematite:
Human traders have arrived.  I have ordered goods to be brought out to trade.

7 Hematite:
Dyansauri traders have arrived.  They are also moving to the depot.  I hope we don't get the two delegations confused.

15 Hematite:
We now have enough Adamantine wafers in stock to begin producing supreme equipment for our military.  I have ordered Bronzebeard to forge two sets for our two champion wrestlers.  Each set contains a cuirass, a shield, a helm, and a spear.  I have also ordered a very small amount made into bolts (to be reserved for a future demon battle).  This is surely a justifiable use of the Queen's adamantine deposits, since it goes to the protection of the fortress and the further mining of adamantine.  With such equipment, any dwarf could slay the demons of legend.

25 Hematite
The metalcrafter greenforge seemed to go wild today.  He kicked Bronzebeard out of his designated forge and began making wild demands.  Notably he demanded no less than THREE adamantine wafers.  I acquiesced to his demands.  I hope the queen will forgive me for using her adamantine so.

(ooc: Yes, he did specifically demand adamantine wafers - I wish I got a screenshot of it)

5 Malachite:
Master Silvercoin traded with humans and dyansauri today. He gave them mugs in exchange for various things.  He seemed to buy a lot of cheese.  I hope we can store it all.

12 Malachite:
Greenforge the metalcrafter has delivered, producing a very striking goblet!  Truly this is the most magnificent use of adamantine imaginable.  The Queen will be delighted when she comes!  The value of this goblet more than quadruples the fort's total worth.  However, I fear that we will be receiving more ambushes in the days to come, as enemies seek our riches.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

15 Malachite:
Bronzebeard has resumed production on the equipment for our soldiers.

2 Galena:
With the pits located, we can excavate much of the Adamantine deposits with no problems.  I have ordered our miners to do so.  But first, I told them to mine out an area upstairs so we have somewhere to store the Raw Adamantine.  I intend it to be the first thing shown to the Queen when she arrives.

15 Galena:
The equipment designed for our soldiers is complete.  They are equipping it now.  I am, however, unsatisfied with our champions' lack of knowledge regarding spearwork.  I have ordered them to train some in the use of spears.

16 Galena:
Don't give Adamantine spears to non-speardwarves and tell them to spar against poorly armored opponents.  Just don't.  In other news, we mourn the sudden and mysterious death of one of our recruits.

20 Galena:
With a sufficiently well-equipped military, I have decided it is time to clear out the pits of their denizens.  The attack will progress in several stages.  First, we will drop our secret weapon on top of the pit.  This will kill many of the pit's denizens and disorient the rest.  More importantly, it will divide the survivors, who can then be picked off individually at our leisure. 

After dropping the giant chunk of rock, the military of Urthguzuntir will move in.  The well-equipped, spear-wielding champions will take point, closely-followed by the marksdwarves carrying adamantine bolts.  In the very back will be the relatively unarmored wrestlers.  I hope they don't try to do something stupid like charge a demon unassisted.  That would prove quite fatal.

We will begin by clearing the hallway that Redstone barely managed to escape from alive.  We will then mine out pieces of the pit, clearing pockets as we go.

(OOC: HERE WE GO!)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 03:35:51 am by Christes »

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2009, 05:09:22 am »

One question...

Is there a way to assign unclaimed guardians ot military dwarves specifically?  I doubt it since they're like other animals, but I figure it's worth asking.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2009, 11:10:36 am »

Sadly, no. You can make them available to become pets, but that only means that dwarves who like guardians will most likely take them.

Hmmm...On thing you could do is tie some up near the back of the entrance to the pits. They'll at least slow down any demons who try to get by for a little bit. You should probably have some very carefully set up defenses back there in case the assault on the demons fails. It's fine if you try and fail, but we don't want to lose the fort because of demonic hordes if we can stop it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2009, 05:43:21 pm »

Stormaxe was standing near the demon wall.  That's what the dwarves had taken to calling the impromptu defense erected by Marblehands and Master Silvercoin a few months earlier.  It was a constant reminder to the dwarves inhabiting Urthguzuntir of how close their doom really was - a disconcerting spectacle made even worse by the fact that this wall was erected right up against a major stairwell that dwarves traversed daily.   How the demons had not managed to break out of such a makeshift defense, Stormaxe had no idea, but the military dwarf was certain she would see demons today.  Stonechanger had carefully presented the plan of attack to all of the military dwarves and they agreed it was sound, but that didn't change the deep pit she felt in her stomach.  She was a good soldier and she had seen action before in the underground river, but that was different.  The enemies she faced there were essentially animals.  Today, she was about to combat demons from the UNDERWORLD ITSELF, so powerful that ancient gods imprisoned them in a chamber of Adamantine to keep them from the outside world.  How could a meager dwarf like her hope to face them?  Stormaxe took solace in the fact that her equipment was crafted from adamantine as well - if it was good enough for the gods, it would have to be good enough for her.  Then Stormaxe remembered her place, noticing the other military dwarves standing around her looking up to her as a leader.  Now was not the time or place to show his true feelings. 

