Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: (Succession) Uthgurzuntir - Glory for the Queen! (New sign ups!)  (Read 15179 times)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Succession) Uthgurzuntir - Dig deep for the Queen!
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2009, 02:52:52 am »

Journal of Stonechanger Afennish, mason at Urthguzuntir

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Granite 1:
So I'm walking along, minding my own business when this Redstone guy informs me that I'm the new leader of this place.  I'm assuming he picked me at random, seeing as I am but a simple engraver with no leadership experience at all.  He says he sees some sort of "potential" in me.  I think he's just lazy, but what is a simple dwarf to do? 

Since this place seems pretty stable at the moment, I ordered a new batch of exploratory mining.  We seem to have Granite deposits on the lower level, which can contain Truesilver.  Such an opportuniy cannot be ignored.  If we get gold and platinum as well, we could make Orihalcum. Yes... pretty, pretty Orihalcum.

Granite 13:
A bugbear ambush was spotted today.  Perhaps they were intending to rob this place of its wealth.  Regardless, they were summarily slaughtered by our traps and soldiers.  What were they thinking?

Granite 15:
Redstone found a Native Silver deposit today.  At first my heart raced at the discovery of silvery metal.  Could it be the elusive Truesilver? Could we have Mithril?  But, alas, it was merely mundane silver.  Regardless, it is still a great discovery.  We will mine this out later, however.  I ordered Redstone to redouble his efforts looking for Truesilver, and to focus on the lower levels where he found the silver.  We will find Truesilver by the time I am done here, I swear!

Redstone was working by himself in the lower levels below Urthguzuntir.  Stonechanger had ordered him to mine out tunnels in the hope of finding truesilver in the granite deposits below.  The woman was obsessed, he thought to himself, but she was right.  He didn't share her fondness for Orihalcum - he prefered his gold simply alloyed with silver - but he recognized the benefits of finding the elusive truesilver  A mithril industry would be a boon to a growing outpost like Urthguzuntir.  Mithril was no Adamantine, to be sure, but it could sure make good weapons.  Redstone's musings were suddenly interrupted as his dwarven ear noticed something peculiar.   It was an odd resonance to the stone as he struck it.  He wasn't sure what it was - perhaps a vein of minerals up ahead.  Maybe it was that elusive vein of Truesilver that Stonechanger sought.  In any case, his dwarven curiosity (not to mention his dwarven avarice) was peaked, and he sped up his mining to discover what it was ahead.

Redstone's curiosity turned to astonishment as his pick suddenly broke though the rock into hollow space.  A burst of stale ancient air came forth from the space, and Redstone dropped his pick in shock.  After regaining his composure, Redstone surveyed his new discovery.  He was immediately confronted with a mass of blathering and quivering beings rushing out of the exit he had just created for them.  Dyansauri, Xelics, Vamari - all sorts of beings were here, and they all seemed to be equally entranced.  Their intelligent consciousnesses were long gone.  Confused, Redstone looked deeper into the chamber, and his dwarven eyes immediately noticed a mineral deposit on the far wall.  It was Adamantine!  It clearly was!  He had only heard of such things in legends, but here, plain as day, was the goal of this entire expedition.  His elation gave way to horror as he remembered the rest of those legends regarding Adamantine.  He grabbed his pick and ran away as fast as he could.

OOC: Crap! (Decent cliffhanger, though)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 11:42:05 pm by Christes »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2009, 10:15:09 am »

Oh snap. I know that we don't have a sufficent military for these guys yet, then again I don't know what kind of demons they are.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2009, 11:03:43 am »

*Shrugs* whats the worst that can happen, We're dwarves afterall!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2009, 12:57:14 pm »

Haha awesome!  Just don't get us COMPLETELY killed before my turn  :P

I guess you might still be able to wall it off if you have to, but it sounds like you're probably already dealing with it in one way or another.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2009, 02:11:46 pm »

Oh snap. I know that we don't have a sufficent military for these guys yet, then again I don't know what kind of demons they are.

Well there's a mysterious white substance in the chamber... so they're hentai tentacle demons.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2009, 02:13:27 pm »

Hehe. Well, that was a bit early. My suggestion is to wall it off and start the planning of how to take care of them. My suggestion is to carve out a giant hollow chamber a good ways back from where they were found. Make it go several z-levels up. Have the top level carved out with fortifications for archers, and the bottom level with fortifications for siege engines.  Also, rig up a large section to drop on command as a last resort.

Mostly, though, I doubt we're ready for them. So I think the next few turns should be spend preparing. We'll want champions in at least good quality steel, if not void crystal or something better (if we can get it). Also, I suggest someone order as much Storm crystal as we can get from the dwarven caravans. And Iron, if we haven't found any yet. That'll give us Tempestium bolts, which will really improve our chances of taking out demons.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2009, 02:45:22 pm »

Redstone ran, quickly outpacing the babbling creatures that passed him earlier, all the while screaming "Demons!" at the top of his lungs.  He hadn't seen any yet, but he was sure they were following him.  Master Silvercoin and Marblehands both ran down to see what the commotion was about.  They found a frightened dwarven miner yelling at them to wall the passage off.  And wall it off they did.  Using their finely-honed dwarven skills, they constructed a wall blocking the passage, finishing it just in time for Redstone to escape.  They all breathed a sigh of relief.  Any threat to Urthguzuntir was prevented for the time being.

Mid spring

3 Slate:
In all of the commotion with Redstone's new discovery, we didn't notice the High Elf merchants come in last month.  I got to it today, ordering Master Silvercoin to trade goblets for berries, cages, and metals.  Give them a heavy profit, I say.  Maybe they'll bring more interesting stuff next year.

