Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Pyramid Challenge  (Read 3716 times)

Artyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pyramid Challenge
« on: December 27, 2008, 03:37:07 pm »

Alright, I've searched for pyramids people have built and all I can say is that I'm a little disappointed. None of the pyramids I saw followed the rules of proper pyramid building. So I give to you a real ancient engineering challenge (though it really only takes slave labor ;) ). There are two versions of this challenge; the dwarven, and the Egyptian. Of course the Egyptian is going to be harder, but the dwarven is still going to be a challenge. I'll get to making a stepped pyramid challenge, later, but for now it's just Egyptian. They come in 4 sizes.

Large - 250 tiles^2
Medium - 200 tiles^2
Small - 100 tiles^2
Tiny - 60 tiles^2

Egyptian Rules:

1. The pyramid must be built outside in a desert environment.

2. It must be built entirely out of limestone.

3. The inside must be made of constructed walls with a minimal interior: Only a few hallways with a couple tombs. Look up the interior of the Giza Pyramids for help.

4. It must be built upon bedrock, not sand.

5. The structure of each must look something like this:
Egyptian
^ = up ramp
O = wall
V = down ramp
. = open space
Code: [Select]
Level 2
.VVV.
.V^V.
.VVV.
Level 1
VVVVV
V^^^V
V^O^V
V^^^V
VVVVV
Level 0
^^^^^
^OOO^
^OOO^
^OOO^
^^^^^
Just keep going down until you reach your size.

6. While the inner walls can be built out of raw limestone, the ramps on the outside must be built of limestone blocks.

7. If you're feeling really artistic you can decorate the top layers with gold. Suggested only for the largest pyramids.

Dwarven Rules

1. They are the same as the authentic rules, but with exceptions to make it more unique.

2. You can build in any environment.

3. You can use any stone in its construction, though the inside should be all one stone as well as the outside, though they can be different.. Good for making the outside ramps something like Bauxite while the inside stone is granite, or something.

4. You can use any metal for the top.

5. You can have a larger interior complete with lots of treasure. Good for adventure mode.

6. And lastly, it can be underground! See if you can get a river of magma flowing around it.

Any questions? If not, get working! *CRACK!*

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pyramid Challenge
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 04:26:51 pm »

Possible issues:

a) Finding enough limestone.
b) Having an embark area with a high enough sky. Even a tiny pyramid is 30odd z-levels tall.
c) Your designs would have to have an odd number for their dimension to get the single peak ;p

Rough limestone requirements:
61: 57660
101: 260100
161: 1049760

For comparison purposes: An 8x8 embark area (Assuming 50x50, not 48x48) with three levels of fully concentrated limestone will only net 480000 blocks.

Edit: Math errors ;p
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 04:32:57 pm by Ashery »

Artyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 06:08:55 pm »

Possible issues:

a) Finding enough limestone.
b) Having an embark area with a high enough sky. Even a tiny pyramid is 30odd z-levels tall.
c) Your designs would have to have an odd number for their dimension to get the single peak ;p

Rough limestone requirements:
61: 57660
101: 260100
161: 1049760

For comparison purposes: An 8x8 embark area (Assuming 50x50, not 48x48) with three levels of fully concentrated limestone will only net 480000 blocks.

Edit: Math errors ;p
Solutions:
a) Use different stones? Something like diorite will blend right in. As long as the outer ramps are still limestone, it's fine.
b) Find an embark area with a low elevation. If it's not tall enough then, just dig down.
c) Now I feel dumb. Of course!

Thanks for the input. And this is a megaproject, it's going to be challenging, but not impossible.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 08:47:54 pm »

Your solution to b won't work.

"elevation" doesn't affect the available z-lvs up, surface hilliness does: you get 15z in each direction from the highest (natural) peak and lowest (natural) valley. (digging down still works tho)

chasams excepted, obviously.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 11:08:41 pm »

Trade for the authentic limestone?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 11:45:59 pm »

The last time I requested rock I got 4 pieces of it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 11:52:40 pm »

How about Mayan and other Native south american style pyramids?

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 02:01:24 am »

One of my 2 worlds has a red sand desert with a river running through it. It has a bunch of limestone along with granite and gabbro. I'm going to do this challenge!  :D

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 02:27:27 am »

One of my 2 worlds has a red sand desert with a river running through it. It has a bunch of limestone along with granite and gabbro. I'm going to do this challenge!  :D

Ha, that's uniquely awesome. Name the Dwarf that eventually gets buried there "Khufu" or something.

Just not "Tut", Tut wasn't buried in a pyramid, he was buried in a cave that was in the Valley of the Kings.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 03:06:52 am »

Tomb, they didn't find caves and just stuffed their god-kings in there. "Yeh, alright, he'll be ok."

They dug the whole frickin' thing out of a cliff.

They were fucking dwarves in Egypt!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 03:08:28 am »

Tomb,

Cave,

close enough.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 03:18:13 am »

Ha, that's uniquely awesome. Name the Dwarf that eventually gets buried there "Khufu" or something.

Just not "Tut", Tut wasn't buried in a pyramid, he was buried in a cave that was in the Valley of the Kings.

[the more you know]
I didn't need to know that. O_o' I just started and made the stupid move and started with 1 miner... All the others are masons and I changed the profession of the leader (who was an admin) to Pharaoh.

EDIT: This challenge should be added to the Challenges wiki page
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 03:23:24 am by Jack_Bread »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 03:25:42 am »

Hey, i wouldn't be surprised if that one miner manages to outwork all those masons. Just need some second hand farming and you have everything you need.

May need to wall off the map in case the goblins are particularly feisty, though.

Did you start with an anvil? What'd you start with? i've always believed that equipment > starting skills any day of the week.

I want you to document this pyramid in the Stories forum, keep track of everything! i wanna read.

EDIT: Hell, I'll gen a desert world and compete with you! My Pyramid will be better than your pyramid!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 03:39:03 am »

Hey, i wouldn't be surprised if that one miner manages to outwork all those masons. Just need some second hand farming and you have everything you need.

May need to wall off the map in case the goblins are particularly feisty, though.

Did you start with an anvil? What'd you start with? i've always believed that equipment > starting skills any day of the week.

I want you to document this pyramid in the Stories forum, keep track of everything! i wanna read.

EDIT: Hell, I'll gen a desert world and compete with you! My Pyramid will be better than your pyramid!
1 Trader(Pharoah), 5 Mason(Slaves), 1 Miner
100 Tower-caps, 95 Deer meat and Dwarven Wine, 1 Anvil, 1 Pick, 2 Dogs, 5 cats

Oddly, one of the cats quickly adopted the pharaoh. Also, cats cannot be killed and when they die, you have to bury them in grand tombs.

EDIT: We both use the stories forum to keep track of our progress! First to build the pyramid and bury the leader there wins!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 03:43:16 am by Jack_Bread »

Agent Fransis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 04:18:40 am »

The idea is pretty cool, but it will be ultra-tedious even for the medium pyramid. Also, you would need a very cliffy map to fit even the medium one, even if you dig down to the bottom. I'm not certain that the large and huge are even possible at all. Plus there's the materials issue. To have enough materials and space you would need a big map, and for the construction to take less then an eon you will need lots of slaves -> even slower.

But good luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3