Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DF on the DS  (Read 1947 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: DF on the DS
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 09:25:39 pm »

With a lot of optimization and 99% of all features left behind?
For comparison, our chimney is a few inches across...

Maybe a fan-made DF recreation, losing almost all of it's most complex features, including 3D.
Eh?
Eh!

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 09:36:31 pm »

There's a huge DS homebrew community, and quite a variety of flashcarts available that allow you to load said homebrew programs onto the DS.  Oh, and I hope that my earlier comment didn't seem too mean-spirited: I was confused, and I panicked.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 10:25:42 am »

I dont want to bring down your entusiasm but we had this diskussion atleast 3 times (We need a better search algorithm or an tagging option for threads ... seriously) and it has shown that the handconsoles that are avaibable today arent powerfull enought yet. Even the Iphone is a little bit to slow.

Maybe force a search on the 'Subject' line and a 'Maybe you should post in one of these, instead?' message you have to deny first?

Also, I've said it before : No way DF will run on a DS, but there's a lot of remote desktop PC - DS apps out there

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 10:42:12 am »

Yeah, a DS won't happen, but something more serious with a hardware keyboard? Definetly will do with appropriate scaling down and trimming of the program. For a DS, DF Adventure Mode is the limit of dreams, it is not possible to fit the internal scale of DF into DS working in realtime. Then again, the BASICS of DF are simple enough, so if you want a game with dwarves running around digging stuff, it might happen, but it will be a separate project, not a version of DF.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 05:45:44 pm »

Yeah, full, realtime Fortress Mode is taxing on PCs, i shuder to think how much it'd have to be cut down to be playable on any handheld.

But Adventure Mode could work... basic movement and such on the buttons, other functions on the touch screen, maybe a nice gfx set... I'd pay 39.99 for that on the DS.

I don't use tilesets on the PC, but ASCII'd look wierd on the DS...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2008, 05:53:06 pm »

I don't think Adventure Mode would even work without serious trimming. Find a waterfall and the thing would drop to eighteen seconds per frame.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2008, 06:00:18 pm »

Hmmm.... good point. I haven't played Adv mode much...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2008, 06:03:10 pm »

Adventure mode is turn-based. Eighteen seconds per frame is exaggerating a bit, it could be streamlined for those purposes. Also don't forget that the DS will draw... 40x25 in ASCII, at most, and even less if it were graphic. Much more possibilities to trim away needless chunks.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2008, 08:01:32 pm »

We already had this conversation before infact on these fourms.

Im pretty sure that once i looked at the system specs of the DS....

Dwarf Fortress is not running on it, it would need a serious ram + cpu upgrade.

Toady could always setup a basic version of DF for it. But he should work on the real DF :)
There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2008, 08:21:54 pm »

Not only have we had this conversation before, but the fact that we've had this conversation before has been brought up in this thread several times.

I would put a smilie here to reduce the malice in that comment, but I'm engaged in an eternal jihad against all forms of emoticon.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2008, 08:56:43 pm »

Adventure mode is turn-based. Eighteen seconds per frame is exaggerating a bit, it could be streamlined for those purposes. Also don't forget that the DS will draw... 40x25 in ASCII, at most, and even less if it were graphic. Much more possibilities to trim away needless chunks.

If things like flows aren't calculated constantly and instead are only calculated once per turn, you might have a point, but otherwise, again, you'd have to seriously cripple the game. Have you ever seen the DS's specs?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2008, 09:04:53 pm »

hehe. malice.

But yeah. what about on a high end platform?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2008, 02:50:08 pm »

I would put a smilie here to reduce the malice in that comment, but I'm engaged in an eternal jihad against all forms of emoticon.

Let me sum up my feelings abous this:

O.o     :D    ^____^    :P    ^.~   \"/(-.-)\"/
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..
Pages: 1 [2]