10 Slate:
We're safe from the pits, but it frightens me having such potential danger so close.  I have ordered a large block of stone chiseled out directly above the chamber.  Demons might be tough to fight in melee combat, but I'd like to see them fight against collapsing stone!

5 Felsite:
The plan to eliminate the demons is going well.  Most of the rock has been chiseled out.  I have ordered mechanics to construct a support holding the rock up and to attach this support to a lever in the lever room.  One pull of a lever will bring doom to all below.

12 Felsite:
We got immigrants today!  We should expect many more immigrants to come, especially as word gets out about our adamantine deposits.  Many of these new arrivals will learn the trade of strand extracting.

1 Dungeon Master
1 Soap Maker
1 Cheese Maker
1 Planter
1 Animal Trainer
1 Potash Maker
5 Peasants
1 Fisherdwarf
1 Fish Dissector
3 Leatherworkers
1 Cook
1 Butcher
1 Child
1 Stoneworker
1 Engineer
1 Thresher

-----
22 immigrants

20 Felsite:
The makeshift dwarven weapon against the demons is now ready to go.  I have not ordered the lever ro be pulled yet, however.  There is no doubt that some demons will survive the collapse, either in the hallway dug by Redstone or in various pockets caused by the falling stone.  Our best bet is a combined operation - drop the rock and move in with standard military forces while the survivors are stunned.  However, Urthguzuntir currently lacks the military necessary to take down even a few demons.  That will change after our legendary armorer gets his hands on some adamantine wafers, however.  I have ordered adamantine production into full gear.

(So what if cave-ins are cheap?  I can't think of a more dwarven way of dealing with the problem :P)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 04:41:14 pm by Christes »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2009, 03:03:11 pm »

Tentical demons don't have a ranged attack or fly do they? If you can somehow reveal them you could just pepper them with bolts after you open the celing (through cave in or digging) as long as no opennings are created that would let them out (like if they can fly but no ranged then carve fortifications).

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2009, 03:17:38 pm »

No but there is a flying demon with the tentacles.  There always is, as far as I can tell.  In any case, here's a teaser:

This now accounts for over 1/4 of the fortress's wealth.  More are to come!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 04:38:22 pm by Christes »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2009, 08:57:58 pm »

No but there is a flying demon with the tentacles.  There always is, as far as I can tell.  In any case, here's a teaser:

This now accounts for over 1/4 of the fortress's wealth.  More are to come!

Try to save some of that stuff for artifacts, prefereably weapon or armor ones.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2009, 09:03:06 pm »

We got tons.  I tried to take as little as was required for weapons/armor, since it is for the queen after all. 

But does this meet your criteria?  It's not a weapon but...

It's worth more than 3 times all the other wealth in the fort combined

(I should really stop giving this stuff away before I post my entries)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2009, 09:48:12 pm »

...geez apparently I need to play around with HFS more often.  I've never seen something worth even close to that much.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2009, 05:57:20 am »

I hope there's a fortress left at all when it's finally my turn :P

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2009, 03:51:28 pm »

Sorry, I've gotten a bit bogged down with real life stuff atm.  I'll be posting another update tonight/tomorrow, I hope.

raptor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2009, 12:14:04 am »

Redstone ran, quickly outpacing the babbling creatures that passed him earlier, all the while screaming "Demons!" at the top of his lungs.  He hadn't seen any yet, but he was sure they were following him.  Master Silvercoin and Marblehands both ran down to see what the commotion was about.  They found a frightened dwarven miner yelling at them to wall the passage off.  And wall it off they did.  Using their finely-honed dwarven skills, they constructed a wall blocking the passage, finishing it just in time for Redstone to escape.  They all breathed a sigh of relief.  Any threat to Urthguzuntir was prevented for the time being.

Mid spring

3 Slate:
In all of the commotion with Redstone's new discovery, we didn't notice the High Elf merchants come in last month.  I got to it today, ordering Master Silvercoin to trade goblets for berries, cages, and metals.  Give them a heavy profit, I say.  Maybe they'll bring more interesting stuff next year.

10 Slate:
We're safe from the pits, but it frightens me having such potential danger so close.  I have ordered a large block of stone chiseled out directly above the chamber.  Demons might be tough to fight in melee combat, but I'd like to see them fight against collapsing stone!

5 Felsite:
The plan to eliminate the demons is going well.  Most of the rock has been chiseled out.  I have ordered mechanics to construct a support holding the rock up and to attach this support to a lever in the lever room.  One pull of a lever will bring doom to all below.

12 Felsite:
We got immigrants today!  We should expect many more immigrants to come, especially as word gets out about our adamantine deposits.  Many of these new arrivals will learn the trade of strand extracting.

1 Dungeon Master
1 Soap Maker
1 Cheese Maker
1 Planter
1 Animal Trainer
1 Potash Maker
5 Peasants
1 Fisherdwarf
1 Fish Dissector
3 Leatherworkers
1 Cook
1 Butcher
1 Child
1 Stoneworker
1 Engineer
1 Thresher

-----
22 immigrants

20 Felsite:
The makeshift dwarven weapon against the demons is now ready to go.  I have not ordered the lever ro be pulled yet, however.  There is no doubt that some demons will survive the collapse, either in the hallway dug by Redstone or in various pockets caused by the falling stone.  Our best bet is a combined operation - drop the rock and move in with standard military forces while the survivors are stunned.  However, Urthguzuntir currently lacks the military necessary to take down even a few demons.  That will change after our legendary armorer gets his hands on some adamantine wafers, however.  I have ordered adamantine production into full gear.

(So what if cave-ins are cheap?  I can't think of a more dwarven way of dealing with the problem :P)

So can you make a list of all female dwarfs?
so we can narrow down who is the queen
Suffer Not The Heretic To Live.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10