Edit: I am a sexist pig.  Stormaxe's gender has been fixed. Bloody unmarked genders

Fortunately for Stormaxe, her uncomfortable reverie was interrupted by the immense sound of crashing stone.  The attack had begun.  The dwarves knocked down the demon wall and moved in.

(linky linky - Sorry about the initial high speed.  You might want to slow it down for the first few seconds)

Stormaxe shot a knowing look at her similarly-equipped companion, Nightshield.  With a nod of assent from her companion, Stormaxe charged at full speed down the hallway.  The other dwarves followed.  The hallway was very cluttered and the dwarves struggled for footing.  Strewn all about was the rubble from Redstone's initial mining mingled together with the bodies of the gibbering masses that had exited the chamber thanks to the same dwarven miner.  The attack party got about halfway down the corridor before they noticed something up ahead.  As they approached, the figure's demonic nature became apparent. 

Stormaxe faced the demon.  What she saw sent shivers down her stout dwarven spine.  Standing before her was an entity of incarnate vise and corruption.  It was over twice her stature and vaguely humanoid, with scaly pink skin and bloodshot red eyes.  Sticking out of its sides were six tentacles that hovered at the demon's sides, waiting for his command.  The dwarf and the demon spent a moment sizing each other up.  The demon seemed unimpressed.  He recognized these creatures. He knew they were tough, but he had personally broken the will of countless dwarves in his eternal existence.  He would enjoy breaking the will of this one.  With his mind filled with thoughts of various tortures, the tentacle demon sent a piercing tentacle strike at Stormaxe.  Stormaxe braced herself for a bone-shattering blow, but was surprised when the strike deflected and only minor bruising. 

The demon stared at the dwarf in shock.  That had never happened before.  Undaunted, the demon continued his attack. The tentacled fiend was clearly not aware of Brozebeard's skill at the forge, nor was he aware of the strength of adamantine when forged with dwarven ingenuity.  More importantly, the demon was also not aware of the three marksdwarves standing behind Stormaxe, who were at this very point aiming their weapons at him.  The spear-wielding dwarf braced herself for another brutal blow, but was relieved to hear the pew pew pew of crossbows firing adamantine bolts behind her.  She looked up just in time to see the demon collapse under his own weight, with many adamantine bolts protruding from his body.

But there was no time to dwell on the victory.  There were more demons to slaughter.  Stormaxe and Nightshield continued down the hallway.  Encouraged by the victory, the wrestling company had advanced from the back and was running alongside them.  They quickly found two more demons, and they immediately suffered the same fate of their companion, struck down by forged adamantine. Down the hall, the dwarves saw even more foes.  They moved to engage.  Now the dwarves could see three demons - the fight was on. The corridor was so narrow that the demons had to come in single-file.  The first in line, recognizing the futility of most attacks on Stormaxe and Nightshield, took out it's aggression on the nearby wrestling company that had advanced into the fray.  He struck one in the lower body, mangling dwarven flesh and sending the wrestler sprawling.  Two more fell, with mangled hands and feet.  Just in time, the fiend found himself impaled on Stormaxe's spear.  The next demon struck at Stormaxe, striking her unarmored right hand with such force that it broke.  Stormaxe fell, but managed to defend herself from further injury as the last two demons were dispatched.

(linky linky)

The dwarves had finished the fight in less than 30 seconds, but it was just in time.  A horde of civilian dwarves swamped the battlefield, picking up anything they could find - rocks, bones, even entire demon carcasses.  All in all, six demons were dead and four dwarves were injured - one of them Stormaxe.  Stormaxe had only suffered a broken hand, but looking at the horrific injuries suffered by the wrestling company, she realized that the adamantine armor crafted by Bronzebeard had probably saved her life several times over.  They had cleared the hall leading to the mysterious chamber, but Stonechanger ordered the second half of the assault postponed until the some of the dwarves recuperated.

3 Limestone
The soldiers have cleared Redstone's hallway without a single death among them. I have ordered the attack on the demon chamber temporarily postponed.  The soldiers invloved will get time off for at least the next month.  They deserve it!

