Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF on the DS  (Read 1950 times)

lucinthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF on the DS
« on: December 27, 2008, 03:54:49 pm »

I just got a DS from my lovely wife for our anniversery a few weeks ago, and I keep thinking...  I would LOVE to have a portable DF, the double screen is very similar to the various screens on the main window, using your stylus to select different tiles, draw out mining sections, ect.   Pressing and holding different buttons can bring up certain menus, either stylus or d pad selectable.  And there are a lot of homebrew DS apps out now for putting various applications on a DS.  I just think that it would need a LOT of code optimization to run well, but imagine when it comes out of beta, having a nintendo DS release?  (or wii, i would love to give orders with the wii Remote. )

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: DF on the DS
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 04:11:50 pm »

Erm, I don't know too much about the DS but....do you think that DF would run fast enough on it? I mean just imagine a fortress with 200+ dwarves for example..you need to have a good comp in order to have an acceptable FPS.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 04:44:33 pm »

Or if you'd like a watered down version of DF, and when I say watered down, imagine an ant peeing into the ocean.

So wait a few years, or get an incredible hulk version of your DS or Wii.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 04:53:35 pm »

I dont want to bring down your entusiasm but we had this diskussion atleast 3 times (We need a better search algorithm or an tagging option for threads ... seriously) and it has shown that the handconsoles that are avaibable today arent powerfull enought yet. Even the Iphone is a little bit to slow.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

lucinthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 05:09:02 pm »

hence why i said "I just think that it would need a LOT of code optimization to run well."  For all the calculations that the game does, it could run with a LOT less cpu than it currently takes. That's not been as much of Toady's concern, which I understand, he wants to make everything WORK before he makes it work fast.

And... even the Iphone?  The Iphone is NOT a gaming device, its going to be slower at processing such things than a DS or PSP.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 05:20:17 pm »

You could play something like Kobold Quest. Maybe.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 05:52:17 pm »

you think so? Ok then i have some numbers for ya:

IPhone
Arm 1176 Processors 667 MHZ (CPU).
128 MB Ram
120 MHZ GPU 

PSP:
333 MHZ CPU
32/64 MB Ram
166 MHZ GPU with 2 MB ram

Gamboy DS:

67 MHZ CPU
4 MB Ram
33 MHZ GPU with 656 Kbit Ram.

The IPhone runs on an bit slimlined "MAC OS X" the PSP and the DS have theyr own Firmware os systems so and now guess why i picked the i phone as fitting best handhelddevice for DF.

edit: By the way. If somebody is going to multilate its Iphone now i suggest an fullscreen setting with 60:32 grid and an 8:10 tileset (Iphone hold sideways). With 1920 Tiles on screen its almost as big then the original DF settings. Also you need the screen keyboard or full mouse support. Thought we have already an MAc version of DF maybe someone who has an i phone can do the test.

If you use an 10:10 tileset and an 48:32 Grid df can get a bit faster.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 06:13:14 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 06:30:00 pm »

It's been thought up and suggested before, and it's not going to happen until handhelds have 2ghz processors and 2gigs of ram.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 06:55:10 pm »

Yup. It's been beaten to death. All I need mention is that the DS has 4 MB of ram.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 07:29:46 pm »

I always thought of having it on a graphics calculator... until my laptop played it on 16fps at 60 population.
That really sucks.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 07:34:24 pm »

I can imagine Adventure Mode on the DS with a pre-gen world... but not actual DF.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 07:47:01 pm »

It's not even the sheer speed issue that irritates me, it's the fact that no-one bothers to ask just how Toady would get it on the DS.

Seriously, it boggles the mind.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 08:22:02 pm »

I suppose he'd program it. Seems the most sensible route, really, since shoving, hammering and bludgeoning don't work all that well.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 09:16:52 pm »

Reasonable man, that is possibly the wittiest thing I've read on these boards.

I think what he meant, though, is how he would load it onto the DS--through a cartridge, probably, but doesn't that take specialized hardware? Alternatively, he could do it through wireless transfer, but that would be spotty at best.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 09:20:11 pm »

Considering the feasibility of porting *any* of DF to *any* handheld, arguing how he'd get it onto the DS is like asking exactly how Santa Claus is going to fit down your chimney.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: [1] 2