Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do you solve the tame animal problem?  (Read 1585 times)

Zaibusa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you solve the tame animal problem?
« on: December 26, 2008, 02:31:21 pm »

My fortress is really getting overcrowded with animals. How do you all solve this problem?
Getting tired of ordering kittens and all those little beasts to get slaughtered.
Is there like a Mod to do this? Or to automatically kill all unadopted and tamed animals?

I have a Quad Core CPU and still the performance is pretty bad

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: How do you solve the tame animal problem?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 02:34:35 pm »

Tweak can be used to manually kill each individual animal through the use of tile edit or, if you can get it working, the heal/hurt function.  The latter doesn't work unless you fiddle with some inner workings of the program I don't personally understand.  You could also just order every last animal to be butchered from the Animal screen of the stock menu (z).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 02:38:35 pm »

I manage it with selective culling and keeping the baby blighters in a cage.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 03:24:38 pm »

Why do you keep animals if you don't want to eat them?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 03:26:56 pm »

My fortress is really getting overcrowded with animals. How do you all solve this problem?
Getting tired of ordering kittens and all those little beasts to get slaughtered.
Kill off any female pet cats, and as many male ones as you need to get the corridors clear. Kill off all members of any species you don't need (right now I have one species for meat and bones, another for training, and a third for its modvalue. I'd like alligators too, but the elves have yet to bring me a female one).

Then designate a 1x1 meeting area in a corner near the butcher's shop. All the stray animals will gather there, and your butcher won't have to chase them through the crowded corridors.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Zaibusa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 03:29:23 pm »

You could also just order every last animal to be butchered from the Animal screen of the stock menu (z).

sweet! Didn't know you could butcher from there.
Now i have a huge slaughter qeue

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 04:35:10 pm »

Cats kill vermin, dogs kill animals and humanoids and absorb bolts instead of dwarves.
Otherwise, I keep a breeding colony of livestock for later eatin's.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Zaibusa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 05:12:20 pm »

Cats kill vermin, dogs kill animals and humanoids and absorb bolts instead of dwarves.
Otherwise, I keep a breeding colony of livestock for later eatin's.

and they make your dwarves happy.
besides, i'm creating a zoo right now. 1 animal of each kind behind a window of glas  8)

Majorlag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 06:13:57 pm »

I haven't tried this yet because it hasn't become a problem in my current fort, but it might be possible to cage pets (and thus keep them from breeding or pathfinding). Set up something like this:

Code: [Select]
        I
OOOO##########
6  +^^^^^^^^^+
OOOOOOOOOOOOOO

6 - Lever
I - support
# - Fortification
O - Wall
^ - cage trap
+ - door

Make the door near the lever not pet-passable
have a dwarf with a pet go pull the lever
the lever collapses the support which causes a cave-in
which knocks the animal unconscious
which triggers the cage trap
the pet is now in the cage where it can do no harm to your framerate and it isn't dead so the dwarf doesn't get unhappy thoughts. Might even be able to sell it off, though I'm not sure what that would do to the owner.

The True Adventures of ___________

Insight into the minds of Dwarf Fortress Players - Random Quote of the Month:
He once spent a week visiting a cave in which there lived seven giants.  Each day, he would come in, track down each of the giants, and beat it to the point of unconsciousness.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 04:35:26 am »

Just so's you know, DWAAARF FORTRESS only uses a single core at a time, so the quadiness isn't terrifically helpful, FPS-wise.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 05:42:22 am »

Just so's you know, DWAAARF FORTRESS only uses a single core at a time, so the quadiness isn't terrifically helpful, FPS-wise.

In fact, having a quad core will HURT DF performance, since quad cores tend to have a slower clock speed individually then a monster single core. 

Zaibusa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 11:17:54 am »

In fact, having a quad core will HURT DF performance, since quad cores tend to have a slower clock speed individually then a monster single core. 

no, that's wrong. Mine is clocked at 3Ghz and i have much more frames than with a single core.
Because there is one CPU wich is ONLY for Dwarf Fortress. Resulting in a way better performance

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 11:35:47 am »

Dwarf fortress runs just fine on my dual-core, to the point of taking up an entire core sometimes. My last fortress pushed me up to 60% CPU usage, on a 64-bit dualcore.

EDIT: Critical typo!

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 11:40:14 am »

My computer plays Dwarf Fortress fine, although it does technicly count as a vehicle due to it's size and the fact it needs 40 gallons of un-leaded petrol to function for 20 minutes.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 06:23:21 pm »

My computer plays Dwarf Fortress fine, although it does technicly count as a vehicle due to it's size and the fact it needs 40 gallons of un-leaded petrol to function for 20 minutes.
You're kidding, right?  That sounds like one crazy old computer.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: [1] 2