Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Where Flesh Meets Flesh Mod  (Read 12212 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Fleshening!
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 12:39:16 am »

I agree with you, Deom, "damascus steel" has to go, and I'm willing to replace it with "patterned steel". Mosaic damascus is easily fixed to "mosaic steel". This is just my first day of kicking this around, so it won't all be perfect. Maybe I'll incorporate a "wootz iron" into the mix, perhaps as a required ingredient for patterned steel.

Probably, I'll be adding some more fantastical ores, and using them to replace some of the items currently in the formulas. The real headache is balancing all the new metal types, since I don't want it to be easy to forge the better ones.

Beyond the basics, and obvious things like adamantite and star rubies, I'm not quite sure of how scarcity works in DF. Maybe somebody could explain that to me, in detail?

To give an example of my relative knowledge/ignorance: I've got the idea that uranium can be found in lead deposits, which can be found in galena, but I'm not sure how the computer would determine how much of the lead is uranium.

I'm not so much aiming for reality, atleast above and beyond what's already going on in the game (admittedly a lot), as I am for a forging system that's very complete, interesting, and more balanced.

Uranium might not make the final cut, although I'd like to have it in the mod, somehow. I know it's a bit of a cop-out, but one of the reasons I want to "flesh out" the metals dwarfs can forge is to show that they're using techniques that we may not even know about, so maybe they just thought of a way that we didn't.
For they would be your masters.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 02:04:01 am »

Not sure if you realized this but you are only allowed a certain number of reaction slots (I think 25). So your plans maybe ruined when you run out of slots.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008, 02:56:46 am »

Hmmm...Yeah, that wouldn't be a lot of fun. 25? That seems improbably small. If that's the case, and that would be very sad if it is, then I may have to ask Toady nicely if he can expand that a bit. :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 03:55:14 am by SirHoneyBadger »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2008, 04:41:01 am »

25? Who told you this nonsense.
"Uncutter/deblocker" mod has reactions to roughen EVERY gem and stone type, and there're much more than 25 of them.

The issue about multiple ores: I tell you again, the Sean did it nicely and balanced things, he even made infusion and alchemy where you gain "fantasy" ores by combining usual metal with gems. However here comes the problem: mandates become too hard to complete. I mean, when your mayor mandates a construction of some "fluffymuffysteel" floodgate which requires a bunc of other magically smelt rare ores you just can't do it without cheating...

Mod Base thread. (there's a lot of mods done here, you can look into them if you want)

Minerals+ [v1.76] Mod thread. Note that nothing has changed in minerals/reactions from that release so it's still working.

The mod features:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note that minerals mod is considered "finished" and Sean no longer develops it so you may find something cool to add.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 04:52:16 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2008, 04:59:17 am »

Thanks Deon, I may borrow some of that.

I was actually considering using gems as metal components ('Star Metal' started out as incorporating star rubies and star sapphires) , but I couldn't remember if that was possible, or not.

I've decided I'll leave off of that, atleast for this mod, but if the Sean is doing good work, then I'll check it out.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2008, 05:09:38 am »

He did it long time ago, the forums just tend to forget what was already done and do it again and again (I mainly speak of hundreds "orks" and "dark elves" mods).

If you haven't seen it yet, I recommend you to look at Martial Arts mod. It's for an older version but it has very funny things (mainly for Adv. mode, but for Dwarf Fortress mode too). Where did you see a human master wrestler who roundhouse kicks zombie in the head, decapitating it? :)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2008, 12:00:59 pm »

JUST WAIT A MINNUTE HAR!

"Wootz" steel?

Aw... thats so sweet. Can you rename it to woose steel? :D

Ahem, as for plutonium, The only way to get that shiz is through a nuclear reactor, and they are only good as fuel for breeder reactors.

But, if you REALLY want to defy the laws of nature, then you can give both uranium and plutonium high fixed heats, so anyone handling it would either serioursly hurt their hands or burst into flames.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2008, 07:23:34 pm »

No, sorry woose1  ;D but nice try though!

"Uranium" in this case, is of the depleted variety, so no extra heat, just a very dense metal occasionally found in lead.

It might be interesting at some point to mod in some radioactive items that caused burns, but I'm not at that stage yet. Definitely something to think about, though.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2008, 08:11:20 pm »

No, sorry woose1  ;D but nice try though!

"Uranium" in this case, is of the depleted variety, so no extra heat, just a very dense metal occasionally found in lead.

It might be interesting at some point to mod in some radioactive items that caused burns, but I'm not at that stage yet. Definitely something to think about, though.

Maybe have it usable for ammunition?  ;) (There is an alloy called Staballoy that uses DU and, I think, tungense (sp?) that's used for larger AP munition ) Should be able to read off other metals that's used for ammo and figure it out, I recalls there are tags for such things in raw.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2008, 11:05:32 am »

meat.... WALLS?!
I've gotta try that! Finally, a use for them chunks!
3 chunks per wall, would you say?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2008, 03:08:19 pm »

there are some issues with more than 25 reactions causing problems, but I think that's being looked at.  (Future of the Forum recently)

I think that your metal stuff may be premature if you look at the new release.  I get the feeling that it may be possible to make metals that are good armor but bad weapons, good struts but bad chains, that kind of thing.  That would allow your alloys to have more depth...  (Especially since there are some things bronze is better for than iron)

Also, reading your stuff, it looked like a lot of places had additive alloys only.  AKA 1 iron + random crap = 1 better than iron.  Don't forget the advantages of 3 iron + random crap = 6 slightly worse than iron.

That's all for now

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2008, 04:37:32 pm »

there are some issues with more than 25 reactions causing problems, but I think that's being looked at.  (Future of the Forum recently)

I think that your metal stuff may be premature if you look at the new release.  I get the feeling that it may be possible to make metals that are good armor but bad weapons, good struts but bad chains, that kind of thing.  That would allow your alloys to have more depth...  (Especially since there are some things bronze is better for than iron)

Also, reading your stuff, it looked like a lot of places had additive alloys only.  AKA 1 iron + random crap = 1 better than iron.  Don't forget the advantages of 3 iron + random crap = 6 slightly worse than iron.

That's all for now

Just 1 word. Minerals+ mod. It does all that and more.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2008, 09:03:00 pm »

I'm looking forward to the ability to do that with weapons and armour, and also materials that are better for structural items, and maybe also materials that work better in mechanisms, and metals that work better in tools (tool steel)? Hopefully, weight of materials, and resistance to corrosion/rust (or heat, cold, acid, shock, whatever different types of damage will be in the game, now or eventually), will also become factors. Some materials might even work better when forged into blunt, or sharp, or pointy weapons, or resist against those specific types of damage better, or only be forgeable and/or useable by certain species.

As far as formulas for quantitative, over qualitative materials, that's a great idea too, but keep in mind that this is just a "master list" for now, and I'll be adding more eclectic formulas to the mix, like Mokume-gane type mixes for precious metals (pretty stuff, by the way, if you're interested):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mokume-gane

And things that will just be variations on a theme, like Bulat steel. I would also like to offer some magical materials that have actual abilities and qualities, beyond "makes a good sword". Until I have some idea of what magic system we'll be getting, though, that's going to be tricky.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 09:22:18 pm by SirHoneyBadger »

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2008, 12:14:07 am »

Using glass (raw or bars) is definitely possible for "Wootz steel" - I've done it myself in the Glass Fort mod.  Works fine.  I just used it in place of flux for regular steel though.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2008, 03:14:25 am »

Yep! Now that I know it can be done, I'll fix wootz.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7