Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: (Succession) Uthgurzuntir - Glory for the Queen! (New sign ups!)  (Read 15165 times)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Succession) Uthgurzuntir - Dig deep for the Queen!
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2009, 06:34:20 pm »

11 Limestone
The dwarven caravan has arrived. As ordered, the dwarves brought many metal bars and stone guardians.  Master Silvercoin bought metal bars and various other goods in exchange for stone goblets and crafts.  The stone guardians were too expensive to be purchased in the initial transaction, so we looked for more goods to sell.  The dwarves were willing to part with a guardian in exchange for a souveneir from the demon battle, however.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I ordered Greenforge to make a little something special to pay for the guardians.  They were willing to part with the stone guardians in exchange for some of his handywork.

20 limestone
We've had numerous bugbear ambushes in the last few months, and we had another one today.  Today, however, the ambush party was led by a dwarf.  The dwarf somehow managed to slip over our traps while the rest of the squad perished.  He was summarily killed, and is now buried in our catacombs.  We have already lost several dwarves to ambushes.  I hope this trend does not continue.

26 Limestone
Stormaxe has recovered!  Truly marvelous.  Now we can finish the fight with the demons.  The recently purchased guardians will surely be put to good use.

15 Sandstone
The adamantine extraction has progressed well.  The stockpile is being put to good use.

20 Sandstone
The recently purchased sone guardians seem to have taken a liking to the dining room.

24 Sandstone
We received immigrants today.  There were only 8 of them.  This is most unusual given our newfound wealth.

1 Siege Operator
1 Clothier
2 Peasants
1 Soapmaker
1 Tanner
1 Craftsdwarf
1 Metalcrafter
-----
8 immigrants

2 Timber
Sarvesh the clothier has withdrawn from society.  I expect some special clothing!

7 Timber
Ok, we've delayed long enough.  Time to eliminate the demons.  If we can take out six, we could have no problem eliminating the individual pockets of them.  Our miners will dig out a chamber adjacent to one of the pockets and we wil start there.  Obsidian guardians will help in the attack.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2009, 11:54:05 pm »

Cool. Do you have an ETA on when the next report will be up?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2009, 02:13:25 am »

Hopefully tomorrow.

I've been doing a lot of coding for other stuff lately, and playing a detail-intensive game like DF isn't quite so appealing as it is normally.  I have enough of a headache as it is.  =/ 

I shoud be able to finish soon, though.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2009, 04:46:34 am »

Scratch that, there's a micro-update right now:

5 Moonstone
It took a while to get the obsidian guardians in place, but they are there now.  The attack will commence as soon as Stromaxe is back from her drink.  I would normally complain, but I want Stormaxe in top physical condition.

7 Moonstone
Now Nightshield has gone for a drink. oy!

9 Moonstone
Frost giant caravan arrived today.  Initiated standard trade procedures.

13 Moonstone
It is the eve of battle and we have a minor piece of good news.  Miners have struck celestial marble while looking for more adamantine.

14 Moonstone
The attack has begun.  I can hear the sounds of battle as I engrave the rooms in the living quarters.

15 Moonstone
Well ... that was easy.  The attack found a sum total of ONE tentacle demon (which was quickly slaughtered).  Miners have also located the remains of 9 tentacle demons crushed in the fall.  The remainder of the demons (including the massive leader demon spoken of in all legends), must have been knocked into the pit or scorched by magma.  Miners are mining out the newly-freed adamantine deposits.  I believe that's the last of the unmined adamantine this site has to offer.

22 Moonstone
Finally conducted trade with the Frost giants.  They brought leather, meat, and cheese.  And lots of them.  Yummy.

15 Moonstone
The adamantine mining is complete!  At least I believe so.  All the adamantine here has been mined out.  Most of it is sitting in the raw form in our storage area.  I did a good job estimating the necessary size.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2009, 11:52:32 am »

Hmm I'd been wondering why I either felt like coding or playing DF and not both...  I guess that makes sense.  Although that probably means I should be playing less DF.  Oh well!  I don't HAVE to be coding  :P

Also, nice job with the adamantine.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2009, 04:54:46 pm »

*pokes Christes with a sharp stick*

Status? ETA of the next update?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2009, 08:52:06 pm »

I haven't updated because there's been nothing to say :P

Granite 1:
The last months of my rule have been rather uneventful.  With the demons destroyed and the adamantine mined, there is little else for our expedition to do.

I had a tall vertical shaft built directly over the pit up to the higher level.  Now we can toss our garbage and prisoners to the underworld below!

Other than some other mining projects, there has only been one other significant project going on.  I am an engraver by trade, and I have spent all of my free time in the last year plying my trade

The results are epic.

OOC:

The purpose of this fort is to eventually breach the infernal pits, kill the demonspawn within, and mine out all the precious adamantite for the king.