Edit: I am a sexist pig.  Stormaxe's gender has been fixed.  Bloody unmarked genders
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 02:35:00 am by Christes »

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2009, 04:49:22 pm »

Nothing like a long story-driven update to make everyone go silent, heh.

Anyway, this is briliant.  I'm trying to mine out as much Raw Adamantine as I can, and it turns out that previous exploratory mining just barely missed some deposits.  And I mean JUST BARELY.  If this tunnel were any wider, or if it had been one tile to the left or right, it would have hit some.  It really threaded the needle.

(The big missing square chunk comes from the rock dropped on the demons)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 04:56:39 pm by Christes »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2009, 05:06:28 pm »

Yeah, I do very fine-toothed combing for stuff when I get to that point. And by that I mean having a bunch of 1-tile wide corridors with a two-wide wall between them, which means every single square gets either dug out or made visable. Time consuming, but what else do legendary miners have to do?

Glad to hear that the soldiers did well. Although I'm somewhat amused that Stormaxe is using a spear. But, oh, well, it does make sense when fighting demons.

Are you going to attempt any more fighting yourself or are you going to save some fun for the next player in line?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2009, 05:23:22 pm »

I'm not quite sure. 

I realize that I've pretty much ruined it for everyone at this point, since I've basically eliminated the demons and mined most of the adamantine at the same time, which is the entire goal of the expedition.  I might leave something so everyone doesn't hate me.  ::)  Of course, if Bluerobin would prefer everything be dealt with, then that's just fine too.

Right now I have a room set up adjacent to one of the pockets with obsidian guardians locked in it.  I might just leave that there for future rulers.  The idea is to put the military in there, then mine out the tile and the obsidian guardians will help.  There must be ~10 tiles of adamantine on the boundary of chamber that will most likely let the demons out if mined.  So they do need to be cleared to get it all.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2009, 05:26:47 pm »

Hmmm. Well, if nothing else the giant wealth of the fortress should spawn huge armies against us. This mod IS much more violent then vanilla DF, so that could still be fun for people farther down the list.

And, of course, there are the mega projects that can be built. And a queen who will come and need to be catered to. I'm adding a new rule: NO KILLING THE QUEEN! We are supposed to be loyal dwarves, after all, and killing her off would pretty well ruin the story.
Come play Mafia with us!

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2009, 05:27:39 pm »

You might want to wall of the cave-ined because if there is the Demon leader as I call him A.K.A the one that can fly, shoot fire balls, and is really strong that could be bad.
also what type of demons where in the Pit? (if you mentioned it I am sorry that I missed it)
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2009, 05:31:29 pm »

It's tentacle demons.  And the demon leader tends to die as easily as the others, in my experience, maybe taking one dwarf out first with a fireball or something.

err, yeah.  I've dealt with the pits too many times before.  Way for me to be the one to breach it.  I would've loved to see a complete pit newbie break through.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2009, 08:33:28 pm »

It's tentacle demons.  And the demon leader tends to die as easily as the others, in my experience, maybe taking one dwarf out first with a fireball or something.

err, yeah.  I've dealt with the pits too many times before.  Way for me to be the one to breach it.  I would've loved to see a complete pit newbie break through.

*Newbie Pitter starts DF*
*Praise the Miners we have struck Adamantine*
Newbie Pitter: hey cool I got Adamantine I rule!!!
*Horrors, Demons in the deep*
Newbie Pitter: whats this!!! Spirts of fire ha that can't be stronger then fire Imps
Newbie Pitter: WTF WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH THESE FUCKING DEMONS WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!
*Your Settlement has crumbed to its end*
and Remember Kids the Moral of the story is:
:D

EDIT: well anyways this is what happened to me the first time I found Adamantine ;D
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2009, 10:12:39 am »

Heh I don't know that that would have been me, but it would have probably been close  ::)

Anyway, I don't particularly care if you clean up the demons.  I probably won't do a whole lot with the adamantine since I really don't know much about it.  I'm a big fan of megaprojects though and pleasing nobles while fighting off hordes of hostiles can still be a challenge.  I've always wanted to get a military up and running that can handle large sieges without too much trap assistance and I've got a small one going in a fort I'm working on now, so I could give that a try.  Really, whatever works.  ;D
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2009, 02:43:09 pm »

I'll clean 'em out then, so the military can worry about other stuff.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2009, 02:58:18 pm »

Sounds like a plan.  Would you mind uploading a map to the DFMA at some point?  I want to plan a megaproject   ;D
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2009, 03:30:26 pm »

There's this one from after year 1:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4250-demonanvil-falcion

If you're planning something outside, it would work well.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10