Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Pyramid Challenge  (Read 3714 times)

Inari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pyramid Challenge
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 04:26:46 am »

Awesome idea, thank you, you've now given me a goal for my fortress (currently in its fourth year, see http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4247-closedoor).  End of year three: I'd carved out the royal mausoleum that lies at the heart of my pyramid.

Hey, I may only make it to tiny, but we'll see.  It'll be the dwarfy version, I'm not in a desert, but I do have white sand and lots of limestone, it seems to fit.  I'll post here on my progress.

It did get added to the wiki Challeges page, cool.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 10:44:27 am by Inari »

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 04:54:02 am »

Just my 2 bits here,
Ive seen it similar things done with the "Magma Mould"
Build an outer shell for the pyramid out of whatever, the dump layers of magma and water into the mould, if done right you should get a solid obsidan shape.
Ive seen a few giant cubes done this way, no reason a pyramid with a properly built mould couldn't.
Strip away the mould, then layer the outside with limestone(to hide your shameful obsidion secret). Cut your tunnels and ta-da!
Bury (Kill) the Pharoh, lock all your remaining dwarves inside, and watch the insanity sipral!
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008, 06:16:19 am »

Hey, can anyone give me alittle world genning advice? I've been screwing around trying to get a location as similar to Jack's as i can.

I'm trying to gen a pocket world, i decreased the number of races to 3 (and with some luck i'll only get dwarves, humans, and maybe elves, and thus avoiding pesky goblins and kobolds that will divert my attention) I decreased rainfall to about 2-3 (as opposed to 100), squealched ALL good and evil squares to allow for more civ safe habitats. I seriously ramped up the "middle elevation" stat, and i set a minimum number of deserts that i expect.

My problems are many fold:

When i tell my pocket world to have alot of deserts, it throws a fit and doesn't gen a world at all.

When i decrease the minimum number so it stops spazzing out on me, it only produces a small miniscule number of deserts.

When i decrease rainfall even more so that their is less vegetation and more deserts, it either throws a fit or it doesn't spawn a river at all.

with some luck i got a river going through the only two squares of deserts. Unfortunately, the ENTIRE desert was sitting on top of an aquifer. I simply can't work with that.

El Ruffianos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2008, 10:00:59 am »

Egyptian pyramids were only limestone on the outside. They were built with regular rock and then a layer of limestone was added. The reason why the pyramids in Egypt are just regular rock is because colonists stole the limestone to sell.

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2008, 12:50:25 pm »

I have heard that very rare maps (nothing you'll find in a desert I imagine) can have over 100 z-levels. If so, then that would allow for pyramids close to 200 tiles^2. Maybe is very selective circumstances, a 250x250 pyramid would be possible.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2008, 12:56:25 pm »

i once had a fort that had a bunch of z's, i forget how many. I'd used the world gen painter, and the fort spanned a desert at mid-altitude and a mountain at max altitude. talk about some steep cliffs.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2008, 12:56:49 pm »

Heh, funny a pyramid challenge should come up, I'm building a marble one right now with an inverse pyramid dug out underneath it. (well, more of a ziggurat really...)

Of course I'm not a big fan of the challenges that get posted here in general...this one's not too bad but I read the super-detailed ones with lots and lots of arbitrary rules and I just sort of roll my eyes and wonder how come the person making the challenge doesn't do it themselves to make sure it's even possible before asking other people too.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2008, 02:45:28 pm »

I have heard that very rare maps (nothing you'll find in a desert I imagine) can have over 100 z-levels. If so, then that would allow for pyramids close to 200 tiles^2. Maybe is very selective circumstances, a 250x250 pyramid would be possible.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=24641.msg286681#msg286681 120+z seed here- peak next to 'alley, see prior page for details.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Inari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2008, 04:10:06 pm »

Work has begun on the base of the above ground portion of my pyramid.  That part is only 29^2, but it will get larger as it goes underground. 

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2008, 08:58:49 pm »

Hey, can anyone give me alittle world genning advice? I've been screwing around trying to get a location as similar to Jack's as i can.

I'm trying to gen a pocket world, i decreased the number of races to 3 (and with some luck i'll only get dwarves, humans, and maybe elves, and thus avoiding pesky goblins and kobolds that will divert my attention) I decreased rainfall to about 2-3 (as opposed to 100), squealched ALL good and evil squares to allow for more civ safe habitats. I seriously ramped up the "middle elevation" stat, and i set a minimum number of deserts that i expect.

My problems are many fold:

When i tell my pocket world to have alot of deserts, it throws a fit and doesn't gen a world at all.

When i decrease the minimum number so it stops spazzing out on me, it only produces a small miniscule number of deserts.

When i decrease rainfall even more so that their is less vegetation and more deserts, it either throws a fit or it doesn't spawn a river at all.

with some luck i got a river going through the only two squares of deserts. Unfortunately, the ENTIRE desert was sitting on top of an aquifer. I simply can't work with that.

The world I'm using is not just desert... It has a lot of other features. It's just that it has a red sand desert with a bunch of brooks going through it. Next to it is a white sand desert with a bunch of silt stone.

detinith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2008, 10:23:27 pm »

I'm going a little dwarfy on this one. I'm making it out of clear glass with green glass portals, and obsidian mechanisms. Oh the mechanisms...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2008, 02:47:27 am »

Alright, I've searched for pyramids people have built and all I can say is that I'm a little disappointed.

This pyramid doesn't disappoint.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2008, 02:54:43 am »

Alright, I've searched for pyramids people have built and all I can say is that I'm a little disappointed.

This pyramid doesn't disappoint.
'tis mostly hollow.

Not to diss Sappho. We want solid, manly pyramids. Remember kids, wear protection when entering pyramids.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2008, 03:07:27 am »

I just imagined a bunch of kids wearing condom suits walking into a pyramid.

lolwut.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2008, 03:11:46 am »

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 [2] 3