Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making wooden weapons?  (Read 1334 times)

Warlord of Woe

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Axeman : : Legendary Armor user
    • View Profile
Making wooden weapons?
« on: December 26, 2008, 11:31:52 pm »

As far as I have seen, found by search, or heard of, the only wooden weapons in the game are made by Elves. I was planning on modding in simple training weapons for Dwarves that can be made of wood when a cruel realization came to me; I don't know how. Is it possible to specify that certain weapons can be made out of wood, like an item token or something?
BLOOD FOR BLOOD GOD!

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making wooden weapons?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 03:22:40 am »

... One quick search later  ::)

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25008.0

Third post.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 03:27:00 am »

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Sorry! Your efforts are in vain! the only way to get dwarves to make wooden weapons is to add [WOOD_PREF] to their entity entry.

This allows you to make wooden weapons, but unfortunately, the magic of [WOOD_PREF] entails alot of things, and one of those things is that dwarves won't be able to make metal armor anymore!

So do so at your own discretion!

So sad. Hopefully future versions will have improved modding potential, and little things like this can be avoided.

Yes, i did read the thing above, but it just feels bastardized if its made at a bowyer's shop. Not to mention that you have to continue modding the game in order to avoid odd mishaps in dwarven AI.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 03:30:17 am by chaoticjosh »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 01:35:16 pm »

There shouldn't be any mishaps in AI if you add blowgun line to melee weapons.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 06:31:24 pm »

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Sorry! Your efforts are in vain! the only way to get dwarves to make wooden weapons is to add [WOOD_PREF] to their entity entry.

This allows you to make wooden weapons, but unfortunately, the magic of [WOOD_PREF] entails alot of things, and one of those things is that dwarves won't be able to make metal armor anymore!

So do so at your own discretion!

So sad. Hopefully future versions will have improved modding potential, and little things like this can be avoided.

Yes, i did read the thing above, but it just feels bastardized if its made at a bowyer's shop. Not to mention that you have to continue modding the game in order to avoid odd mishaps in dwarven AI.

I didn't added WOOD_PREF to my dwarves when I added capacity to make dagger, and expanded to wood and bone ( and I used similar method to make it at the bowyers) And so far, I haven't seen any breakage.

ed: doh, meant to say bone instead of metal, and yes I consider making it at bowery to be a bit hackish, but it's the only way, I like to think of it as applying experience at making non-metal bows to making stabbities that won't break so easily  ;D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 06:33:56 pm by TettyNullus »

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 07:02:41 am »

if you create a new type of ammo, and make the ranged from the specified to this new ammo, but dont add the ammo to any entity.
so you can make the weapon out of wood at the bowyer, but as no civ knows about the ammo they never use it ranged.

at least in theory
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 11:59:14 am »

If you REALLY want to make wooden weapons at somewhere, anywhere, besides the bowyer's shop, then you could add a smelter reaction that has wood logs as a reagent and wooden weapons as a product... you could even make them ridiculously high-quality if you wanted to, I think. Maybe.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 12:52:39 pm »

If you REALLY want to make wooden weapons at somewhere, anywhere, besides the bowyer's shop, then you could add a smelter reaction that has wood logs as a reagent and wooden weapons as a product... you could even make them ridiculously high-quality if you wanted to, I think. Maybe.

at least craving a sword at the bowyer is more realistic than to "smelt" wood
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 03:24:44 pm »

I don't think you can change the quality of anything produced at a smelter. Which would be fine for training weapons but problematic for actual military use. Or not depending on what sort of mood your in.

Edit: Just remembered something I wanted to ask. Is it possible to make wooden armor. I'm running an anti elf fort made of wood with wooden weapons and would like some wooden armor to really tick them off.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.