Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Quicker Smelting  (Read 1688 times)

cooky173

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quicker Smelting
« on: December 26, 2008, 09:08:36 am »

I decided to write some new smelter reactions to process ores faster. Each job now uses 5 ore to produce five bars. I also modded steel and pig iron making, to produce 10 steel bars at a time, and 5 pig iron bars at a time. Add the following to your reaction_standard. Note you will have to regenerate your world.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They work off METAL_ORE, not STONE:rock name, so galena and tetrahedrite can now be used to produce 5 silver bars straight out. (Fixing this would mean about 4 reactions each for copper and silver, unless you want to change the matgloss for galena and tetrahedrite, but doing that would break individual smelting)

I chose 5 arbitarily, I haven't tried setting it any higher than that.

Multiple ores of the same metal can be smelted together.

I did a lot of copy pasting, I don't see any mistakes, but I may have told it to produce tin from zinc or something. Let me know if I did. I also haven't tested steel making, please let me know if theres a problem with it.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Quicker Smelting
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 01:20:50 pm »

Problem is, it doesnt work if you have 4 iron ores. :P

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 02:25:17 pm »

The other problem is that there is currently a maximum of 16 reactions. This might get fixed in the next version.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 12:16:22 am »

Kind of silly to be able to shove arbitrary amounts of stuff into a smelter at once, plus for some reason it only takes a single piece of fuel to smelt five times the amount.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 12:45:48 am »

It might be nice if, at some point, your dwarfs could construct larger smelters that are able to do more work at a time. Larger smelters might even be (slightly) more efficient, saving a tiny bit on fuel costs. 
For they would be your masters.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 12:51:17 am »

It might be better if some amount of foresight is implemented into REPEAT jobs, such as item haulers carrying thread to a weavery so weavers spend less time hauling and more time weaving.

Has that been suggested yet? i think i'm gonna suggest it.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 03:31:55 pm »

The problem with that is unrealistic space issues; it would often negate the need for a stockpile if a workshop can fit an infinite amount of stuff inside it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

cooky173

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 12:57:37 am »

The other problem is that there is currently a maximum of 16 reactions. This might get fixed in the next version.

Hmm, all the reactions (old and new) seem to be working for me. I do have the new reactions saved in a seperate file though.

cooky173

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 01:01:08 am »

Kind of silly to be able to shove arbitrary amounts of stuff into a smelter at once, plus for some reason it only takes a single piece of fuel to smelt five times the amount.

I do my best to only use magma smelters, so I didn't worry about changing fuel requirements. If you wanted to change it, you would have to add a new reagent, 4 bars of coke. I think it would go [REAGENT:4:BAR:COKE] As for putting arbitary amounts in, well, I guess if you can put in 3 or 4 bars for steel making, why not put in 5 for smelting.

cooky173

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 01:02:51 am »

It might be better if some amount of foresight is implemented into REPEAT jobs, such as item haulers carrying thread to a weavery so weavers spend less time hauling and more time weaving.

You can do that in a way - a custom stockpile which is set to take from a pile somewhere. With hauling disabled for your weavers.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 10:21:49 pm »

You can do that in a way - a custom stockpile which is set to take from a pile somewhere. With hauling disabled for your weavers.

Not quite what he means. Even if you do this, your weaver still needs to leave the workshop in order to get the thread or whatever it is they use as material.

What he means is that, instead of the weaver leaving the shop to get more material, another dwarf entirely comes along and deposits material into the workshop, so the weaver can keep weaving while other dwarfs do ALL the haulling. The weaver just sits in the workshop and works as long as the other dwarfs can keep them supplied.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 10:28:12 pm »

Uh... Do you by chance mean a maximum of 16 on the smelter menu?
I have far more then 16 working simultaneously in my worlds.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

cooky173

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 07:31:02 am »

What he means is that, instead of the weaver leaving the shop to get more material, another dwarf entirely comes along and deposits material into the workshop, so the weaver can keep weaving while other dwarfs do ALL the haulling. The weaver just sits in the workshop and works as long as the other dwarfs can keep them supplied.

Ah, like a stockpile inside the workshop, I like that

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 12:41:04 pm »

Uh... Do you by chance mean a maximum of 16 on the smelter menu?
I have far more then 16 working simultaneously in my worlds.
For that matter, aren't there a LOT more than 16 in vanilla DF?
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 11:53:25 pm »

Question: 16 reactions maybe means you can have a total of 16 items combined into a single item, via a reaction?

Example: 15 bars of iron + 1 unit of fuel combined in a smelter = 1 bar superheavyiron. 
For they would be your masters.
Pages: [1] 2