Do I get a prize? xD

Map:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4352

Save:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=787
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 09:00:51 pm by Christes »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2009, 08:58:03 pm »

Hehe. Yes, you win a *Dwarven Syrup Roast*!

I didn't really expect us to achieve our goal quite so early, but it's all good. We still have an interesting spot, and it's a good chance for people to play around with Adamantine without worrying about killing us all off.

Bluerobin427, you're up!
Come play Mafia with us!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2009, 06:42:26 pm »

Hey sorry I've been busier than normal and didn't realize I was up!  I'll have at least a quick intro for me up tonight and more tomorrow when I have more time. (thanks for the PM!)

(EDIT: hehe this is going to be fun... I chose one of the children as my character.  It's a pain in the butt to write as him though because I want him to sound intelligent for a child, but to still sound like a child.  Fun nonetheless!)

(EDIT2: my first couple of lines... more coming later tonight after I finish classwork)

From the diary of Olin Imushfoker -

Today Master Silvercoin came up to me on one of his short breaks and told me that Stonechanger had finished her term as leader of our growing community.  I said back that this was good to know, but that I wasn't sure why he seemed to be rushing to tell me.  He looked over his shoulder (like he wanted to make sure no one was listening!) and told me he wanted me to have a go at leading. 

...huh?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 08:20:04 pm by Bluerobin427 »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2009, 07:51:56 pm »

Hehe. This should be interesting indeed!
Come play Mafia with us!

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2009, 08:15:21 pm »

From the diary of Olin Imushfoker -

Today Master Silvercoin came up to me on one of his short breaks and told me that Stonechanger had finished her term as leader of our growing community.  I said back that this was good to know, but that I wasn't sure why he seemed to be rushing to tell me.  He looked over his shoulder (like he wanted to make sure no one was listening!) and told me he wanted me to have a go at leading. 

...huh?

Unless I'm horribly mistaken, Stonechanger is female :P

btw, do we want to pose any restrictions on the use of the adamantine (since it is for the queen)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2009, 08:27:06 pm »

Now that I'm the leader, I should probably say who I am. 

I should also probably date this diary so I know when things happened.
Granite 1, 1054

Today is my first day making decisions around here.  Sort of.  My good friends Master Silvercoin and (later) Lord Ironbeast the dungeon master told me I should tell them what my decisions are and they will tell the rest of the dwarves, since "the dwarves may not respond well to orders from one so much younger than themselves."  Or something like that.

I started looking around the fortress and the notes that the leaders had left.  I've lived here for almost a year but I still don't know what some of the levers in the control room do or even where all of the workshops are!  Once I read some of the reports (why do adults write so boringly?) and walked around for a while I started getting a good feel for where things are and how they are, or aren't, organized.  I know that Stonechanger was busy dealing with demons and the adamantine that the miners came across for a lot of her time as leader and so things aren't as ordered as they were in the old mountainhome where I was born.  Some of the notes for the leaders were pretty funny and I kind of wish I knew who wrote some of them.  "This lever kills demons" was probably Stonechanger, but one of them just says "if I remember, this is to control the river grate.  I don't suggest this being pulled." 

Once I started getting strange looks for my pacing around the fortress I thought it would be a good idea to read over some of the history and the reports for how things are going.  Since I learned to read I've always wanted to learn as much as I could from books, so maybe Master Silvercoin made a good choice.  He has started calling me "Quickthought" instead of Olin. 

Nah, he probably just chose me because he thinks "Now that the demons are gone, even a kid could run this place!"  I'll have to show him and make my mark!

First on the list:
-Make more drinks!
-Make more food!
-Make a bigger dining room!

After those are handled I can see if the stockpiles really need to be reorganized as much as I want them to be, or if they're ok as they are (hauling never looked like much fun).  Also, I need to pick a big project to work on and leave my impact!  Do I want to make an underground tree farm or do I want to make a landmark outside that will draw dwarves from all around?  Hmm...

OOC:
First of all, good catch on Stonechanger's gender.  I'll keep an eye out for that in the future.  Also, good god Christes... the legends page for this place is half JUST from your legendary engravings. 

Second, random information gleaned from the legends page of the site:
-10 demons were crushed and one "died of heat", probably magma-related.  The leader was one of the crushed ones.
-Olin ("Quickthought") was born in 1045, so he should become an adult sometime during the reign of either the person after me or the year after that.  Neat.

Other peculiarities of the legends pages that I didn't know until now:
-Migrants really don't exist before they pop up at your borders.  It doesn't even say where they supposedly migrated from or who their parents were unless they're children.

If anyone wants to know anything about the fort feel free to ask, since it's pretty much in character for me to respond.

I didn't have any plans to use the adamantine, so I'm pretty indifferent to restrictions.  Story-wise it could definitely make sense to save it, but it could also be used to spruce up the fortress to make a new mountainhome "for the queen," if we wanted to look at it that way. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 08:49:36 pm by Bluerobin427 »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2009, 08:31:40 pm »

Good question about the adamantine.

