Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: walls  (Read 2810 times)

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
walls
« on: December 21, 2006, 04:36:00 am »

we need the ability to build walls in dwarf mode. just like we build pillars.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: walls
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 04:43:00 am »

It's in the pipes.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

segmose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 07:43:00 am »

Often requested feature, but you need a way to stop walling up the entrance and making the fort inaccesable/immune from invasions.

(I know you can do the same with channals & bridges).

TakiJap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 08:03:00 am »

quote:

Often requested feature, but you need a way to stop walling up the entrance and making the fort inaccesable/immune from invasions

Why would this be an unwanted feature. It would just have to be thought as barricading your fortress, something dwarfes would most propably want to do. Just make those walls destroyable, they'd be like floodgates, but stronger. I often use floodgates, if I accidentaly make a room which isn't symmetrical and it bothers me.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 09:21:00 am »

I believe the idea is that eventually siegers will be able to burrow into your fort and mess you up pretty bad, so building walls will be added in around that time.

monolar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 06:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by segmose:
<STRONG>Often requested feature, but you need a way to stop walling up the entrance and making the fort inaccesable/immune from invasions.

(I know you can do the same with channals & bridges).</STRONG>

Requiring ventilation in your dungeon could solve this - though it would produce a whole new feature set in itself...

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 08:00:00 pm »

buildable walls could be made vulnerable (just like doors) to trolls and other brutes. that shouldn't be a problem. or am i wrong?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 04:53:00 pm »

I think rewall to a lot of people means actually sticking the original mountain wall back, in which case it's just a map feature instead of a building.  A "building" wall would be more like the fences from the other thread, except you could see through or hop over them.  I think something like these walls might exist when the human town buildings make more sense.  Actually filling in a mapsquare again requires more work on the part of the invaders, since they couldn't just break it.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 05:26:00 pm »

to me rewalling means just the ability to correct own mistakes. like if i dig the entrance tunnel 4 tiles wide there's no chance to place gates there. but if i could rewall just two tiles i would be able to hang a door.

qwip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 09:33:00 am »

Yes, I expected that the future re-walling feature would fill in the mountain again, not just a fence. In my imagining of the Dwarf Fortress universe, Dwarves ought to be able to rebuild a section of wall or even close off a hallway without the option becoming a "game breaker".

Re-building a wall should be a serious time and material investment. I don't think you want a Legendary Mason to be able to build walls faster than 'Novice Mining' invaders could dig/destroy them!  I don't know how many days duration, but maybe the raw material requirements would be 3-5 stone blocks per 'space'.

As for the issue of a re-built wall creating pathfinding errors: I do that all the time when I link doors to levers and I forget to "Pull the Lever" to open the doors. (Why can't my farmers find Plump Helmet Spawn? I've got 143 right here behind this, um, mechanized door. Oops!) So rebuilding a part of the mountain shouldn't(?) create any new types of pathfinding errors that players can't already cause through mechanisms or floods or cave-ins, etc.

The only other possible game-breaking issues I can think of might involve players who reach the chasm, but aren't ready for the creatures who are spawned by that trigger. So they wall off that hallway to prevent chasm critters from reaching them. But how is that different than pulling up a bridge or adding a flood or channel to block entrance for enemies? A re-wall would cause the same path-finding frustration to the antmen as any other defensive measures, wouldn't it?

And dwarves probably wouldn't just build an ugly clump of stone, they'd build a beautifully mason'd wall. So I'd expect it to show up as a 'smooth wall'. So purists would feel that they had to smooth all the surrounding walls (and floors?) to make it match.

How might you internally account for the re-wall "building"? I'd think you would have the dwarves uild it, but upon completion, it would become a mine feature, just like a smooth wall. It would have no built value, unless a regular smooth wall adds fortress value. (I doubt you could easily adapt your code to allow you to have a [d]esignation require raw materials)

But my imagining of this feature would depend on the addition of mining creatures being able to dig. Which, aside from the federal limit of the 168-hour work week, is probably the real dependency for you to implement the re-wall feature.

qwip

Efficiency is intelligent laziness

grendel

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 11:24:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by qwip:
<STRONG>Re-building a wall should be a serious time and material investment. I don't think you want a Legendary Mason to be able to build walls faster than 'Novice Mining' invaders could dig/destroy them!  I don't know how many days duration, but maybe the raw material requirements would be 3-5 stone blocks per 'space'.</STRONG>

Ewwww. This would be absurdly slow, and a requirement of 3-5 stone blocks for every rewall means that you'd be mining 5-10 squares just to get the stone you need to fill one back in.

You know, some of us want rewalling to actually be a usable feature instead of a giant pain in the ass.

If people rewalling faster than invaders can dig becomes a problem, then maybe the invaders should dig faster, rather than have rewalling times measured in ice ages   :roll:

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 01:35:00 pm »

i think qwip's point was to make rewalling somewhat expensive so that people wouldn't just rewall everything left and right, but built walls only where it is crucial (like in example i've provided).

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 03:03:00 pm »

Three blocks for a Smooth Wall, maybe three rocks for a Rough Hewn Wall is a good requirement.  A wall is obviously a lot more material than a support.  Maybe a double job to construct, architect to design and either a miner or a mason to construct.  Three metal blocks for a metal wall?  Unminable bronze walls?  Platinum walls in the Baron's bedroom?

However, I'd be just as happy with the ability to smooth over ore and gems if I didn't mind losing the minerals.  That would appease my sense of neatness without coding in a potentially game altering change.  A lot of the new forts I've been starting are giving me a headache while designing a symmetrical entry cavern and catching alot of turquoise and malachite in the design.

Seshat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 04:45:00 pm »

I'd just like walls. Regular 'hey, I can't walk through this, and water doesn't go through it either, and I can smooth it or carve it or put fortifications in it or gee, it's just like this stone stuff' walls.

Right now I'm using floodgates or doors as quasi-walls where I feel I need them.

How dwarf-ish is a dwarf who can't make a simple stone wall? Even humans can build stone walls!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 05:58:00 pm »

I just use statues, doesn't look as good, but it seems to work.

Unless it causes some bug/lag I'm not aware of.

Pages: [1] 2