The initial idea stated that the Adamantine was being mined in order to help equip the soldiers of the kingdom with superior arms and armor to help combat their foes.

With that, and a desire to let everyone play with it a bit, I think we can set some basic rules in place.

1) We have 10 players in line right now, and 569 units of Adamantine (Bluerobin, please confirm this). Therefore, no one is allowed to use more then 50 units during their turn. The extra 69 or so are to be saved for mandates and moods.

2) Any use is to be focused on high quality weapons and armor. No letting low-skill smiths touching the stuff! Since Bronzebeard is a legendary armorer, it makes sense to let him make all the armor. The best smith for the job should always be used. The forge Profile is our friend here. (If you REALLY want to make adamantine clothing or something, ok, but not too much. Unless it's for a mandate, of course)

3) Weapons and Armor can either be used by our military or sold to the dwarven caravan for use elsewhere in the kingdom. The other races shall get none of this material we've risked our lives for!

That's about it, I think. Unless someone else can think of a good rule.

Oh, and Bluerobin. Since your character likes Shimmersteel, you may want to explore the marble layers for Levitite. It's needed to make the stuff, and you're quite welcome to include it in your megaproject if you can make some.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 08:33:16 pm by Mephansteras »
Come play Mafia with us!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2009, 08:35:21 pm »

Yup 569 raw adamantine and 12 wafers.  That sounds like a good plan to me.

Also, I just noticed that job orders for food and drink are already in place by Christes, so... yeah.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2009, 10:31:30 pm »

Granite 6

The last few days have been a blur.  I've decided that since Master Silvercoin seems to want to dabble in masonry I would reassign his bookkeeping duties to a soaper, previously named Ast.  She now goes by Rune and has been busying herself finishing the counting that Master Silvercoin started.  The expansion of the dining room is all ready almost finished, mostly because our miners and engravers are amazingly skilled.  The mining took less than a day and the smoothing of the stone will probably only take half a day more!  Also, it turns out Stonechanger left some work orders for more food and drink, so I don't need to worry about that yet. 

Wow I thought it would take at least the first month to get this far!  Time to start stirring things up.

Granite 15

The high elves showed up the trade today, and it looks like a chaos dwarf thief came with them looking to steal one of the children of the fortress!  Someone found him the first step he took past the walls though, so he ran away pretty fast.  Also, I laid out plans for the miners to start my underground forest and to expand some caves for spiders so we'll have more silk if we want.

Granite 24

I got annoyed with tripping over the rocks in the new part of the dining room, so I told Master Silvercoin to tell people to dump them into the pit to the underworld that Stonechanger had had made. 

Much better.

Granite 25

Master Silvercoin went to trade with the high elves today.  He traded a bunch of stone crafts that we had for about 12000 worth of drinks, plants, flour, and some steel shields.  Also, to save the haulers some work, he offered the rest of what we'd brought as a gift (about 2000 worth).  The elves seems happy about that, and we still have about 300 mugs and 200 other crafts to trade.  Really, I just want to get rid of as much as possible to free up space and get rid of the stone sitting around!

AMBUSH!
Some chaos dwarves were apparently waiting outside the walls, but one of them must have decided it would be a good idea to poke around at the trade depot and the high elves spotted him!  They made short work of him and I sent out our adamantine-clad champions, Nightshield and Stormaxe, to help out the elves.  The elves and our two champions smashed the other four chaos dwarves to pieces and the traders packed up and went on their way.

SLATE 3

OH NO! OH NO!  THE QUEEN'S HERE DRESSED AS A PEASANT!  WHAT DO I DO? WHAT DO I DO?

Slate 4

For some reason the queen is staying where we first spotted her.  We're not sure if we have to make the first move or if she's just somehow knows that we don't have a throne room for her yet.  In other news, there was another small chaos dwarf ambush of 6 axedwarves today that was dealt with by the remaining elves before our military dwarves made an appearance.

Slate 5

Today a bunch more dwarves showed up. 
I guess they were traveling with the queen and got separated at some point.  She's still standing out at the boundary of our designated land, so I sent out Nightshield and Stormaxe to keep her company until we figure out why she's staying out there.

OOC: Now that I'm actually letting DF run instead of just looking around at things like I did for my first post, I realized this is only running at about 35 FPS.  Yuck.  It's probably just from the fact that we're over so many Z-levels and there's an underground river with stuff in it, so I'll just push on through.

The mayor wants coins.  Sorry, but that's one mandate I'm not filling. 

Why the heck is the queen sitting at the edge of the map?  She's just listed as "friendly" in the units list and she shuffles around a bit like a dwarf that's where it wants to be.  I've never had a king/queen show up as a peasant so I don't know if I have to fulfill the normal conditions before she'll move in or what the problem is.  Any input would be great.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10